Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need to redo blizz/fw sorc

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Brona, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Brona

Brona IncGamers Member

Need to redo blizz/fw sorc

My level 98 that i worked so hard on sucks now in 1.10. Can't stay alive worth poop, so I want to redo her.

Here's the gear she'll be using. All 1.09

Harl Crest
    Occy/Gull on switch
    Rhyme shield /Visc on switch (until I can find/trade 4 ist, then monarch)
    chances
    goldwrap
    38% Travs
    Skulders (with ptopaz)
    19x 7 SMFC
    3x 6 smfc
    1x 5 smfc

What I need is hard skill allocation levels.

Here's her stats naked

STR: 146 (need 156 for monarch, get 10 from travs and 2 from shako)
    Dex: 31
    Vit: 211
    Energy 192

20 FW
    20 FM
    2 Warmth
    20 Blizz
    20 CM
    15 Static
    1 LM

About the only room I can see for improvement is 2 less to str and maybe less to energy.

Her main prob is lack of life. and of course crappy res, but not alot I can do with that. I'm guessing I need to go energy shield, but I've never done an ES build.

With gear I have between 631 and 656 MF, but then I have to lose 4 points to skills (between orb and shield)

Any suggestions?

2. akon421

akon421 IncGamers Member

nahhh dont get rid of her, she's still useful, but it's your acct so whatever. also you could use her to be a merc for hire :D but nah, she doesnt look like shes poop

3. Lantto

Lantto IncGamers Member

I cant say I understand 15 static and 1 LM, not more then 1 warmth either for that matter. +Skills would surely make 1 static and 1 warmth enough for a sorc with 2 timerd spells. Youd be much better off with something like glacial spike for synergy and somewhat for spammable spell. Also am I right you have no point in tele or use an enigma? That i just wrong for an MFer, but I'm quite sure that was just a mistake in the writing right? Also I wouldnt use ES, that skill hasnt worked at all for me, not enough mana. Once you run out of mana your dead pretty quickly anyway.

4. Lantto

Lantto IncGamers Member

Id use wiz spike+arachnids instead of occu+wrap btw. You need better res and a good telespeed to be safe. The loss of 2 skills isnt that huge anyway and 30 mf is nothing when you're already over 600.

5. Brona

Brona IncGamers Member

What's the MF on Wiz SPike?

I do have at least one to tele. Probably more.How many to tele is best without going nuts? I'm relying on +skills items. (which totals to something like +8 or so, +9 with a fire GC)

She kills ok, she just can't stay alive. On the other hand, I rarely run out of mana. I don't do much teleing around because of the life thing (until I can find a new MH to use for MF runs only).

So maybe take 50 from energy and put into vit? More?

Less to static and more to glacial?

Mastery only needs to be 17 to affect immunes is that correct? Cause then I'd have six more I could put to GS and let +skills take care of the rest if there's no real benefit to going higher.

6. Lantto

Lantto IncGamers Member

I guess if you run pits or similar you want Occu yes. Didnt think about that. If you run bosses go for wizz and ali in switch instead.

Static and tele are onepoint wonders imo

7. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

When do you die? Mephisto runs? Durance 2? Or where? To elemental damage or physical?

My advice on your equipment is to sacrifice some mf to get better resists - as the diminishing returns set in even sooner now, speed is more important than mf. If you're doing boss runs, follow Lantto's advice and get Wizard Spike, which doesn't have any mf or +skills, but is invaluable for it's fcr and resists. You'll switch to your mf gear for the final hit, so don't worry about the lack of mf.

About your point distribution: As you already say yourself, you have too much energy. Blizzard is a quite low mana attack, so base energy (no more than around 70, at the very highest) with one point in Warmth is enough. Spend those points to get max blocking instead (or in vita if you prefer - I recommend blocking, though, especially as you already plan on enough str for Stormshield) - you'll love the way you can just stand still, cast Blizzard on your head and watch the monsters die around you.

Put only one point in Static, only one in Teleport and don't put a point in LM (it won't help Static anyway, as it always takes a percentage of the monster's hps). Use those points to max Glacial Spike (or Ice Blast, if you're mostly running Mephisto) - you'll feel a tremendous difference in your Blizzards' damage.

8. sir_bazz

sir_bazz IncGamers Member

I've just about finished my 1.10 Blizz/Firewall sorc and I say she sucks.

From memory she has

20 Firewall
    10 FM
    20Blizz
    20Glacial Spike
    11 Ice Blast
    1 Warmth
    1 Static

Blizz just doesn't kill quick enough as her primary spell and firewall is in the same boat.

Wearing full Tals and anni charm so FR and LR are maxxed but still die too often from both melee and elemental attacks.

Im using lidless for a shield atm and blocking is way down around 35% but a new shield is only part of the problem.

I think that the lack of a more attacking spell like maxxed fireball or orb is what is really hurting her.

I just don't think the firewall/blizz sorc is viable for soloing in 1.10.

bazz.

9. jylegajylan

jylegajylan Banned

I really don't put points into mana. frosties + sojs + lvl 11-15 warmth + 80% mana regen = enuff to last

10. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

With Blizzard and the other big damage skills, it's imperative that you max both mastery and (at least) one synergy. Brona only maxed CM, sir_bazz only synergies. Get both, and you'll see how much difference it makes. If you don't quite have the points for it, save some in FM - Fire Wall will be your backup, Blizzard your main attack.

11. Brona

Brona IncGamers Member

I'm noticing that masteries aren't helping a whole heckuva a lot. My Bliz is maxed (26 with skills) and my CM base is 17 (23 I think with skills) and yet cold immunes don't take any damage at all.

Same with fire. My FW is maxed and FM but fire immunes don't take squat from damage. Whats wrong?

Once I get 17 base into FM, then i'll start putting more points into the synergy. Is there a better one than the others? I'm thinking GS.

Or should both masteries be maxed? I'm hearing conflicting reports.

Oh, and I die mostly from elemental. With the Occy ORb, and Rhyme, I'm doing better, but still burning souls kick my ***. I;ve already decided to ditch the gull and stay with the Orb and lose that extra MF, but I made it up with a pgem in the shako.

12. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

Masteries do help a lot, just not with immunes. The sorceress can't break immunities (a few can be broken with a wand with lower resist on switch or by giving your merc Reaper's Toll, but that will not help against most). What your masteries do is give extra damage to those you can damage. Use your other attack for immunes. GS is probably the best synergy to max, since you can only max one - very useful for freezing whole groups.

If you die to elemental damage, switch some of your mf for resist items. Your survival and killing speed is more important than your mf, as mf has diminishing returns. Only have more than 250% mf, if it doesn't slow you down. Use wizardspike instead of Occy for teleporting - that will give you a lot of resist and fcr - and have Gull on switch for the kill: just when the boss you're running is about to die, you switch weapons, and kill him with your mf weapons.

13. sir_bazz

sir_bazz IncGamers Member

Actually forgot to mention in that I have CM at 17 including +skills.

Furthermore, I finally got around to Meph runs last night and blizz does get the job done in solo games. It's actually quite impressive.

I still think this setup is a little weak for baal runs but I've changed my opinion of Blizz/FW for a dedicated Meph runner sorc. Its a great skill combo for getting to, (and killing) Meph.

bazz.