Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need some advice here!

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by naRko, Sep 15, 2006.

1. naRko

naRko IncGamers Member

Need some advice here!

Hey there!

I have a godly sorc;)

Pure blizz doing 6k with nearly 1100 so its all dandy

But...

Im soloing 8 player baal runs and this is where the problem is...

My merc is fine, doing 5,5 k dmg and he handles all the skellies in wave 2, but I need some more speed... Which is more dmg...

He uses pf eth bonehew right now, nice gaze and near pf forti AP..

Finally my question comes: What weapon to give him for more dmg?

Botd WP? Doom WP? Orbedience WP?

Insight and infinity are out the question as there is very little to gain...

Help me out here ;)

2. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

My favoite merc weapon is a good eth obedience. Preferably in a great poleaxe. But you will need to add some IAS. If you're using fort, no chance for a jewel there. Try to get a IAS jewel in his helm - maybe even swap to andy's helm for more IAS.

(look for the tread about the best inifinity polearm - we get into detail about the best elite polearms there)

Depending on how you and merc are doing, you could swap to a might merc for more damage too. But I prefer the defense or chilling of the other types myself.

3. naRko

naRko IncGamers Member

Hey and thanks for reply!
    My merc has the "defense" aura and Im quite happy with him... and Im not gonna loose all the extra res and life by buying a new merc at lvl 93 :D

Yes Obedience seems nice with the lvl 21 enchant mod... It should trigger often enough for him to permanently enchanted, Which I guess gives quite a huge bonus?

Im still in doubt... Doom Botd Obedience... I just need the biggest damage output ever as this is the only thing that can boost my runspeed!

Please, I need some more advice on pros and cons!

Ty for replie;)

4. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Doom will make things safer for you due to the Holy Freeze aura slowing things down. It's got 45% IAS and can get up to 370% ed, pretty chunky. You could make it in a Cryptic Axe and it'll still be pretty fast.

I think blizzard made Obedience with mercs in mind, all of it's mods are useful for the merc. I use an Obedience Thresher on my zealot's Might merc, it does 7.7k max damage with fanaticism on. The enchant wont make much difference in damage, but the AR will mean the merc hits more often. Also, it has 40% crushing blow, one of the main reasons why i prefer this over most other merc weapons. It'll also most likely max out your merc's resists, if they're not already at max.

BotD certainly has the better damage and speed, but lacks crushing blow, and half of the mods (especially Indestructible from the Zod) are useless on a merc. But, if you want all-out damage, and can afford it, an EBotD War Pike will make you smile.

My vote is for thje obedience, for it's affordability and all-round usefulness

5. naRko

naRko IncGamers Member

What you are saying is that WP is too slow? True I really considered Doom cuz its very nice, im thinking potentially MAX dmg. I need runeword in WP, so if doom WP is too slow, thats out the question.

6. emar

emar IncGamers Member

Some input I guess:

1) You won't be making Doom in a warpike - it is not available in spears.

2) You won't be making Obedience in a warpike for that same reason.

The only RW out of your listed options that you can make in a WP is BoTD.

The difference between leveling a merc (extra resists, life, etc) is negligible if at all. You can easily rehire the merc as a different aura if you want to absolutely maxmize his damage (ie. might).

You notice CB on high HP monsters. You will not notice it on those skeletons spawned in round 2 at Baal. My question is: Does your merc not currently 1 hit KO the skeles? I would think you would, as my sorc's merc does with a similar damage output.

The damage output if put in an Eth weapon (similar base) should be reasonably close:

350-400 ED vs 370 ED vs 330-370

It is up to you to pick which is the most beneficial to you. I've listed some favorable mods.

BoTD (IAS, Leech, Stats), Doom (IAS, Aura, DS/OW), Obedience (FHR, CB, Res, Stats)

I personally would use Doom or Obedience out of your choices. BoTD isn't even in the running IMO.

7. Eilo Rytyj

Well, what i meant about the Enchant on Obedience is that the fire damage isn't very much, less than 100 damage. What IS good about the Enchant is the Attack Rating bonus. AFAIK merc's have AR just like players, although their stat screen doesn't show it. Enchant boosts this AR by a lot, meaning your merc will have a much higher chance to hit.

My zealot's merc's eth Obedience is 85-991 damage iirc, which results in something like 1200-7700 with Might and Fanaticism active. It's not a Superior Thresher BTW, just the normal +370% damage. I chose to use a Thresher instead of a Great Poleaxe or Cryptic Axe because it's slightly faster, meaning more crushing blow hits per second.

I haven't tried Doom before, but I have used a Holy Freeze merc before, the idea is the same. With the Cham rune in it, EVERY monster that isn't cold immune will shatter when your merc kills it.

Since you've mentioned that price isn't an issue, then try out Doom. The extra aura is far more useful than the little extra damage of BotD IMO.

