Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need MF Sorc Res advice!

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Izuma, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Izuma

Izuma IncGamers Member

Need MF Sorc Res advice!

Hey, currently gearing up a Sorc for MF and have most of the key stats i want

- 250%ish MF
    - 63 FCR
    - Good block (65%)
    - Strong Health (900+)
    - Mana-regen counteracts Teleport costs

However im having a problum getting my hell resists up to a decent level
    they are all currently between 20 and 50%... The only slots i have left realisticly are 2 Rings and Gloves... And charms ofc..

So any suggestions on how i could boost my resistances that little bit extra without spending a fortune?

Regards, Izuma

2. Cryton

Cryton IncGamers Member

Re: Need MF Sorc Res advice!

I guess you need to post your gear to let us know where you can improve.

Or

Just buy the tal rasha set. It is starting to get fairly cheap now. Um+mal for amulet and armour the rest you can either just find or get for a few pgems.

Visit our trading forum and check out the trade lists there.

3. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

I paid an ist for tal's this ladder a few months ago, easily worth it. Outside of tal's you pay a lot more.

Would recommend min of 105 fcr, 117 if pure lite (altho 200 is better and more expensive)

4. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

+1 vote for Tal's. Also, resist charms help a lot. I usually avoid resist all charms and just get fire and lightning resist charms. They're cheaper and protect you from the only things that will actually kill you. More info on what gear you are wearing would be helpful.

5. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

hi again mate :)

seems you are going mid way - in terms of vita / block
    eith go one or the other, not some half way house.

In order of my priority:
    max resists (get tals set)
    105 fcr - for teleport - get 117 if lightning as sexy says.
    Either aim for max block - with an appropriate shield - Stormshield / Whitsans etc OR go full vita/ no block with Spirit.
    Get some decent FHR (spirit helps here aswell)
    mana regen vs teleport - merc with insight sorts this out.

Listing your gear/build would be a wise idea, but with regards to whats written above:
    get full tals
    use spirit monarch (35 fcr if poss)
    use insight on merc

enjoy

6. chenw

chenw IncGamers Member

Wizardspike is a good and economical choice too for resist and the very high casting speed.

7. mordath

mordath IncGamers Member

I have a similar problem so I'm borrowing this thread.

I just started playing again and I only have a lvl 84 blizzard sorceress in Single Player. The problem I have is if I try to get MF gear I don't have enough resistance in hell.

My gear is:
    lore,
    stealth,
    spirit weapon (28FCR),
    whistans guard (pdiamond),
    natalya boots,
    rare gloves (6dex, 29fire, 18lite, 12cold)
    magic belt (17lite, 24FHR)
    rare ring 10% FCR, 30%fire, 13 mana
    nagelring (24MF)
    29% all res magic amulet

My holy freeze merc :
    Insight superior ethereal battle scythe.
    Guillame helm
    Goldskin

and a lots of charms that give resistance. My resistance is 75% fire and lite, 52%cold and 8% poison but I only have 29%MF in total.

How do I get more MF without sacrificing my other stats (resistance, FCR, FHR)? I only have +3 skills with spirit + lore also.
    I have found some uniques so far: goldwrap, lidless, wormskull, twitchthroe, rattlecage, magefist and also a spirit shroud I could borrow from my brothers skelliemancer.

Should I just continue to "MF" hell meph and ancient tunnels or go to nightmare and load up on p topaz gear or something?

I'm also a bit concerned about my merc not having any life steal. He dies a lot although it's been a bit better now with higher levels.

8. SeCKSEgai

Resistance isn't as important on a sorc depending on what you run, like Hell Meph and AT.

For me 105 is the min fcr on my sorcs. Plus skills are also a primary focus. But, as your on SP, assuming you roll a nice d2 map where you just hop over a wall and walk down to Durance3, 63 is adequate.

MF isn't that important - efficiency is. So what if your drops are green/gold if it took a long while to get them and they weren't even useful items? Setting up an efficient killer/boss runner is more important.

Of course, you could also specifically hunt AT and roll a map specifically for that, but the drop rate won't be nearly as high. Of course, when it does drop, you're more likely to get the rarer TC87 drops (but aside from death's fathom, the rest are pretty much for other classes).

As you're still gearing up, Meph is the better choice.

A spirit monarch can roll up to 35 fcr, though you'll need a mod to get ladder runewords (SPF has approved one).

NM is also a good choice as it can be much easier if you're really having trouble in Hell. PTopaz gear shouldn't be a priority, more things like skin of the viper magi, magefists/trang oul's claws.

Also consider running countess in Hell for runes - but she'd need a respec as she and plenty of mobs along the way are cold immune.

As for merc, lifesteal is important. Your Insight needs a major upgrade as well. Goldskin is more an armor you should be wearing if anyone at all. Consider using runewords in decent bases as well, as something as cheap as nef-lum makes something as useful as smoke. Far from ideal when compared to the high level runewords, but far from useless as well.

9. mordath

mordath IncGamers Member

Yes, the mercs gear is pretty bad I lucked out in normal with the insight with a decent base but haven't found any socketed item that has replaced it yet. That's been a theme throughout with not getting decent socketed items, and the only monarch I've seen was an eth one. I've have gotten some runes though with the highest being a pul from hellforge and I have almost every rune below pul. Assuming I find a decent base for runewords what should I aim for first? Is it the smoke you mentioned?

What options do I have to get some some lifesteal on the merc. I don't have any of the nice armor/helms I read about in the guides but is the blood recipes an option maybe? I only used goldskin to get max res for the merc and CB helm because it was the only decent helm I found.

