Neurotoxicity of MDMA (ecstacy and holes in your brain) if

Geeno

Diabloii.Net Member
Neurotoxicity of MDMA (ecstacy and holes in your brain)

Its come to my attention in many other threads that people like to believe things that arent true.

I just want to share a nugget of information.

Remember that whole thing about ecstacy putting holes in your brain?

The guy that did the test on monkeys for that... wasnt even given MDMA, there was no ecstacy involved in his study.

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/mdma/mdma_neurotoxicity3.shtml

Necrolestes

Diabloii.Net Member
Nothing to get ecstatic about

According to all of my literature, Ecstasy causes hepatocellular (liver cells) damage similar to that of acute acetominophen (paracetamol) overdose or chronic alcohol abuse. So, no, it's not a good thing.

As for it putting holes in one's brain, I have yet to see conclusive literature stating this fact (I have seen plenty of preliminary studies supporting this hypothesis but nothing definitive).

While I acknowledge the issue with that study (I've looked into that as well), I can tell you from first hand knowledge that this does not dispell the issues with Ecstasy. The drug is rarely pure, and more to the point, there is no easy way to verify the concentration you're getting--some say there are test kits, but who uses those? Moreover, things that exist at raves to test such things in the US may not exist elsewhere.

At any rate, I know of someone who caused irreperable damage to their liver with ecstasy, taking it so frequently for so long that their liver was destroyed. They were hospitalized, and died while preparing for a liver transplant. More to the point, the possibilities for long-term damage caused by the drug are not known, for precisely the reason you note--conclusive studies have not been done.

Draconis

Diabloii.Net Member
Much as many, many thousands of people cause irreperable and fatal damage to their liver every year with alcohol.

DaviddeJong

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:
At any rate, I know of someone who caused irreperable damage to their liver with ecstasy, taking it so frequently for so long that their liver was destroyed. They were hospitalized, and died while preparing for a liver transplant. More to the point, the possibilities for long-term damage caused by the drug are not known, for precisely the reason you note--conclusive studies have not been done.
That's really bad..... I don't want to strain my liver any more than I do now, so I best keep away from those nasty pills!

Necro... you have a nice way of putting it, you're a med-student aren't you?

The extacy-hype is over in Holland, it killed a lot of young people..... and there are probably thousands that walk around not even knowing what it has done to them.... and they are the "lucky" ones.

David.

Necrolestes

Diabloii.Net Member
D.O. or D.O. not...there is no try

DaviddeJong said:
Necro... you have a nice way of putting it, you're a med-student aren't you?

David.
Yes, I am, and I'm about 2 hours away from completing my national board exams (there are four parts and I've taken three of them...this is one of my break periods). As it would happen, there was a question about the toxicity of MDMA on the test so that's how I knew it right off the bat.

Strange how things work, isn't it?

Johnny

Banned
Draconis said:
Much as many, many thousands of people cause irreperable and fatal damage to their liver every year with alcohol.
I agree with Draconis. Alcohol should be illegal too.

DaviddeJong

Diabloii.Net Member
Necrolestes said:
Yes, I am, and I'm about 2 hours away from completing my national board exams (there are four parts and I've taken three of them...this is one of my break periods). As it would happen, there was a question about the toxicity of MDMA on the test so that's how I knew it right off the bat.

Strange how things work, isn't it?
Coincidence.... an MDMA question. Up untill an hour I didn't even know that MDMA was extacy; I thought it was an automatic weapon. (MDMA gives you holes in your head.)

Good luck with the test! :thumbsup:

David.

EDIT: Geeno.... are you trying to get us on drugs or something?

Geeno said:
Oh one more thing about ecstasy.

When you buy it you ask "dopey or speedy?"

people say its because ecstacy pills also contain heroin or cocaine.

They dont.

http://www.ecstasydata.org/
Tell ya what, Geeno, you keep takin it, and I'll keep avoiding it. Of everything I've done, I put this drug on par only with cocaine in terms of the "scary factor", and I've done both extensively. Once won't kill you (barring your rare case), but if you start taking it recreationally, 2-3 at a time, every weekend, you're eventually going to get a bad pill. More to the point, you're going to **** yourself up. Trust me on this one, I've seen friends go down the tubes from it. Forget the physical harms and think about it.

I'm not saying don't ever do it at all. I'm saying that if you can do it in moderation, from time to time, and are aware of the risks rather than putting your head in the sand to feel better about it, then fine. But if you're trying to convince yourself that it's no more harmful to you than your morning multivitamin, you've got another thing coming.

Geeno

Diabloii.Net Member
I only did a little once just to try it. I dont even enjoy it.

I just like to talk about these things cause they fascinate me.

DC said:
I'm not saying don't ever do it at all. I'm saying that if you can do it in moderation, from time to time, and are aware of the risks rather than putting your head in the sand to feel better about it, then fine. But if you're trying to convince yourself that it's no more harmful to you than your morning multivitamin, you've got another thing coming.
I have insinuated no such thing.

DrunkPotHead

Diabloii.Net Member
Never tried MDMA and never plan to. While the pure MDMA substance probably isn't too bad for you, it's almost never pure when you buy it off the street, it is usually combined with some other things (usually stimulants).

I have found a nice replacement for it though, one with similar body effects but more hallucinogenic rather than speedy. I also get it from a lab, so i know everything is pure and doses are measured very accurately. Even so, i take it very sparingly. In fact, when i took it once a week for more than 3 weeks, i took 2.5 months off entirely. It's not physically addictive either. Here's a link. They also haven't made any drug tests for it.

Geeno

Diabloii.Net Member
Research Chemicals, thats why you order it. For Research.

For Research.

For Research.

;) :thumbsup: :clap:

DrunkPotHead

Diabloii.Net Member
Geeno said:
Research Chemicals, thats why you order it. For Research.

For Research.

For Research.

;) :thumbsup: :clap:
Almost all are currently illegal. Either explicitly or by the analogue drug act. However, they are still rarely prosecuted against because they're so underground and hard to get.

Do you live in NY or somewhere nearby?

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:
Tell ya what, Geeno, you keep takin it, and I'll keep avoiding it. Of everything I've done, I put this drug on par only with cocaine in terms of the "scary factor", and I've done both extensively. Once won't kill you (barring your rare case), but if you start taking it recreationally, 2-3 at a time, every weekend, you're eventually going to get a bad pill. More to the point, you're going to **** yourself up. Trust me on this one, I've seen friends go down the tubes from it. Forget the physical harms and think about it.

Jeez, I don't even want to know what % in pills is MDMA and what % of c*** the rest is. Very little MDMA these days I think, used to be far more back when pills were £5-£10. Scary thing is, now you can get them for £2-£3. Consider how much more s*** they put in now to be able to sell them for so little.

I have a mate who has a permanent twitch in his legs from doing to many over the years. You can't sit next to him because it's so annoying. I've done them for years and never had a 'bad pill'. Allthough saying that for the last few years I get them from the same place and always know there ok.

What with this and the pot thread everyones going to think I'm a massive drugie. Well maybe a bit, but I only use pills when I go clubbing these days.

And I'll also say as DC did, that playing with these things, especially from someone you dont know, is toying with a nightmare time...

KnightFall

For the record, I have a slight and infrequent twitch below my right eye. I don't know if it is a result of LSD or ecstasy, but it began during a period when I did a lot of both. It's not noticable to anyone but me, but is incredibly irritating.

In other words, I'm not convinced that we know enough about any of this stuff to know what it does to our bodies.

Geeno

Diabloii.Net Member
I get the same thing quite infrequently but I havent gotten it since I did either...

I think its just a muscle spasm like anything else.