8. lagalot

lagalot IncGamers Member

I still like the ebotd either in ghost spear or great poleaxe, warpike is good also but slower.Team it up with guillaumes and fort or duress for even more cb and ow.
    The speed and range of both these weapons make them awesome monster killers. Ebotd also has big life steal, without which you end up using lots of pots or have lots of dead mercs.
    With guill's helm/duress/ebotd you get 50%cb, 33% ow, fastest speed, 12-15% life steal plus a ton of other useful mods.Cham in the guillaumes and your merc has cbf.

Personally Id go with the hf merc instead of defiance.Slowing monsters seems more useful tactically than giving you more defense when realistically caters ..hopefully..shouldnt get hit anyway.Slow just makes not getting hit easier.

Anyway theres a liitle more to ponder before making your decision:grin:

9. Eilo Rytyj

A little OT: just so you know, the weapon's range has no effect on the merc, all merc's have a range of 2 (i think) regardless of weapon.

10. lagalot

lagalot IncGamers Member

Ok thx for that I always considered the merc weapon determined the range of attack.You dont seem 100% sure yourself though ...maybe someone could confirm or send a link.

11. WrathTalon

WrathTalon IncGamers Member

Whoah!!! :shocked: Really?

If so, then threshers are even better for mercs than I thought, if you don't gain anything by going for a polearm with higher range...

12. naRko

naRko IncGamers Member

WOW thanks for great reply guys!

Cant believe I forgot about the fact that doom/Obe is for poles^^

I think i will go with CA then, sup eth... Doom is more appealing, I think its more destructive..

I have no problem soloing baal 1player! Its when I solo him 8 player which I often do, then the skellies are a bit tougher, and the major problem is "baal-cold" and their freezing attacks. Merc gets so endlessly slow...

I in doubt on the "buying a new merc"-topic.

I have heard many places thats its best to get to act 2 nm asap to get merc at low lvl. He recieves +1 str +1 dex +1 all res + life for each lvl I believe... This means that if I rebuy a new merc at current lvl 93, he will loose 70 all res? *+ all the extra life and stats ofc... *

I REALLY need to be sure on this matter, cuz else, all is waste!

Lastly, dont u think CA is topnotch or Giant Thresher instead?

Elaborate on that one;)

13. Eilo Rytyj

Mercs have set stats at each level, so it doesn't matter if you re-hire one, he'll have the same stats as all other level 93 NM mercs.

As for your merc being slow when chilled... Cannot Be Frozen will solve that. Both of my main character's mercs wear Duriel's Shell Cuirass. It's a great little merc armor, and definately end-game worthy. It has the CBF, +15 Strength, scaling life/level, scaling defence/level and +20% all resist will get the merc's resists to max easily. Otherwise, you may want to consider putting a Cham rune somewhere in his helm or armor, but that's kind of a waste of a Cham. an Ethereal, upgraded (if ladder) Duriel's shell is a great way to go.

14. naRko

naRko IncGamers Member

Hmm ye could be possible, but he is using pf forti and that is very nice! 300 ed dmg rox...

I dont understand why ppl are all nuts about getting to nm at low lvl so they can buy the merc at low lvl, which gives him more "levels"... They say he recieves an extra bonus for each lvl, compared to if u just buy him when u are lvl 93. I really need some confirmation on this, cuz it would be a shame to throw all this hard work away!

If you dont know yourself, can u direct me to a post that settles this merc matter once and for all?

Thanks for replying;)

15. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I think you are asking if buying a merc at a lower difficulty is better? No.
    Link in my sig (the one about the wrong game).

16. WrathTalon

WrathTalon IncGamers Member

Hiya naRko,

Here's a thread--still on first page, started by MageChick--you should check out on this topic. It'll give you all the elaboration you crave. Though initially prompted by queries as to which type of polearm would be the best for a merc Infinity, it's actually a discussion about which types of polearms are best and worst for A2 mercs in general. The conclusions of the thread were that CA and CV are the two WORST options for mercs. Thresher, Giant Thresher, or Great Poleaxe are all preferable: these three all deliver more damage over time, activate a runeword's various mods (CB, CS, DS, CTC, etc.) more often, put monsters in hit recovery more often, and have lower requirements:

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=494775

17. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

I can confirm the part about hireing a new merc not loosing stats/resists. He will not. This is an old problem that people had back in 1.09 (not sure about 1.10), but it is not there in 1.11. You can hire new mercs all day long and they'll all have the same stats. The ONLY thing that matters now is what difficulty you hire them in. A norm merc will have a few higher stat points than a hell merc. The difference is like 2-3 str tops.

18. Delreich

Delreich IncGamers Member

The advantage A2 mercs hired in Normal have over ones hired in Hell is
    200 HP
    140 def
    8 str/dex
    4 base dmg
    158 AR
    6% res
    2 skill levels
    more likely to do Jab (about 5%)

Nightmare ones are somewhere in between for everything except skills.

So, no huge differences perhaps, but quite possibly significant... skill levels and HP at least.
    As has already been said though, the level you hire them at doesn't matter at all.

19. naRko

naRko IncGamers Member

Well what can I say... Thanks alot for alot of constructive posts!

Great forum, great ppl and great help!

Thanks! ;)

I will hire a A2 Might merc and make a nice Doom in a thresher of some sort;)

Again, thanks! ;D

naRko~~