New and Poor: Best way to build wealth?

VeeSe

Diabloii.Net Member
Hey all,

I was just wondering what the best way to build wealth was for someone who was new and didn't have great items yet. I read a lot of these threads and guides and the recommended items are just so far out of reach, like I don't have any of them pretty much. I have one character up to 70 but he's not strong enough to really do anything besides Normal bounties and rifts.

Is the best way of building wealth just to keep grinding bounties and the occasional rifting in Normal? I'm at the point now where if I try to enchant a legendary I have, I better get it in 2-3 tries because I don't have the materials to keep going after that and I have to grind for awhile to get enough to try again a couple times, and that doesn't seem too productive. I'm still expecting the answer to be just to keep grinding bounties since they are the most rewards per time spent and at some point it will exponentially get better once I am able to get to do Torment rifts or something.

Thanks!

tougeznut

Diabloii.Net Member
You can get any one character pretty well geared with rares relatively quickly. If you just start a normal game and open it to public you can do A1 bounties for a cache in like 5 minutes. Doing that for about two hours will net you a stash full of cache bags, and some decent rares along the way.

If you can farm normal bounties comfortably, then just save the good rares for later. Don't enchant them quite yet. Wait until you have collected/salvaged several hundred rare and blue materials to start enchanting. After opening ~25 cache bags you'll probably have found good enough gear to handle T1. You can make rings and amulets that are amazing with the jeweler too.

Just keep at it. If you just put it a couple of hours you'll have pretty decent rares in every slot. In hardcore you can play up to T2 with well rolled/enchanted rares. In softcore probably even T3/4.

mrcnortheast

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm not sure what you consider rich. But I've never had above 50mil. I'm currently at 22M'ish I think, up from 12Mil two or three weeks ago.

I'm sure other more experienced players will have more ideas. But yes keep playing, sell all yellows and blues to the vendors, instead of salvaging for the parts. Click/Break all items, decent amounts of gold to be had by doing so, and speed runs. I used to entirely clear an area, it is Sslllloooowwww. Doing just quick bounties and known areas that have gold are much quicker at getting exp, leveling, and getting gold. I do the occasional Rift to make it interesting, but sometimes Rifts are full of monsters, and sometimes not. Bounties I can count on.

Over the last couple of months (I only play 1-2 hours 3/4 days a week) I went from one level 70 character (Wizard), till now, I have four. Only my Barb and Monk are still at level 60.

I've spent lots of $$$ on item upgrades, and gem upgrades. Otherwise I'd be at 100mil by now.
But gold is just there to upgrade your items. I do however now need more veiled crystals as I tried to spent my last two FS today with the mystic and didn't notice it cost 50 crystals per roll on a leg. I used to have 1500 crystals, now I have 32.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

VeeSe

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the tips. I didn't mean gold so much as just items and crafting materials and stuff, but it's all the same. If you have a lot of one you probably have a lot of everything else too. I have 3 million gold right now and that's pretty much the most I've ever had. Just gotta keep grinding it I guess.

Artemis

Diabloii.Net Member
If you're at level 70 but only doing Normal, I would guess that the gear you're wearing could be optimized. No riches needed, just different choices.

If you post your battletag, we can take a look at your characters.

Wolfpaq777

Diabloii.Net Member
You don't really need gold as much as you need gear. I just hit 70 with my first hardcore character and my plan has been steadily upping the difficulty as i farm bounties and gain rift shards.

Once I have a nice stockpile and gear up to where I'm comfortable with torment 1 difficulty, I'm just going to spam rifts which is the optimal way to farm for gear. Legendary drop boost & blood shards galore.

To help gear up I've been crafting, enchanting and of course farming. Pick up blues & whites as well as normals until you have ~1k of each material.

Feel free to check out my bnet profile. If you're not playing hardcore, you definitely don't need the emphasis on toughness that I do.

Last edited:

oup

Diabloii.Net Member
bounties in torment difficulty with steady and fast group can make you some very very nice gains.

Flux

Administrator
It's a very different scenario in RoS than in D3, since gold isn't the whole goal, since the AH is gone. I remember starting on HC in D3v and it was all about grinding MP0 or MP1 with my main goal being to find gems and Tomes of Secret, since I could sell them for good gold on the AH, and by far the best way to gear up was to earn gold, since there were rares and low end uniques for 1m or so that were better than I'd have found in 50 hours of playing.

RoS/D3v2 are very different since everything is BoA, so now gold is just something you need for enchanting. The D3v way of gearing up, by playing on a low difficulty and picking up gems/mats, is no more. Good gear drops much more often in RoS, but it's entirely on you to find it yourself. You can't find X and exchange it for Y.

D3 has always been very much a "rich get richer" sort of game economy, where the higher difficulty you can do, the more rewards you earn for doing it. That wasn't entirely the case in D3v since there was Magic Find, but today all that really matters for your rewards is how high a diff level you play on. So the trick is to move up in difficulty as quickly as you can, which is obviously a more complicated issue in Hardcore. As some others have said, the best exploit in the game now is split farming and multiplayer in general, since you get drops for things other players kill. Join a clan and be nice to people and ask for help and join open games. Plenty of players have far more time to play than you, and won't mind helping out, throwing you some of the legs they don't want/need in MP games, etc.

As for solo and gearing, crafted sets for armor are probably the best exploit, especially since legendary materials were removed so you no longer need to farm anything specific to get them. Aughild's and Asheara's sets have great offensive and defensive bonuses, which really help you go up in difficulty in Hardcore.

Also, stick to one class as you gear up. With smart drops you really get rewards themed to your class. You'll find more useful stuff, and also have more Souls for crafting since so much of what you find will be redundant. Much better progress in D3 comes from specializing in one class and building them, rather than spreading your progress and gear around 3 or 4 different classes at the same time. And since all rewards are greatly increased on higher difficulty, one char who can roll T3 or T4 or higher will easily earn heaps of Shards and Souls and gold that you can give to other new lvl 70s to let them gear up MUCH faster than your first char to reach that point.

BaronScarpia

Diabloii.Net Member
I have issues with troll's zuni helms of trolling rng and I won't lie to you, that brings my will to play down sometimes, but I feel like the goal is reaching torment asap, then finding a torment level that allows you to melt stuff fast, so you can get forgotten souls to craft your stuff.

I've found almost everything I don't want to use, like Kridershot, fist of Az'tarrask and I'm only missing almost every single item for my build :) (seriously, I've got every WD helm, except Split tusk, quetzacoalt and gold Mask of Jeram). I also got some set pieces on alts/stash.

I have a specific build for normal a1 bounties (Jaunt, horrify/stalker, more cdr than people would be comfy with), then I run rifts on T-something or even expert/master if I just want souls and shards (for some reason guardians seem to drop an ok number of shards and even more souls on master - with faster clear times - so I could craft aughilds, cain's, etc. There's zero science on the "higher soul drop rate", maybe it was my rng or dumb luck, but I kinda dropped the science and got my souls :)).

In other words, normal a1 bounties for keystones, Rifts (master for shards, T1+ after crafting basic sets), then Kadala yourself and vendor non-legs from time to time to get some gold.

(This guy gave some ideas on mats farming I'll test on seasons.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/threads/farming-yellows-and-blues-fast-a-result-of-piro-marella-farm.863577/

If it works, I'll vendor everything from kadala and I'll pack his run on my leveling run).

Then you proceed, clearing torment rifts at decent speed, doing a1 bounties for RoRG (unless you really need another item, look for royal ring of grandeur), rinse and repeat.

That's what I do.