Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

New account, want HC only

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by rev129, Nov 9, 2006.

1. rev129

rev129 IncGamers Member

New account, want HC only

I just came back to Diablo2 but have no desire to play SC. Is there anyway I can create HC chars without doing all 3 acts of SC?

2. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Assuming we're talking about Closed BattleNet here, you can simply make a HC character, even on an empty account.

Assuming we're talking about Single Player, there are ways around, but, those ways violate Blizzard's EULA and thus cannot be talked about here.

3. rev129

rev129 IncGamers Member

Ok, just tried again and HC is not an option. Only 2 boxes to check, "Expansion" and "Ladder".

4. nubikoen

nubikoen IncGamers Member

That's not true.

OP.

I can try and make an acc with a hc char on and PM you the details, if you log on to that to get the.. erh 'HC license'.. whatever it's called, you *might* be able to create you own HC chars, on any account.
    At least it should work, I can't say for sure though.

5. rev129

rev129 IncGamers Member

Thx bro, send the details, thx again.

6. nubikoen

PM is sent.

I hope it works for you.

7. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

It used to be each account had to be "hardcore" flagged. Now it's only your CD key. I don't know if someone else making an account is going to help. It really won't take long to kill baal in normal, I'm not sure why you said "all 3 acts".

8. mjpw

mjpw Banned

i would advise against hardcore unless you have lots of buddies. i had the same thoughts. but when you get passed normal there was only around 10 people playing in 3 games. everyone else is in private games because of tppk

9. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

I think that it's actually something to do with the registry. There's a batch file floating around somewhere out there that will alter your Diablo 2 registry files to flag you as Hardcore-enabled, and if memory serves, that works for the realms as well.

That being said, it's still a third party thing, technically, so it's not condoned by these forums.. and I don't much see the point of it anyway. If you're on East (L or NL, I play both), shoot me a PM and I'll rush you through normal on soft, so you can get to hard.

10. cynicalcat1

cynicalcat1 IncGamers Member

i started hardcore playing alone and occasionally joining pubs, course i had to learn about the tppk.but after 6 or 7 times even an old dog like me learns.i started playing solo, now i am 90 level.i found refreshing doing the whole game, quests and all, again.

11. channimal

channimal IncGamers Member

ermm.. inserting dumb question.... now

What does tppk mean?

12. ppz

ppz IncGamers Member

tppk - town portal party kill

It's when someone uses a keyed macro and a delayed skill to fire off the skill, open a tp, enter the tp, and declare hostility before the attack hits.

Example. amazon fires a guided arrow, tp's to town and declares hostility in about 1/4th of a second, before the arrow gets to its target. Then the arrow can hit the newly hostiled target and potentially kill in one shot since most pvm characters aren't expecting to pvp, and therefore don't have equipment to defend against such an attack.

There are many attacks that have been fixed to prevent this (like sorc's hydras), but some other attacks will still hit a hostiled target once the player enters town.

obviously popular in HC due to the ramifications of dieing.

13. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

The threat of one-hit-kills of any kind, TPPK or others, make the whole approach to the game quite different between hardcore and softcore... or at least it should.

My advice:

1) Learn in softcore, then play in hardcore.
    Too many people take their "die every so often" strategy from softcore and are completely astonished that they die in hardcore.

2) Don't play in pubby games.
    Trading is fine, just don't venture too close to the main gate. There are so many supposed rushers, enchanters, forge runners that are actually PKers willing to kill for the giggles in hardcore it just ain't worth it. Your decision though.

3) People are more generous in hardcore.
    Generally, people are more generous with starter and mid level items in hardcore. But the godly stuff, including high runes, are a lot more rare. People are much less likely to give great items to people that have been rushed to a high level and probably die when they actually start playing for themselves.

Good Luck!

14. seralph

seralph IncGamers Member

Logging in to an account with at least one SC char in NM or a HC char will flag your instalation as hc enabled.

If you want a HC only account and not have the option I mentioned above then you need to play or rush trough normal SC. After your insallation is flaged you can delete this char.

15. nubikoen

We already did that.

Edit.
    I just realized that rev129 never posted saying the problem was solved. It is.
    What I described in my first post, works.