Need suggestions on beating Arcane Sanctuary in Hell

Joshebo

Diabloii.Net Member
Need suggestions on beating Arcane Sanctuary in Hell

For the life of me, I cannot beat this place, muchless explore it. I have the standard build of a 78 fishymancer with 20 pts in SM, RS, and CE and 1 pt in all curses, plus SMage and Revive. (I have 20 stat points and 4 skill pts saved). Due to a recent giveaway from scwormy (thanks again you rock! :smiley: ), I have some decent necro armor with 6-8 extra skill pts from items. I also have the chest and hand pieces of Trang-Oul and all my resists are at about 40+ so I think my gear is sufficient.

The maggot lair was hard and time consuming, but CE helped out a lot and I just used Gumby and my merc. Here, the mobs come from all sides and swarm in on me with both melee and ranged attacks with me having no place to manuever. Using only the above minions, I am getting creamed.

Does anyone have any suggestions for my situation. Thank you.

Crazy Runner Guy

Diabloii.Net Member
For the life of me, I cannot beat this place, muchless explore it. I have the standard build of a 78 fishymancer with 20 pts in SM, RS, and CE and 1 pt in all curses, plus SMage and Revive. (I have 20 stat points and 4 skill pts saved). Due to a recent giveaway from scwormy (thanks again you rock! :smiley: ), I have some decent necro armor with 6-8 extra skill pts from items. I also have the chest and hand pieces of Trang-Oul and all my resists are at about 40+ so I think my gear is sufficient.

The maggot lair was hard and time consuming, but CE helped out a lot and I just used Gumby and my merc. Here, the mobs come from all sides and swarm in on me with both melee and ranged attacks with me having no place to manuever. Using only the above minions, I am getting creamed.

Does anyone have any suggestions for my situation. Thank you.
Terror should clear the place out pretty decently. Or a teleport ammy.

[my own skellimancer was taken through the AS via MP many years ago, and I never plan to make another one]

crg

cade88

Diabloii.Net Member
I would suggest running with a full army of skeletons. Even if they aren't all killing something they're at least acting as a shield. And when they do meet something they'll be hitting it.

Sir Lister of Smeg

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't remember whether I had a lot of trouble with my untwinked fishymancer, but I think it was doable.

First of all, play at players 1, but I assume you're doing that already.
Secondly don't use a lot of skellies, I'd say one at most. This way your merc can move to attack.
Thirdly, you can use mages and revives. Especially the ghosts are good revives here, the goatmen not so much, vampires are okay. The mages and vampires are mostly useful in dealing with the physical immunes (iirc the ghosts, but it might be breakable).
Fourthly, as CRG mentioned, use terror, attract and dim vision to deal with the packs.

herobomberman

Diabloii.Net Member
id say you just mp with someone, i hated maggot lair and as.. took way too long and wasnt fun. Not fun.. not worth doing (in a game that is). otherwise, if you are rwm, make an obedience in a elite polearm(or at least give your merc a really big pointy stick) and just lead one mob out at a time.

bill_n_opus

Diabloii.Net Member
AS is a tough place for a summoner.

Really, it's probably best to just treat AS as a stepping stone and not try for a full clear unless you're ready with some patience.

- use your curses like attract, confuse, terror
- use some source of teleport, like Naj's staff
- bring up your army first before hitting the AS waypoint
- seek the summoner and then kill him fast, telestack on top of him.
- go for players1
- just forget about the ghosts because they have such high physical resistance and it's likely that you will run into some stoneskin pi bosses and champ packs that will remain pi after amp damage.

Really though, you've done well to be clvl 78 in Hell ... that's pretty early actually. I'd go back and do Hell Pit runs on p3-5 and get a ton of XP and items until i'm in my early 80's (just because I am a MF'er).

Joshebo

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Now I have something to experiment with.

I think I might try using DV on the mages (and invest pts on it if needed) and slowly move my merc and Gumby up the walkway. Or use a group of Revives and Skel Mages like Sir Lister of Smeg mentions. Or use a combo of Crazy Runner Guy and Cade ** ideas and use Terror to move the enemies away and allow my whole army to move up. If I am unable to pull this off tonight, I will probably make a post on the MP thread to get some help.

If anything I am hoping this situation will turn me into a better player.

Deaddave

Diabloii.Net Member
try exploring the red portal way first i find its the easyist to do with a summoner becuase you can keep a nice minnion stack throught ths short secetions of it

zatlaren

Diabloii.Net Member
I actually found the red portal way quite hard. I had huge problems in AS with a fishy. In the end I revived a few wraiths as they don't have problems with getting stuck and just used my merc.

