Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need orb & chain lightning build

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Sharakorr, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Sharakorr

Sharakorr Banned

Need orb & chain lightning build

Can someone plz tell me what stats and skills to put into for a Frozen orb and Chain Lightning sorc? :buddies:

2. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Well my first thought would be to try the CL/FO guide in the Sorceress forum...

but that's just me.

3. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

Well...on occasion those silly builds on the sorceress forum say things like "DON'T GET ENERGY SHIELD" and don't mention that you should keep energy at base if at all possible.
    I haven't read this particular one to comment on it specifically, but lots of the sorc forum builds aren't exactly HC friendly =/

If I were to build one it'd look something like;
    20 Telekinis
    1 into everything on the lightning tree but TS/Nova
    20 CL
    20 LM
    1 into orb prereqs
    20 orb
    1 CM

From there you've got ~10 easily accessible (I consider leveling to 90 easy, some with less spare time might not) points to dump into Warmth/CM/a CL synergy as you see fit.
    My str would be either enough to bug an SS or to bug a Tgods or to wear a naj's light plate, depending on what sort of gear I had accessible, even if I didn't have any of that, I'd be aiming at finding a naj's light plate via trade eventually.

My dex would be enough to block with an SS or a whistan's, or if I didn't want to block, enough for a wiz...which again I'd be planning on getting sooner or later. If ladder had JUST restarted and they weren't everywhere maybe I'd go orb/no block as wiz wouldn't be everywhere, but that's just hypothetical.

My Vit would consist of everything else, and I'd probably be drinking blues like beer if I didn't have access to a wiz. This is where I'd pump those 10 points into warmth rather than CM or a CL synergy.

My gear would be something like +3 light ammy +3 light hat +3 light orb if I was poor because all that +light makes teleport cheaper and your ES absorb more. If not it'd involve things like Wiz/Shako/SS/Naj's/Tgods/2x SoJs/10x Light charms.

Then again, I myself would never make such a sorc because casting CL just isn't fun when not equipped with a Chu/Phase/Cutlass for IAS >_<

4. helohi

helohi IncGamers Member

My light sorc looks like this:

Max:
    Charged bolt
    Lightning
    Chainlightning
    Nova (working on this, needs 6 more lvls to 99 :teeth: )
    Max Lightning and Chain first, since these two should be your main skills.
    6 Warmth
    1 Static
    1 Telekinesis
    1 Teleport
    1 Energy Shield

Waaay too much str (I didn't know about the way +str works now, I could have had ~50 str less :teeth: )
    Dex for max block.
    Vita everything else duh..
    Energy 50 base.

Harle (pt sock)
    Viper (pt sock)
    Tal amy
    Occy (res all jewel)
    Storm (pdia sock)
    Aracnid
    Raven
    Soj (found it myself, boy was I happy :jig: )
    WT (waterwalk are also a good choise, but I use her for everything and a little mf nver hurts)
    Anni
    Gheeds (just as reference)
    4 Lightskillers (i have 2 more but then I'd have to remove life charms, thus getting under 1k life and I'm not happy with that)

I will replace some of the equipment when (if ever :rant: ) I find tal rashas armor, this will give me an extra +skill (and 2 more mastery) compared to my current setup, and it will give me 3 facets worth of -enemy res.

Q: How do you kill Lightning Immunes when you'r pure light sorc???
    A: My Might merc does that for me.

Q: Why Might? Wouldn't Holy Freeze be better???
    A: No, I kill fair enough with out monsters being slowed, and Might merc kills way faster than Holy Freeze can ever dream of.

IMO a Light sorc is one of the best for pit running (wf ama and frenzy barb should be good too there), due to the low amount of Light immunes there, however she's easyli outmatched in mephrunning speed vesus a fire or cold sorc due to their ability to deal more consistent damage (my Lightning damage is currently 5-25k, giving an average of ~12.5k, then deduct mephs quite high light res for my real damage. Frozen Orb, Blizzard, Meteor and Firewall deals way better damage with fewer +skills too (my Lightning and Chain is slvl 35))

Edit: @mouse_wiz~ Chainlightning and Lightning is now affected by castrate (as stated in the patch.txt that came with 1.1... )

5. MoUsE_WiZ

I'm well aware of that, and that's why I would never make one now.
    I had one in 1.09 because it was cool to use IAS, and now it's just not.

I will continue to point this out in every post I come accross about CL -.-

6. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

and i will continue to agree with you whenever possible... that was such a fun little "oops" in 1.09 :D

7. ConnerMacleod

ConnerMacleod IncGamers Member

Don't copy my build!

8. Sharakorr

Sharakorr Banned

Ok ty ppl thx for all your input :idea:

9. helohi

helohi IncGamers Member

Your build?!? This is more or less a copy of Inus build... :scratch:

10. MoUsE_WiZ

Eh... NoFriend-AoA had a build like that a LONG time ago, and a legit CTA to power his solo baal mfing....

11. RottweilExpress

RottweilExpress IncGamers Member

What are you guys talking about?

12. MoUsE_WiZ

In 1.09 CL and Lightning cast rate were affected by IAS instead of FCR.
    This lead to some interesting builds, I used a silence phase + 2x IAS mosers + IAS shako and some other IAS gear to hit the casting BP. Other people used 6 shael phase blade or chu ko nu or a 2 socket cutlass of quickness shaelshael...

Now a CL sorc gets to be built with the same basic gear as any other sorc, and as such they don't seem fun or cool any more.

That is what we are talking about.

13. RottweilExpress

RottweilExpress IncGamers Member

Roger that Mouse. I figured it had something to do with that.

@Helohi, shouldn't the act5merc with his bash and windskills be a better damagedealing tank than the mightmerc? It's all about the equipment I guess, but still...

BTW, I'm making my...uh...fourth lightningsorc now. Hopefully this attempt will be more succesful.

14. helohi

helohi IncGamers Member

Stun and Bash doesn't add that much damage, compared to Might.. and the act2 merc can hit 3 times (jab) in the time an act5 merc gets of one hit.