Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New Addition to the Family!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by toader, Mar 5, 2004.

1. toader

toader Banned

New Addition to the Family!!

Check out the new addition to the family (well, just me and my fiance, but its a nice little family):

Chester

I got him last weekend, he is 7 weeks.

Aint he cuuuuute!!

2. Shaigon

Shaigon IncGamers Member

Awwww.
    Just wait till he starts peeing in your bed:)

3. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

should have named him tadpole

4. mudvaynefan

mudvaynefan IncGamers Member

awwwww, you just wana hug him untill he pops!

5. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

It looks kinda lazy to me. I think you need to smack it around until it learns to grab you a bear.

My friend actually tought his dog to do this. It was a big sappy labrodor retriever (sappy like yours) and it could open the fridge and snatch a can if the can wasn't too buried.

6. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

Thats a cute pup toader...Golden Shepard?
    Good breed if so...

7. braveicus

braveicus IncGamers Member

A can of bear?

regards

8. SomeCanadianGuy

SomeCanadianGuy IncGamers Member

PUPPY!!!!!! :D :D

Well, if you ever need any pointers with the little bugger, don't hesitate to ask. I've got my petstore resources that I can use to give you a few pointers.

What kind of a breed is he? Looks a bit like a golden retriever, but he doesn't have as long a snout, although at 7 weeks, his face hasn't assumed its proper form yet.

9. toader

toader Banned

Yes, he is a Golden Retreiver. Thats awesome to know I got you as a connection to a resource for advice. Im sure Ill be asking some questions. What exactly is it that you do with pets?

As for him looking lazy, those pictures were taken about a week ago, the first day we brought him home...so he was pretty tired. Trust me, he has TONS of energy. I think hes starting to understand his name, not to bad after one week. I am working on housebreaking him right now too, what a fun next few weeks it will be ;)

10. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Better than my plastic one.

I named him robo.

Ever since my cat ripped its leg off it won't play with me.

*Edit- How did you go about getting him?

11. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

He looks just like you. Here's to you, dad :drink:

12. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Name him Tripod or Tippy and he will be good as new.

Cute pup I will have to post up some pics of my two hell raisers.

13. th5418

th5418 Banned

Man, ive always wanted a golden retriever

14. Chief JB

Chief JB IncGamers Member

I like the name Chester. I wish my name was Chester...

15. SomeCanadianGuy

Sorry, but I don't understand the question... Do you mean what to do with the pets that belong to you? Or what do I do with them at my petstore? :scratch:

I'll assume for the housebreaking that you know what you're doing. But just in case, here's a few pointers. ;)

-Give him food and water only twice a day; once in the morning, once in the evening. This will help you control his bodily waste elmination system and will allow him to associate you as the dominant figure with regards to him. (Simply: because you have the food, you're the better one of the two.)

-The moment he's done eating or seems to have finished (in case he doesn't eat and drink all), remove both dishes. That way, making sure he doesn't have any accidents during the rest of the day will be easier.

-Once he's done with his food and water, about 10 minutes afterwards, take him outside for a walk or to play. Chances are he'll have to relieve himself by then or a few minutes after. At that age, he's so small and has so little control of his sytem that what goes in comes out within about 15-30 minutes. It'll improve with time. When he does his business, congratulate him and praise him and play with him so that he understands that he did something good.

-Accidents are going to happen. The trick is to catch him when they happen. When you catch him, a firm NO! should be enough to scare him. He'll stop whatever he was doing mid-pee or mid-poop. Pick him up in your arms (they don't normally pee when in someone's arms because they're stressed about being so high up off the ground), carry him outside and put him down on the ground out there. He'll calm down and finish what he started. At that point you praise him and congratulate him. That way he'll understand that "pipi inside=bad stuff happens to me; pipi outside= good stuff for me."

-Don't give him eatable treats to congratulate him for doing his business outside. That would defeat the purpose because you'll just be giving him something else to poop out.

-When you're around, walk him about once every 2 hours for the first few weeks. Start spreading walks further apart as he gets a bit better at holding his bladder. When you're not at home, try limiting his territory. Give him a smaller area that he can wander around in. There are a few advantages to that: first is that you won't have to look as far for where that smell is coming from; second is that dogs will rarely do their business where they sleep (meaning the smaller the territory when left without surveillance, the more he'll try to hold it in, which is what you want).

That's what I've got for housebreaking right now. If any questions come up, ask away and I'll do my best to help. Have fun with your pup!

16. toader

toader Banned

Thanks for the good advice SCG.

My question was directed more towards you and your job. Meaning, what is it that you do in relation to pets.

I am pretty much doing the same kinds of things you reccomended. I think he will be easy to housebreak. He goes pee INSTANTLY when he is put outside....he kinda knows hes supposed to go outside. I work during the day, and he is confined to the pretty large kitchen area. I come home for lunch or my mother comes over to my house during the day to play with him and give him attention. He lasts the whole time he is confined without an accident, and he also lasts about 8 hours at night without an accident. But when he is out and about he has to go more often. I do say "NO!" and pick him up when I see him starting to go inside and I carry him outside. I do praise him and reward him with a VERY small peice of a treat.

The first couple nights he woke up whining so I went and let him out and then brought him in to sleep with me. He did fine on my bed, slept the rest of the night. But for the last 3 nights he has slept the entire night just fine and I let him out in the mornings.

Goldens are fairly easy dogs to work with, Ive had them before as a child. Right now, he doesnt really grasp getting in trouble yet, but he is learning fast. I havent started walking him with a leash yet, but he is used to wearing a collar. Do you think I should start walking him now, or wait till he is further out of his "puppy" playful phase? I have a feeling he is just going to pull against the leash alot.

You seem fairly knowledgeable on the subject, so if I run into any snags or cant understand how to deal with his behavior, Ill send you a PM.

17. SomeCanadianGuy

Wow, he seems like an extremely well behaved pup. Sounds like you struck gold! (cheesy pun intended...)

Get him used to the leash as soon as possible. Even if it's just while you're sitting in the house watching TV. Normal reaction with a puppy is to pull back on it when you try walking away with him attached. It's another dominance thing. You leading means you're in charge and at first that might just bother him a bit. Nothing to worry about, he'll get used to it quickly. Should take him about 10 minutes, probably less, and he might tug a bit every now and then for the first little while.

No matter what age you start getting him used to the leash, he'll tug on it at first. And beware of him trying to chew on it to get away from the leash. That's a bad habit you'll have to nip in the bud, right off the bat. Elsewise, he'll chew through anything but a solid link chain when he's adult.

18. Killfrenzy

Killfrenzy IncGamers Member

cool dog! can he catch a frizbee?

Hurls frizbee, frizbee breaks window
    gotta run! (runs off)

19. JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS

JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS Banned

Awww, Puppys like that are so cute you just wanna squeeze em lol, fat little sausage legs n stuff. :drool: Looks like my dog when she was a puppy.

20. Starfishied

Starfishied IncGamers Member

Your dog is VERY adorable, but sorry, I'm a cat-person.

Meow meow Meow