So I should switch out my rare res gear with FHR(have like 104%)/res to more FCR/skills. How much resistance and FHR can I drop? Meanwhile trying to improve my mercs weapon and get some lifesteal somehow. As for MF just run hell meph until I get some decent items and then respec to MF other areas such as countess?

10. SeCKSEgai

Hell Meph can drop anything in TC78 and below, and technically you can find anything in his room off the unique boss packs (not superunique council pack) though on SP Meph, the chest behind him, and the racks are all I really go after.

The easiest lifesteal is tal's horadric crest death mask, and that one comes with res too. While andarial's visage is the typical choice, even a crown of theives can work - there are quite a few helms with lifesteal.

Wouldn't bother with crafting aside from a caster ammy (which you don't need and gets really expensive to get something good usually)

FHR above 48 is where I usually shoot for - no need to go beyond that as if you need more you're getting hit too much.

Resistance is a matter of playstyle, I prefer to cap out when I can, but I have run Meph in neg res comfortably, same with AT though poison and lightning are a threat there. With Meph, it really depends on how you're killing him - you either need to get your merc in his face or use the moat and teleport to keep your merc from standing like an idiot getting hit by meph's ranged attacks.

spirit/spirit is a decent setup until you can swap your weapon for Hoto or Eldritch or Death's fathom - occy is alright, but the 25% ctc tele is annoying and can get you killed, especially if you've got low res.

I strongly recommend looking at the runewords on Arreat Summit - will give you plenty of ideas on what could be useful for you. Even something as simple as Stealth can help.

11. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Blood helmet isnt a bad option in SP if you have absolutely no other source of a LL helmet. Even a really low blood helmet will keep your merc alive a lot easier, until you find a Tals helm or CoT or other such superior helmet option. Of course that only applies against normal mobs in Hell - act bosses in Hell cannot be leeched, so a leech helm wont help if thats the problem, though against NM Meph your merc can still leech, at a penalty.

Also keep in mind that circlets can often drop with LL, so pick up any circlet that falls, and gamble if you have extra cash.

12. SeCKSEgai

The hassle of crafting vs the overall availability of uniques/set pieces that offer leech is why its not something I'd recommend - its generally easier to find an alternative than it is to find recipe on arreat/wiki, shop/buy specific helm, mule proper rune/pgem or find it if you don't have it muled away - when you could just kill Meph. The circlets and gambling is a great alternative =)

13. mordath

mordath IncGamers Member

Well I have a wormskull and a skin of flayed one (5%). So that would give 10% LL. That's about the only LL gear I have but then I lose some res and FHR but it's not as important as LL for a merc?

The runewords I can make that seemed good are treachery and enlightenment. The runewords I've made for now have been with runes I had a lot of (spirit, insight, lore, stealth) but I only have 1 lem and 1 pul and they seem pretty rare so not sure if I should save them for something else or use them for something better if I find any rare runes.

I'll look at gambling for circlets for LL then as I've mostly gambled amulets, belt, gloves, boots thus far and gotten my res gear that way.

14. SeCKSEgai

Treachery is actually decent for a merc, with the ias and ctc fade. Since it has no ED, there's no need to put it in an eth armor, so even you can prebuff and get the fade then give the armor back to merc. Just try to put in in a lower str req elite like a dusk shroud.

Lem isn't common, as its one of the first runes actually worth keeping tho a lot of the lower ones have their use. Remember, your merc is meant to tank, so def, physical damage reduction and so forth are key things to look for in armor. Fhr is nice but not something to worry about on him. LL is essential, but not at the cost of low end armor (skin of the flayed one).

15. Izuma

Izuma IncGamers Member

Im currently a FO/FBer....

My Gear as of now is :

-Full Tals Set
    -33% FCR Spirit Monarch
    -50% War travs

Ring slots have junk MF rings which i must change
    Gloves have poor Rares....

Must start investing in some Charms i think, and maybe some Res rings...

Thanks for all the advice!

16. Shanksie1337

I suggest you add fcr gloves (magefists) & a 10 fcr ring to hit 105 fcr. Both should be very cheap, a few pgems.

17. Izuma

Izuma IncGamers Member

KK thanks Shanks, gonna do that and also Use that Gul i found the other day during our Rush to get a low Sorc Torch to boost Resi also... Think thats a good plan?

My hell Res's seem to be getting better aswell, have 30 FR, 50 CR, 75 LR, and only 10 PR, but running Meph mostly (mixed with Key runs) so Cold and Light are most important correct?#

Thanks again !

18. Shanksie1337

A sorc torch is a good idea, not sure if a Gul will get you one on Eu, but it might.

I'd also not worry too much about Pres, Cold Light and Fire are the one's I'd worry about, and with a Spirit shield lacking Fire I ended up sticking a Ral in my tals mask. If i ever get round to putting a facet or v nice jewel in the tals helm i can just buy another helm for a pgem or 2.

19. Izuma

Izuma IncGamers Member

Saw one go for 2 Ist on Morgues Torch shop the other day, but it was very low at 11-12 or something... But anything will do :)
    Yeah i think ill socket the Helm with a Ral, seems like what im lacking

thanks again Shanks !

20. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Hassle of crafting? I bet I could craft a blood helmet before you got a Tal's helm or a CoT or a Wormskull to drop from running Meph. Even from scratch, run NM Countess a dozen times at most and clear the basement, and you'll find your crafting rune, and 3 flawless rubies to cube up, and a JJ, more than likely. Even Normal countess can drop the necessary Ral, if you already have a Pruby.

You make it sound like Meph drops a leech helm every 10th time you run him :)

Of course by now I'm sure the OP has overcome that specific issue, but anyone else just starting out would benefit from keeping their eyes out for flawless rubies and JJs and a magic Casque and a Ral while they're working their way up...