Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need suggestions. Best Gear setup for Trapper

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by leesh, Feb 4, 2004.

1. leesh

leesh Guest

Need suggestions. Best Gear setup for Trapper

I just recently remade a trapsin and i was wondering what would be the best gear setup for a traipsin. I am not superrich but i do have the means to get most of the elites i might require. Thanks in advance.

2. SureWin4

SureWin4 IncGamers Member

shako/maras/2 sojs/1 bartuc/arkaine/(engima if rich^^)/archanid mesh/1 +3 trap claw/ weap switch call to arms or 2x +3 shadow discpline claws

3. leesh

leesh Guest

so basically get 2x +3 trap claws along with that gear?

4. jrichard

jrichard IncGamers Member

Forget the bartuc and the arkaine. With the possible exception of pvp applications Arkaine is a waste for a trapper. For general pvm, think skin of the vipermagi or, if you are realm wealthy, Chains of Honor. Enigma is highly overrated imo. Outside of MFing, the chains is far superior and the vipermagi is better also.

jrichard

5. Crazy Person

Crazy Person Banned

for pvp tweaking, there is no armor for any class that is better than enigma. just for the +str alone, add in the fact that it has 2 skills, teleport, 45% r/w (huge) dr, life etc. its almost too good, IMO.

but for pvm, you wont even need cast rate because you will not be BM locking people.
    enigma is not always the best choice for pvm, but its always a good choice.
    Chains would be betterfor pvm, imo

6. jrichard

No, it's not. Look at the gear suggested again. If the Enigma is used, the only item providing resists is the Mara's. That's 30% at most. Socket the helm and claws with resist jewels and you are at best at 75% with no other places to come up with resists on gear. You're gonna have to use charms. If you take up the space you could have used for 3 +trap GCs, you lose an average of ~500 damage to LS. That's per shot. 5000 damage per trap and 25000 damage per set of five. That's against a single monster. If we start counting the shots piercing and hitting more than one monster, the damage difference gets ugly. As a matter of fact, in pvm, this is the difference between "my trapsin sucks" and "my trapsin owns all".

What do you get in return?

Faster R/W? Not needed in pvm.

+str? pointless for a pvm trapsin.

The +skills and DR are on the chains of honor.

+5% life? Give me a break. One thing pvm trapsins have in abundance is pts to put into vitality.

Teleport? Ah, one of the two reasons so many people want this armor. Ever tried teleporting around with a sorc using no FCR items? Not a good idea. Pvm trapsins aren't wearing much in the way of FCR. It's a great way to end up in the middle of a crowd, block or stunlocked and dead. It may be handy, but it's not something that makes me want to give up killing power. If don't want this situation you need to incorporate FCR into your gear and once again you lose skill pts. Even HoTo and lidless loses you two pts and a little resistance. Not to mention that blocking with lidless bites. You'll have to invest in dex to get a lidless up to par with WB and the 5% life on Enigma won't make up for the loss of vitality.

MF? The other reason so many want this. First, it only gains 74 MF over the chains at level 99. 74 MF won't increase my chances of getting decent drops by anywhere near enough to justify using this armor. For 74 MF it's worth giving up my damage? Not to my mind.

And for all this i have to spend a jah rune?

There have always been large differences between good pvm and pvp setups. This may be the godliest thing to have ever been created for pvp, but for pvm it sits rather far down on the list of great trapsin armors. It's not even "good" imo. At best, it's "fair". Simply because most of bnet is currently enamored with it doesn't make it any better.

jrichard

7. Crazy Person

Crazy Person Banned

so you're saying that +3 trap skills makes the difference between 'owning' and 'sucking' ?

the resistance flaw is a flaw in the build, not in enigma. you can work around it to use enigma and still have good resists.

and the +str = way more life. more life than you can get from any other armor.

in pvm, you dont need cast rate, I dont find pvm to be hard or find many requirements for a pvm build to be viable. you will do fine with no cast rate and enigma... you just cant tele into mobs of monsters and expect to live, or tele out of them in time. and if its such an issue, you can change the build for more cast rate.

if yoiu were to use that build, you would have to get more resists somewhere, a magi wouldnt max your res.

the best armor I can see for that build is chains.

and I dont think many people will agree with you that enigma is not good armor.. its worth basing a build around, just because it doesnt apply perfectly to this specific build doesnt mean its overrated. the basic armor before the patch, was shaft, yet everyone still maxed res (even without anya because of the bug)

8. jrichard

But this thread is about gear that applies specifically to this build.

jrichard

9. Crazy Person

Crazy Person Banned

no, its not. he/she is asking for the best build. the build we are for some reason discussing was listed as a pausable 'best build'

it was also not listed if this was for pvm or pvp. a c/c trapper would suck pvp because they cant trap with slow MB. they would be forced to get cast rate from other places leaving them with low mana and low dr. IMO the dmg doesnt matter if you cant keep them in stun lock.

enigma is, hands down, the best pvp armor. its also (I guess arguably) the best pvm armor.