Moar

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
I got my Fishy through it tonight. It was really easy once I gave up on my minions. Merc + amp + CE + tele worked like a charm. I'd sometimes get the Golem out to take some fire off the merc.
I play twinked though, so the merc packs a bunch and that might just have made it so easy.

SiTro

Diabloii.Net Member
Try and keep your progress fairly slow if you can. As you've noted it's very easy to get swarmed and from then on it becomes a lot harder.

Goatmen can be a pain, but it's the ghost-type monsters you have to watch for. Make sure each of them is blessed with the Amp Damage curse constantly and that should take care of most of them. There'll be a few that can't be broken, unique ghosts with the Stoneskin mod, or certain Champion types (Possessed?). Those you need to retreat, find corpses of a previous battle then take them down with the fire side of CE. Lower Resist would help there if you have the points for it, but I didn't and got by just fine.

This area was all about patience for me. It would easily take me an hour to clear just one leg of the Sanctuary, and yes, I only found the Summoner on the fourth leg. The advantage was by that point I knew exactly where he was and so knew the end was in sight. Take your battles slow and do your best to take out the monsters as you go along.

Oh, and be wary of using Attract too much. I stopped using it early in Hell because I found that to my mind it dragged in monsters from a very large radius. That led to my army being swarmed and overpowered. Though my skellies were comparatively weak, yours might be able to cope a little easier.

edit: Just keep in mind that once you're past this there isn't really anywhere that can stop you in such a fashion in the following 2 1/2 acts!

zatlaren

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh, and be wary of using Attract too much. I stopped using it early in Hell because I found that to my mind it dragged in monsters from a very large radius. That led to my army being swarmed and overpowered.
I noticed this too. I would cast attract to try and take the heat off my skellies and stuff would come charging in from off the screen. Others have said they never saw this happen so I don't know how they managed that.

Hoop76

Diabloii.Net Member
Dont know if it was mentioned, but i didnt see you mention any points into Summon Resist. That will help alot, and if thats not the case, just go slooow as possible.

Beltane

Diabloii.Net Member
I've recently got my first ever char through level 2 Hell (after all these years!), and it was my summon necro.

The main problems i had were the walkways only being wide enough for a couple of my skels to get a whack at the enemy, and those lightning towers would just wipe out my health bar. After a few unsuccessful runs at it i got through quite comfortably in the end by making use of tactical revives. I'd have 4 of my own raised skel mages for a bit of ranged attack, then add in a couple of revived mages (or whatever they are) and 3 or 4 ghosts. That way i had attacks going over the top of my normal skels and the ghosts flying round the back of the targets, along with my golem that i cast behind the enemy line. Once a couple went down Corpse Explosion took out the rest.

Just got to find a way to get past the council in Travencal (sp?) now. :embarassed:

Beltane

maxicek

Moderator Single Player
Most has been said already, but remember Clay does little damage and can obstruct you heavy hitter (the merc). Cast him behind your enemies to keep them occupied, they will attack him rather than your front line.

Ugla

Diabloii.Net Member
I agree with using wraiths, they seem to be the best revives in the entire game. You can also try out terror to drive the monsters from narrow corridors, but I'm not sure, how this curse exactly works.

Ugla

Mesuno

Diabloii.Net Member
I agree with using wraiths, they seem to be the best revives in the entire game. You can also try out terror to drive the monsters from narrow corridors, but I'm not sure, how this curse exactly works.

Ugla
Don't forget dim vision too - if you are having trouble with ranged attackers fling a few about ahead of your minion pack and they should stay put until your minions get in melee range.

If you have a few +skills it should have a reasonable areas of effect too.

Also for revives I quite like the skeleton archers with fire arrows when I'm having trouble with PI's - although I tend to play MP so there is usually someone to take them down for me. consider open wounds on your merc's weapon too.

Joshebo

Diabloii.Net Member
Woot! I beat it!

I basically used all the techniques that people suggested. I went in with Gumby and the merc and took out some vampires. I used them for revives now and then, but mostly revived every specter that I could. Also had 5 SkelM and never used CE and definitely took my time. Things got hairy at times, but I can’t tell you how much personal satisfaction I got after beating AS.

Thank you to all who posted. You don’t know how much that meant to me. I compare it to a time when I had some honest help with a term paper in college. I had problems forming a sentence and my roommate put it in a way that I never would have thought of in a million years. I see this situation the same way. Never considered using revives or ranged attackers w/o the use of my skeletons. It’s brought a whole new dimension to my play style.

Anyway, just wanted to give you an update on what happened and thank everyone for posting.

NeoKnuckles

Diabloii.Net Member
Aww, guess I was late. I was going to suggest getting a teleport ammy, and spend tons of money teleporting around. That's what I did for maggot lair, lol.