Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need some skill advice for pvm bowzon

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Freeper, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Freeper

Freeper Diabloii.Net Member

Need some skill advice for pvm bowzon

Hi, I recently built a bowazon from the ground up, using a couple different build guides for inspiration. Right now I have her pretty well decked out for gear; she's doing about 4k max multishot and 6k guided arrow with pride/might merc. However this build hasn't been very skill intensive; I've got about 12 hard points in multishot, a few points in most of the passive/magic skills to get them to their point of diminishing returns, and that's really about it. Currently I've got about 50 unspent points at level ** and I'm not sure what to do with them. Some options:

I only have one point in Valk currently. Is this worth maxing out? What about decoy?

I need something that can effectively kill phys immunes. Is it better to put points into magic arrow or one of the elemental arrow skills for this?

Is it worth maxing out guided arrow? I use it for bosses right now, and I noticed that damage improves and mana cost goes down as points go into it, but are the returns worth it?

2. KTang

KTang <font color="#93ad4f">Official Diablo 3 Item Value

Re: Need some skill advice for pvm bowzon

I've heard Decoy can be good for scouting ahead if you don't know what to expect, ie. WSK.

Valk isn't really worth maxing out, but 17+ after skills is the ideal amount.

I'd suggest putting points into Strafe, as Strafe + Multi are situational skills. IE Multi sucks in the Pit, Strafe anihilates the Pit, and I found Multi more useful for open places such as Chaos Sanc, and then Strafe/GA to pick off remainders.

You could get some Freezing Arrows on the go to pick off Phys Immunes. Max that and Cold arrow should give you a sweet counter. Otherwise, pure phys damage I'd probably max GA.

What are your skills at the moment, including passive spenditure? Lets see if you made any errors ;) I'm not an Amazon expert, but I know a thing or two from experience.

KT

3. droid

droid Diabloii.Net Member

GA isnt worth more than 1 point unless you're a PvP build. 1 point GA is enough to take out bosses, and thats all you'll really use it for anyway. Strafe is usually better in almost any given situation

If you're using a Might/Pride merc, you should be using Strafe as your primary attack and max it out. If you're using Multishot a lot, numerically you're better off with a Faith A1 merc (wielding a Windforce yourself) since it lets you hit the 7fpa breakpoint, which gives you better DPS than just boosting the base damage on a slower attack.

Decoy's not worth more than 1 point unless you're a Valkyzon (which is really more of a joke/stunt than a viable class...). 1 point Decoy is enough to scout and hold fire for as long as you need it to.

Valk gets a big boost at L17, but she's still worth it to max out, as she gets more life and damage. Its not quite as important if you use an A2 merc, though, since he's already tanking, but I'd be sure to get her to 17 after +skills just for the extra damage.

For Phys Immunes, the usual solution is Atma's Scarab amulet. FA is another option, but then you still have CI/PI bosses to worry about :) And usually FA pairs better alongside Strafe than Multi. Magic Arrow is an ineffective solution for the skillpoint investment it takes.

4. DudSpud

DudSpud Diabloii.Net Member

It sounds as though you have many +skills, and thus some good gear, so my suggestions may be irrelevant, but you asked...

Which is why many use an (upp'ed) WWS for PI - it has an slvl 20 MA as its normal attack and the chance to cast amp. Other Amp gear such as Atma's are also nice, but better suited to strafe where they have an increased likelihood of casting.

Taking care of PI's with 20 FrzA/CA is an option as well, though your mana leech had better be good or you will be sucking blues. And this doesn't leave too many for Strafe and Valk, two very good skills to boost. One nice option is a switch Melody in a +3 Mat bow for +6 total skills.

Another idea is 20 in either CA or FireA, converting 40+% of your damage to elemental. Easier on the skills pts, but you still have to worry about not only dual immunes but also the fact that many monsters in Hell have at least some res. Me, I like MA with WWS.

Valk at 17-20 when cast (I use +3 P/M gloves, circlet, and ammy in stash to cast). She is a great tank and monster magnet, and with Might/Pride should actually kill at higher lvls. Strafe at some multiple of 4 with skills (min arrows are 2+1/4slvl), so 12-16-20 are common. Multi till it ceases being effective, then strafe. Strafe is also likely better than guided with bosses if your tanks can keep them off of you.

Really, if you are as rich as you seem, I would suggest a standard FaithaZon - WF on you and a Faith A1 Merc, 20 strafe and Valk, the rest in FrzA/CA or MA or CA or FireA for PI's, or keep your A2 Pride/Might Merc, equip Faith GMB, and follow the same skill set up as above. Check the Ama forum for build specifics.

