Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New And Looking for Help

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by KO Bossy, Feb 28, 2016.

1. KO Bossy

KO Bossy IncGamers Member

Hey all, I just joined. Nice to meet you.

Anyway, I'm a long, long time player, and felt like playing again. Played mostly online but got tired of it. I'm kind of new into the foray of the world of single player D2 and am enjoy it so far.

I was wondering if I could get any tips. Right now, I started maybe 2 months ago, I've got a level 87 Trapsin. I've been doing LK runs in Hell, mostly. Got some good runes so far (including a Ber, which I was stoked about). But my gear isn't that great. I see guys here with multiple level 90+ guys. How do you achieve that? I mean, online was easy, just leech Baal or CS, but doing those myself is proving somewhat difficult. I mean, I can do it, but it takes time and is slow. You don't use programs to run, do you? I've never liked that, it sort of defeats the purpose of playing. Or have you guys/gals been building them up for years?

Obviously getting good gear is my priority right now, since I've technically beaten the game (Baal on Hell). But other than LK, I know the other main run areas (Pit, Ancient Tunnels, CS, Baal, Pindle, Council, etc). Problem is, they're kind of challenging. I see people here doing 3k + runs. How do they have the patience? Not to mention certain areas featuring many light-immunes are kind of a problem for me. Can't find any decent items to socket, either.

Anyone have any tips? I got lucky and found a Shako, but that's about it. Trapsin maybe isn't the best MF character. Should I perhaps start a light Sorc or MFDin and farm with those, transferring gear over to my Trapsin? But since a light Sorc needs Infinity, should I maybe just farm runes in LK and build up for now? I'm kind of unsure where to go from here.

Now I know that with ATMA you can switch gear among SP characters. I'm gonna download that and find out how it works. I also need to get the patch allowing Ladder runewords on SP.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

2. logoutzero

logoutzero IncGamers Member

Welcome. Start here and there. It's mundane, but they are stickied for a reason, and will answer your questions about bots, mods, et all.

Your first couple of characters in SP can be challenging. Getting to level 90 isn't really much once you've established yourself, and have a nice stash of items and characters to use. A couple of hours should be enough to get into the 80's if you can rush and leech yourself.

MOST players here in the SPF live by 3 things: GoMule (or ATMA) for muling, RWM for ladder-only runewords, and multi.dll so you can LAN with yourself. These tools, while viewed differently by different people, are typically accepted around here, and will make your transition to Single Player much, much easier.

As for building wealth, I always have the easiest time with a fishymancer (Skellies+CE) or a Blizzard sorc (focusing mostly on AT) Get a muling program up, and start running areas and bosses and building items for new characters.

KO Bossy likes this.
  3. KO Bossy

OK I'm a bit confused.

First, which is better? GoMule or ATMA? And does it mean to LAN with yourself? For multiplayer?

4. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

In terms of level 90+ characters: looking at the data I have from my last two chars to reach that high it looks like it took me around 20 hours apiece (WW barb and Blizz sorc) which I'm sure could have been optimized further, so it's not a particularly involved process once you have good gear. For those who use multiple instances to self-MP it could doubtless be done even faster.

As to being a good MF character: trapsin isn't the best choice for building up wealth from nothing (Blizzard Sorceress wins that quite easily) but the trapsin isn't bad. Make sure you have the basics from Nightmare Mephisto, then do some Hell Mephisto runs for things like Harlequin Crest and hit up the Pits or Pindle, if you'd rather use the sin than something else.

Running LK is definitely something you'll want to do at some point, but whether you start off doing that or something else is up to you. There are plenty of builds that can be played just fine without high-end runewords but very few high-end runewords that make a build shine without other complementary gear. It's up to you to determine how you want to split your time between your options there.

In terms of time spent playing, I've spent 1300-1400 hours playing Diablo 2. Around here that establishes me as a light-weight. Look at the "Joined" dates on the forum to get an idea how long folks on this forum have been playing and how little sense it makes to expect to have the same level of wealth as them in a few days.

On that line it sounds like you may have something of an overestimation of how things should be going for you. I never bothered with online Diablo 2, but if it's anything like Diablo 3 then online you could get pretty much whatever you wanted without doing any work. Well in Single Player, by definition, you only get things you spend time on. So go ahead and expect everything to take awhile. And temper your expectations with how much you actually play: you tell us you've been playing for two months, but there's an enormous difference between two months playing a couple hours a day and two months or playing an hour or so per week. The first example should be capable of being quite well kitted in that time frame while the second would expect to be still trying to get off the ground, etc.

As for tips, play what you like. You've played Diablo 2 before so decide where it is you want to be, set up a plan to get there and execute the plan. If you have detailed questions we can certainly try to answer them, of course, but it's still your game to play how you want to.

As for ATMA or GoMule: GoMule is newer and has a few more features, but can be a little more tough to get working. Ideally you would install both GoMule and your Diablo 2 in your My Documents folder to get around permission issues. ATMA, as far as I know, pretty much just works as long as you run it as Administrator in Windows though again it has a few fewer features and is a little less user friendly (I guess that's arguable, GoMule isn't exactly a hand-holding extravaganza itself) but at their heart they both do the same thing: let you store a practically unlimited amount of items and mule things around between your stashes and characters. Biggest difference between the two, as far as I know, is ATMA doesn't properly support having Tokens or Essences in stashes, so only move those around on characters if you're using ATMA; GoMule is fine with having them in stashes.

