Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need some advice. Ty.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Rocksin, May 5, 2008.

1. Rocksin

Rocksin IncGamers Member

Need some advice. Ty.

Over the last 5 years, I have moved 6 times. Now, Im moving again due to education and work. But this time is a lot different, because Im moving into the city in a two bedrom apartment which I will be sharing with a girl my age whom I have know for 6 months.

I plan on living there about a year or so.

The apartment is very expensive. I know I can't afford living there alone, which is why Im making a contract between the two of us, making sure she can't leave the apartment after only a few months leaving me hanging with the insanely high rent.

Anyway, the contract is just a small detail. The reason why I post this thread, is because I would like to know what you guys think about the idea of sharing a two bedroom apartment with a girl I barely know.

I would appriciate if you could give me some advice or share your experiences if you have been in the same situation as I.

Thank you.

2. Pierre

Pierre IncGamers Member

Re: Need some advice. Ty.

Score.
    Make sure you sort out all of the legalities though, and that she's responsible enough to keep up with her side of the rent.

3. WildBerry

WildBerry IncGamers Member

With her? He said he barely knows her.

That would explain why you would have him go through the legalities first, though.

4. Thelioness

Thelioness IncGamers Member

Have you checked out other rental arrangements to find something that you could afford should the worst happen?

5. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

giggity giggity...

6. Pierre

Pierre IncGamers Member

You never know :hide:

The fact that he "barely knows her" is a tad of a worry if they're moving in together though, can't say i'd love to do that.

7. Johnny

Johnny Banned

If she's hot then score. If not then score anyway. Beats doing the job yourself.

8. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

My advice: approach with much caution.

Make sure you have a very clearly outlined contract with her and that both of you sign the contract.

Are you in the U.S. our outside? (I'm assuming the laws are different in different countries), but contracts are usually pretty universal.

I'd make sure she has the means to pay for her part of the rent prior to making the commitment here. It is not rude to be asking her the tough financial questions. After all, if you don't take the time to find out, you could end up holding the bag on an apartment you can't afford.

9. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

i moved into a house with a girl i knew, a girl i didnt know, and a guy i didnt know. its working out fine. except the guy is in jail now. it can work.

10. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I am living with my ex-roommate's girlfriend. I knew her a little bit before we moved in, but not a ton. It works just fine for me, though.

11. PhsycoTimmay

PhsycoTimmay IncGamers Member

Well, this is right up my alley!

I moved in with a buddy of mine and his girlfriend, he went off to rehab, and then I took over the lease. She continued to live here, for about 4 months. Then last week, a week before rent was due, she bailed. Now I'm being evicted and life sucks.

Watch out for them scandalous women...there everywhere...

12. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Doesn't sound like a problem with women, sounds like a problem with that particular one.

I've always appreciated living with at least one woman. I've had female roommates for 3 of the 7 years I spent in college, and I definitely enjoyed it.

13. Tanooki

Tanooki IncGamers Member

"Lots of people go to college for seven years."

"I know.. they're called "Doctors"."

14. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

OMG, little Timmay cannot be old enough to be living on his own, can he? where did the time GO?:hanky:

15. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

From my experience women are far more dirty than guys, my apartment has three guys living in it and it is clean. I don't like sitting on the couch in one of the female apartments. . .

Then again there can be side benefits.

16. PhsycoTimmay

PhsycoTimmay IncGamers Member

Haha, yup. And as far as where the time went..who knows?...

17. disgruntled

disgruntled IncGamers Member

From my experience, women are cleaner than men. I would get references from the last 3 places the woman lived and also call to make sure her employment is stable. And yes, get a contract.

18. Rocksin

Rocksin IncGamers Member

I talked to her yesterday. In the middle of our conversation she suddenly asked:
    She: "You smoke, right?"
    Me: "Smoke what?"
    She: "Cigarettes!"
    Me: "Yeah, yes I do."
    She: "It's just. you know... - well I dont want any smoking in the apartment...."
    Me: "Well, Im sure we can figure something out. I wouldent mind smoking outside. Not to worry! We will figure it out! There is still time, and Im sure that we will discuss these things when the time is right. For instance, we will also have to discuss the cat situation.."
    She: "Ehhm" - confused
    Me: "It's just, well, you know - I just dont want any hairy animals in the apartment."

Im sure she can pay the rent at any time, but I worry about things like:

What If she starts dating some guy and figures out that she want's to move in with him. This would be my neck!
    I will definitely make a legal contract, making sure she does not screw me over!

19. DaveZa

DaveZa IncGamers Member

Making a legal contract sounds very smart to me :thumbsup: ! Since there can be situations in which it's works out fine between roommates who don't ever know each other that well, but.... your a fool when you would make your decision totally based on those stories, since it could go the other way around (check Psycho). The fact that you and your roommate will collide might not be the most probable thing that might happen (since your living together and i presume that you did some talking with her before you rented the place), but you shouldn't exclude any scenario.

20. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Rocksin, I would never, ever do that. You are smoking, she has a cat, the apartment is too expensive for you to afford it alone. She might already think that you brought up the cat issue out of retaliation, even if it's not true. Also, you are already suspecting her to screw you over.

There are simply too many things which can go wrong and lead to arguments which no contract can prevent. Also, a contract on its own might produce an atmosphere of mistrust and it will also cause problems with rules lawyers. I doubt that you will have a good time living there if any kind of problem arises.