EDIT - As for Decoy scouting, it can be quite effective around corners, but frankly I have found Multi scouting to be more effective in WSK or other areas that are not so curvy. Multi has a huge range and you don't strafe lock. If you get a blue or red swirley while Multi-ing, you know something is ahead, and you can get this when you are beyond their range of seeing you.

EDIT2 - PVM, D/A/E are worthless, IMHO. They only serve to get a Valk (good) and interrupt your attack (bad).

Good luck,
    TehSpud

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  5. Freeper

Thanks for all the feedback, sorry I haven't been following this thread terribly closely. I haven't been playing my Zon all that much lately, but I still have 50 pts to spend on her at level **.

Counting +skills:
    7 All Passive/Magic Skills (Cept the ones listed below)
    16 Critical Strike
    13 Penetrate
    15 Pierce
    10 Magic Arrow
    10 Cold Arrow
    21 Multi Shot
    10 Guided Arrow
    10 Strafe

Really? I'm not a big fan of strafe personally, and even the builds that suggest using it as a primary skill say to avoid maxing it out so you don't get strafelocked too terribly.
    I use multi as my main crowd control attack and GA for singles. I'm using a near perf faith gmb with the pride/might merc, so I'm pretty sure I'm hitting nearly the highest possible ias breakpoint with all the ias gear I use.

6. Dogbert

Dogbert Diabloii.Net Member

Maybe the guides you read were outdated. Strafe is capped at 10 targets and with a decent attack speed this won't be causing any strafe lock problems at all.

Post your gear if you don't mind.
    Don't put too many points in multi at a certain level 23 or 22 can't remember only the mana cost goes up no more arrows are added.
    Note that with razortail you only need to put enough points for 65%+ pierce to get 100%.

I wouldn't even bother with cold/freezing arrow on a physical dmg bowazon. Just use atma amulet and strafe vs pi monsters. It's not worth 40 skill points when you have amplify damage which will remove all physical immunes and can use a harmony bow on switch.

If i remember right at slvl 17 valk gets a rare warpike instead of rare lance which will boost her damage. After that the rest of her gear gets upgraded to random rares depending on slvl.

7. Freeper

Gear:
    14 Fanaticism Faith Gmb
    Archon Plate Fortitude
    Gore Riders
    Laying of Hands
    Nos Coil Belt
    Cat's Eye Ammy
    45 ias 3 socket helm
    Ravenfrost Ring
    Manald Heal Ring (until I can find a good rare with mana leech)
    Torch and Anni and a bunch of resistance and life charms

8. Dogbert

46% ias needed for 8 fpa
    92% ias needed for 7 fpa

95 ias. Looks solid to me. Just too bad you can't replace that amulet with an atma.

9. KillaMike

KillaMike Banned

why you using torch there? :D

10. Freeper

I only use it when I'm doing solo pit/chaos/cows runs, to clarify.

As an update, I've put enough points in valk to get it up to 17 w/o torch, so I only have 37 more points to spend.

11. KillaMike

KillaMike Banned

after little bit of maths... how much does level 14 fana got IAS? 33 ias iirc, so why not change amu after all? :whistling:

12. Freeper

I don't know the actual calculations, but the main guide I worked from made it pretty explicit that you need 95 ias in addition to lv 13+ fanaticism to get 7fps with a gmb.

13. Dogbert

Thats correct.
    You need 92(95) ias + lvl 14 fanaticism to reach 7 fpa if that was unclear. With a gmb that is.

14. BooNGaRD

BooNGaRD Diabloii.Net Member

why not?

im sort of new to d2, came back from a 2 year break, so just wondering.

15. KillaMike

KillaMike Banned

torch crashes games on b.net and people REALLY getting pissed off by that.

7-8fps... i do not think you need 7 fps GA, but your call ( i rather have Faith MB because its faster, but i am aware of lower dmg, but that bow imo better )

16. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

If I am in public baal runs and someone asks nicely I'll take it off. If they yell and scream I'll leave and go elsewhere. Otherwise, if I am just questing I'll leave it on all the time. I don't care if they like it or not. They can leave too. I guess I am just a big baddie, aren't I?

17. KillaMike

KillaMike Banned

nope. but problem with torch, some people ( like my self ) count its + attributes there for i can not wear gear w/o torch, and people getting really mad about that, they saying i am doing on purpose ¬¬ ( crashing games )