Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

need replacement files

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by snow_crash, Apr 8, 2004.

1. snow_crash

snow_crash IncGamers Member

need replacement files

hey, I play USEast Classic D2...well, did, until the computer i played it on crashed, and I let my friend borrow my cds for a few days to install it. When i got em back to install them on this computer, to my surprise, i found a good bit of the files off the play cd were missing. Such as d2char.mpq, d2xvideo.mpq, d2music.mpq. I cannot install D2 without these files, not to mention play. I guess he tried to copy the files to use the no cd patch, but failed and cut them instead. Could anyone help me out on this? Could ya copy those files off the cd and put them in a zip file and email them to me? that would be great, if you can, talk to me on AIM or YIM or MSN. IN order, i'm ThaiSticks421, escape_goat784, [email protected]

thanks.

2. m1rage

m1rage IncGamers Member

I doubt anyone is going to send you those files. If he somehow "cut" the files out of the cds, then you obviously don't have a legitimate copy (sounds like a CD-RW), since you can't modify the data on a normal CD. So basically you asking for someone to help you illegally install it. :grrr:

3. snow_crash

actually, it is possible, just go to my computer, and right click on the cd drive and select explore. boom. I have a legitamite copy as well thank you very much. I thought the people here would be helpfull but obviously, i was mistaken.

4. m1rage

m1rage IncGamers Member

Do you know what the ROM in CDROM stands for? Read Only Memory. That means you cannot modify the contents of the cd, which would entail "cutting" the files off of it. :yawn:

5. monolith

monolith IncGamers Member

Point one: Read only memory means just that. it's a non-volatile storage media.

Point two: I think hotmail inboxes have fairly small limits as to their size, so the odds on these files fitting into it are slim to none.

6. The_Witch_King

The_Witch_King IncGamers Member

Sounds like you should try installing it again, maybe check to see if your cd's are scratched. If they are, beat your friend with a stick until he buys you a new copy.

Just a suggestion.

7. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Aye, like the others have said, it has to be one of two things: you're using a burn/illegal copy, or you've damaged the media in some way, either via heat, scratching, or something of that nature. No CD cracks are applied after installation, so that wouldn't be the problem, and as the others have mentioned, you can't alter a CD-ROM disc.

-Hal

8. snow_crash

um, you people are crazy, how do you think the no cd patch works? you have to copy files off the play cd into the game file. I'm guessing that's what he did. And no, again i do not have an illegal cd copy, and no, I have already checked for damages. So maybe the stick method should work...

9. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

No CD cracks for most games work by replacing the default .exe with one that subverts the disk on boot check. If, for some reason, the d2 one does copy files off the main disk onto the HD, it still would not damage the actual disk in any way, since it's ROM. If you're just reading, you can't damage the disk.

Have you tried installing just the game alone, without messing with the no cd crack?

-Hal

10. snow_crash

i tried installing it on a computer it's never been installed on b4
    it says like when it's almost finished, cannot find like d2char.mpq file or something. i looked on the cd, and i found a major lack of files that were on there before i lent it to me friend
    so, i think i have to drop another like 30 bucks for a d2 cd, which sucks.

11. JohnofTesh

JohnofTesh IncGamers Member

It's not 30 bucks anymore. You can find it most anywhere for 19.99, but I would go ahead and spend the extra 19.99 to buy the expansion at the same time. I am not sure if I just saved you 10 bucks or cost you 10 bucks.

12. snow_crash

I dunno about the whole xpansion thing. From what i've heard and seen, xpac appears to be no fun. I've also go lots of friends on classic, but Give me some reasons, I might want to upgrade. The only thing i wish classic had that xpac does, is the mercs like xpac, and xpanded stash. but other than that, I think all that BotD and enigma crap is just too godly.

13. Dabadonut

Dabadonut Banned

Expansion no fun? Where have you been? Expansion is so much better than D2 Classic IMO...

14. snow_crash

and the specific reasons are?

15. xpumafangx

xpumafangx IncGamers Member

I know the prices droped way lower then 19.99 in stores. I know I have replaced my d2 and d2 exp many times over. last time I bought the the d2 one it was like $9.99. With a sale of buy one get one free I would have gotten the exp as well, as like a spare. But they did not have it. So I got theif 1 as well. I want a cd burner.

16. snow_crash

cd burners are good, i've a question tho, the closest store to my house would be a Target, do you think they might have it there? If not, there's a best buy i could drive too, but i'm sure best buy would have higher prices, and I'm tight on cash.

17. Antiochous_3

Antiochous_3 IncGamers Member

Yea, Target should have it. I bought my 4th copy from a target a few weks ago. I have several computers and I like to be able to have friends come over and play with me, thus I keep getting more copies, lol.

As far as upgrading goes.. I would definatly advise you to do it. Act 5 can be fairly fun, and mercs are a plus. Besides, you wont think all those items are too godly when you make a ladder char and see how hard it is to make a good enigma. If you do decide to do it, make a ladder char on uswest and whisper me at *antiochous_12. I know how frustrating it can be to start out. I can help ya whith items and lvling, or just be someone to talk to since you will be leaveing your normal d2 buddies.

Good Luck!

Anti

18. snow_crash

that's a nice offer, anti, but unfortunately, I play USEast. I've still a few friends I've kept that moved over to xpac, so i think i should be fine for the time being. just need to go to target.