10. jrichard

Read the title again:
    now read the first post:
    Where in that do you get that this about builds and not gear?

jrichard

11. Crazy Person

Crazy Person Banned

im sorry, but you just completely avoided everything I said and are now trying to damage my credibility on (what you think is) a technicality.

"build" refers to both equipment and stat allocation just so you know.. and it doesnt say what kind of trapper..

12. jrichard

Once again, it was asked for a best gear setup for a trapsin, builds were not mentioned. That's gear setup specifically. I'm not avoiding anything. You simply haven't given an argument that makes any sense. Take this for example:

In all my post i stated very clearly i was talking about a pvm trapsin. Unless you're gonna put Enigma in less than an elite armor you're str req for a dusk shroud is 77 and for greater talons is 79. Those are the highest reqs for the build with gear suggested. Saving two str pts does not = way more life than you can get from any other armor.

13. Crazy Person

Crazy Person Banned

nevermind, you're still avoiding and putting enigma in any armor other than a breast plate is the most newb thing in the world. you obviously dont know what you're talking about from that comment alone.

build = GEAR and stat allocation. I dont see what that has to do with anything anyway.

if I wanted to be an *** I would say something alone the lines of ~

"Once again, it was asked for a best gear setup for a trapsin, it was never mentioned if it was for pvm or pvp. So basically, everything you said is wrong, because that build would, under no circumstances, work in pvp.

Also, only a newb would put enigma in those armors, I mean the def is so low compared to a nice templar coat. as a trapper you need high def so palas (paladin) smite and necros (necromancer) bone spirits dont hurt so much."

14. jrichard

So which is it? Are you debating with me or yourself?

Incidentally, a templar coat has a base def of 252-274 and a str req of 118. A dusk shroud has a base def of 361-477 and a str req of 77. Could you explain your math on how the templar coat ends up with better defense numbers?

From my earlier post:

What part of my suggestions being for pvm don't you understand? I could care less about pvp.

As for my being a newb and not knowing what i'm talking about, I wondered when you'd get around to saying that. It's the last resort of all the ignorant on bnet.

jrichard

15. Naliworld

Naliworld IncGamers Member

Guys, constructive discussion is good, but this is turning too hostile IMO. Please keep negative comments/sarcasm to a minimum.

jrichard:
    I think Crazy Person was trying to be sarcastic here....both Smite and spells are automatic ITD.

16. Azha

Azha IncGamers Member

For PvM MFer I would say

UMed Shako
    UMed Tals Armor
    2x trap+3 / LS(hopefully) claw socketed with +15 all resist jewel
    mara
    Arachnid
    Chanceguard
    WT
    2xSoJs

I keep MAX resist in hell and 450+ MF with this setup (with skill GCs and mfsc)

CoH is better, but as you said you are not superrich but can buy elite uniques (and set I guess) Tals will do.

17. KaesarSosei

KaesarSosei IncGamers Member

BTW

Is Najs Plate not better than Skin of the Vipermagi? The FCR on Vipermagi is sort of wasted on a PvM Trapper. Although you can have slightly better resists (good luck finding/trading a perfect one) and the Magic Dmg reduced is nice. Also, the Str req on Najs = Bartucs which is helpful. And +65 life is very nice. And the Mana mod helps with trappers mana problems too,

Defense: 721-830 (varies)(Base Defense: 421-530)
    Required Level: 71
    Required Strength: 79
    Durability: 60
    +300 Defense
    Requirements -60%
    45% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
    +1 To All Skills
    All Resistances +25
    +65 To Life

Vipermagi:

Defense: 279 (Base Defense: 111-126)
    Required Level: 29
    Required Strength: 43
    Durability: 24
    +120% Enhanced Defense
    +1 To All Skills
    30% Faster Cast Rate
    Magic Damage Reduced By 9-13 (varies)
    All Resistances +20-35 (varies)
    (Only Spawns In Patch 1.09 or later)

18. NOT Crazy Person

NOT Crazy Person Banned

I think I was (quite obviously) being sarcastic, but apparently, I get into too many arguments. So ill end this one rather easily, you’re talking about pvm and im talking about pvp. So obviously are opinions are different.
    If he/she wanted a pvm build, your advice would be better.
    If he/she wanted a pvp build, mine would be better.

19. sawse

sawse IncGamers Member

Ha ha, implying that jrichard is a newb is one of the most outlandish assertions I have ever seen on these boards!

20. jrichard

I actually think they're pretty close, but to my mind the MDR puts vipermagi on top. Not like it's a lot or that it makes it very much better. The damage to mana mod on the Naj's armor i have one problem with, you have to get hit for it to do you any good. That's not something i would want to rely on for a trapsin who probably has pretty low amounts of FHR on.

jrichard