Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

need input about skills on spearzon

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by damaris, Jun 24, 2005.

1. damaris

damaris IncGamers Member

need input about skills on spearzon

ok, as the title say. im goin to make a spearzon. it is obvious that u can not use LF skill on a spearzon right? so my mind quickly directed into LS for mass/crowd-killin'. but then i heard that LS is not as powerful as LF. any comments? i know, throwing javelin zon is far more superior than a spearzon, but that kind of build is toooo common. i need somethin..... EXOTIC!! yay..! :surprise:

so as for the skills, im planning like this:
    jav:
    20 LS
    20 charged strike
    20 jab

bow: (yes a bow as a second weapon to handle those nasty OK with IM)
    1 strafe
    1 guided arrow
    1 magic arrow
    1 multi

passive:
    1 Critical strike
    1 Penetrate
    5 Pierce (does it work on LS?)
    1 D/A/E
    1 Slow missles
    1 Decoy
    and put all extra points into inner site

thoughts? :)

2. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

imho, you don't need bow skills at all. here's the reasoning:
    1. with minimal points, you also get minimal AR. if you've never tried 1pt strafe, you should. it misses like crazy.

2. kuko, witchwild, magewrath, blood raven's charge, and widowmaker come with free skills, and at a lot higher than what you would get at 1 pt. more on this in a sec.

3. imho, you would be better off using all non-javelin skills with a big 2h, which would take the switch slot.

k, now, regarding witchwild and widowmaker, i used both bows on my a1 merc, and she rocks like crazy. i didn't realize why until later when i started using lightsaber on my pally. magic damage just plain rocks, and both these bows come with hefty amounts of magic damage. basically, since (most) monsters have 0 resistance vs magic, and 75% resist vs everything else, a very small amount of magic damage, say 200, does a huge amount of damage to monsters in hell by the same principle that cold mastery is the best mastery for sorcs.

for example, if you do 200 points of magic damage in hell, the monster takes 200 damage. to get the same amount of phys or elemental damage, you would have to do 800 damage (800 / 4, 200 X 4.)

therefore, rather than waste that 1 measly point in magic arrow, just grab either of those two bows and get it for free. on the plus side, you also don't need arrows as magic arrow doesn't use them.

on top of this, widowmaker comes with 2-4 guided arrow, which gives you 2 very good skills (magic arrow and guided arrow) for free which would otherwise cost you 4-6 skill points including pre-reqs.

[edit] thoughts on your build:

get valk. valk rules, rocks and can pretty much solo the game by herself. get that as high as you can, but even 1 point is worth it.

inner sight is not worth it. if you get an a1 merc, it's also free.

you need a total of 7 pierce + razortail to get a good pierce going. i would recommend 10 with at least +3-7 from items. it's a huge difference. you can see for yourself by using a buriza with any char vs any other bow. it comes with max pierce. it also makes a huge difference with LF.

i just ran a zon through with LF/1pt jab/20 valk, and it was fun as heck.

3. damaris

damaris IncGamers Member

@ superhal
    thx, very detailed. will consider. i still need other inputs from other ppl.

4. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Fend is ruined in 1.10, remember that :)

5. Tarantella

Tarantella IncGamers Member

I think max inner sight with a spearazon using physical attack, a valk and act 2 merc are points well spent.Why not use stone armour(FHR?) with a golem while you're at it. :)

I think throwing weapons and a good shield(spirit for FHR?) rather than a slower 2 handed spear are better overall.I think wands of lower resist,dim vision, weaken or confuse on switch have a lot going for them.

I also think not going within 200 yards of anyone likely to IM you is a very good idea too. ;)

6. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Inner Sight is one of the worst if not THE WORST skill to level up in diablo 2. The defense penalty to monsters is an integer NOT a %. What will -100 defense do to hell monsters with thousands of defense? Nothing, you will have just wasted 20 skill pts.

7. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Umm, hello? High level Inner SIght can reduce monsters in Hell to 0 def. It will cut Act Boss defense in half. And it's party friendly. It's a fantastic skill to max.

The only thing is, you should either max it or leave it alone. You either do or do not, there is no try.