KO Bossy likes this.
  5. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

GoMule allows you to pick up more than one item at once. Atma is drag and drop. Obviously use Gomule.

If you have problems, do not install in program files. Install into a folder you create yourself, such as C:/Diablo. Newer versions of Windows don't like you manipulating Program Files stuff.

As for leveling, you can adjust the players settings. Much, much easier than online. P8 pit runs are not hard for most characters and will easily get you too 90. Heck, Jiansonz is just about there on his untwinked restricted Guardians.

KO Bossy likes this.
  6. Timinator

Timinator IncGamers Member

Do what is fun for you. When the fun becomes work I burn out. Grogs a living legend of the past got a traps in to 98. He was going on perfect gear for his Baal runs.

Don't be put off that you don't have all the levels or gear, if you keep playing that will change.

Depending what you enjoy, look into some other characters or builds. For me variety is partly what keeps me coming back. I have a few pipe dreams I work towards and track my progress. Eg Grail, rune word Grail, 99. And I have 100 characters in progress over many patches. I want to finish them all one after another one weekend.

I have spreadsheets to keep track of stuff and show its not all in vain

KO Bossy likes this.
  7. KO Bossy

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

I don't suppose there's a way to rush SP characters? Starting A1 Norm is such a drag...

8. PandadudeSP

PandadudeSP IncGamers Member

I recently made a kicker/trapsin, and for a pure trapper I would recommend the cow level. Lots of monsters that blow up with DS and only bosses can have immunities. You won't be able to get all items, but I got a lot of elite armors and weapons for making runewords. For actually getting runes, I've had success with a light sorc for running hell countess, who can ofc also run LK faster than an assassin. I don't have infinity, but simply ignore light immune monsters.

9. nebux

nebux IncGamers Member

welcome to the SPF!
    *kicks KO Bossy shins*
    /varnish

KO Bossy likes this.
  10. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

Make a Blizzsorc - run Meph, run AT, run LK = win.

If you want to stick with the Trapsin - Eldrich and Pindle are great. Cows for socketables and stuff. LK is too slow with a Sin to be worth the time investment.

Get the above suggested forum allowed mods for easy mode if you feel like it.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    KO Bossy likes this.
  11. Pb_pal

Pb_pal IncGamers Member

Sins CAN work in LK. You'll never get sub-20 second run times, but it can be totally fine to do in the meantime while you can gear out a sorc to take over. I started out with a sin in LK and she had 25-28 sec run times with a way less than optimal map.

Load up on FRW charms, max BoS and load the +Shadow disciplines gear on. It actually takes her less time to get from the docks to the WP than it does for my sorc to backtrack to the WP and go to A4, and you get rid of the (slight) annoyance of having to act-jump at the end of the run, you can just cut it after the last chest.

Is it ideal? No. But it can be a pretty decent place-holder until you gear up the sorc. It also lets your sorc concentrate on finding a really good Meph/AT map, without having to try and score an LK map with her too. Not to mention the fact that she's already built and you can start right away (after a quick respec, of course).

KO Bossy likes this.
  12. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

All a Sorc needs to run LK is 105fcr and a decent blocking shield. That's it. And it's still faster, much faster. Any character can work, but sorc is the cheapest, fastest and easiest way to go.

KO Bossy likes this.
  13. KO Bossy

What's this easy mode I'm hearing about? Is it a way to get P8 drops playing on P1 or something? Where can I get it?

14. Friiser

Friiser IncGamers Member

/players8 <--- type that into the chat box (hit enter, type, hit enter)...you'll get a confirmation indicating that the players has been set to 8 (don't recall the exact verbiage, and I'm not on my home computer). It sets the monsters (and their HP, experience gained, etc) as if you were playing with 7 others in the game.

15. KO Bossy

Oh I know that. But someone said there was a mod for easy mode. Is P8 really a mod?

16. Timinator

Isn't it /players 8

Make sure there is a space

17. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

I am not sure what srrw was referring to about "easy mode". The only accepted mods are rune word mod (ie, spirit, insight), multiple dll (to allow multiple instances of D2, self rushing), and colored/red rune mod (not really required with orange runes).

Playing normal at P8 with twinking gear goes fast. Save up those jewels of envy. Get a hold of time travelled gear, such as a 1.09 Ravenclaw. That will one shot aoe a character to past act IV normal, easily enough to get you to spirit/insight where normal character skills take over.

KO Bossy likes this.
  18. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

What srrw was saying is that using the RuneWord Mod will give access to more powerful items which will make the process of gearing up and getting powerful characters faster. Being able to set the players setting doesn't require a mod. There isn't an "easy mode" accessible by a mod or anything else, it's just a turn of phrase srrw used to mean "making things easier."

For rushing chars in SP: you can either self MP using multiple instances (a sorc with a high level enchant can work wonders) or what I do, which is muling powerful items onto low level characters (a jewel of envy setup, bows with gems in them, so on and so forth up the chain.) Neither way gets rid of the tedium that is Normal, but they help a ton.

KO Bossy likes this.
  19. KO Bossy

If someone could explain, how do you install Singling? Until I know what I'm doing I don't want to start screwing around with anything. I downloaded it to make the ladder runewords. I'm using the latest patch, for the record.

20. Timinator