Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Never drop items on ground for any reason

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by helvete, Oct 11, 2006.

1. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Never drop items on ground for any reason

Some assassin just snatched a (most likely duped) Cham rune from me, by dropping a Mara 26 and staying beside it, and asking me to drop the cham so he "could see it didn't just exist in trade window"

I knew I'd probably get scammed, and I also knew that dropping items on the ground is unwise in any case, and I decided to do it anyway because I've been getting rich lately.

However, this assasin appeared to stand by his mara (appeared on ground) and I was standing half a screen away. First I dropped a Ral and picked up again, nothing happened. Then I dropped the Cham real quick, and the assa just appeared right beside me, both scammer, mara and Cham gone. No running, no teleport inside town, and it happened so fast I couldn't blink my eye.

This was Eu SCL

Not that I take it so hard with the rune, but I thought I should warn that this happened to me, and could happen to others.

In short: Never for any reason, no matter how safe it seems, drop items on the ground.

2. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

In 102.37% of the case, when someone says "drop your item", it means "prepare to be scammed" :grin:...

Never, ever drop an item in a public game or in a random b.net private trading game.

3. Eroytch

Eroytch IncGamers Member

Sorry to hear about your rune man :(

4. mumba

mumba Banned

At least u knew about such scams and werent totally unprepared when it really happened. But this message that u said has been around since the invention of bnet closed play, so its nothing new.

5. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Maybe, but the randomly appearing next to him is new. Ah well.

6. Gorny

Gorny Banned

The only time I would drop an item on the ground used to be in a passworded game with someone from these forums.

7. Frosty_The_Snowman

It's indeed a convenient way to trade items between members, though a bit risky because of the infamous disconnecting/realmdown.
    However, I've been trading this way for a couple of years on these forums now, and never had a scamming problem :rolleyes:.

8. Gorny

Gorny Banned

True that, I think I only got hit with a RD or CI once or twice. No major losses.

9. Noctes

Noctes IncGamers Member

yup at first i thought how can you be naive enough to drop something, but well if the scammer used some hack to "teleport" (or maybe more create an illusion he stands at another place i suppose). Didn't know if this one, it seems we need to parse hack forums just to be aware of what exists

10. ael

ael IncGamers Member

Sorry for your loss man. :undecided:

You just lost 0.001 kb worth of pixels. (Just my way of putting it after being semi-retired :)

11. k/t

k/t Banned

You quit too, ael?

12. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

I'm way too rich now to bother about one HR which I got from a trade anyway. Would have been MUCH worse if it was the Ohm I found myself in the beginning of the season. Just posted this for the warning, that it is indeed possible to stand somewhere, and appear somewhere else (or whatever, I did see a scam coming, but I didn't know that was possible).

13. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Well, I have never gotten a dc/rd while trading with someone on these forums. It did happen a few times that I couldn't connect to battlenet to complete the trade, but in the worst case we always sorted it out via a dummy account.

As for the scamming, I have been scammed once, by someone who impersonated someone from these forums, the name was very long, and there was a 1 orso at the end of the name.
    So when the persons whisped me ingame, I recognized the name and just whisped back, until he ran off with me items.
    At first I even blamed the OP here, but luckily I took a screenie and finally saw my error.
    (the hardest part was that he had a name exactly like someone else on these boards, with only a 1 behind it, so I thought it was his next account orso, since he had a lvl70 char on it, now my guess is that the scammer made it espescially to make the scam even more convincing)
    I even think I also lost a Cham with this, but I might be mistaken, since it's been a while.

Someone else tried it again a few weeks later, but being ever suspicious that all can go wrong with even the simplist of things, I checked these boards, and sure enough, the guy wasn't on battlenet yet.

14. Frosty_The_Snowman

It's probably the most dangerous trick, coming from the outside, for forum members.

Btw, that's what the "Scammer Warning Thread" is for :

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=126626

15. Gorny

Gorny Banned

He went to WOW.

16. ael

ael IncGamers Member

I still play d2. Altho only if none of my rl friends are online on wow. I hate wow when no one I know is online. Actualy I think Im online on d2 more than the bigchiefs in my clan. >.>

So you are not getting rid of me so easily. :tongue:

17. k/t

k/t Banned

Gorny, get rid of him.

18. IntelligentX

IntelligentX IncGamers Member

Oh, the lurker finally come up for some air, eh.

19. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Well, I never used it before, but each and every single time once it happened :rolleyes:

20. Frosty_The_Snowman

I'm using it from time to time, there are still some member's accounts that I don't know by heart yet... (just kidding :grin: )