Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need help

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Darkwell, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Darkwell

Darkwell IncGamers Member

Need help

I'm trying to host an mp game but Jill keeps getting 'cannot connect to server' message. When she hosts I get the same message. Any advise?

2. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

Make sure your firewall is deactivated, or that you have the diablo ports open. the first way is easy, the second a bit more complex.

Steve

3. Darkwell

Me stupid, please explain. This comp doesn't have a firewall, my other does.

4. Miranda

Miranda IncGamers Member

I've been told I didn't have my port open before. What does that mean and how do you open it?

5. Crudesash68

OK: If your PC doesn't have a firewall, my next question is, are you behind a router? If so, you need to find the correct IP address (PC's that use routers use the IP address to communicate to the router, but a different one to communicate with outside PC's. You can find this by going to a "what's my IP" website, but be careful, because they are not all reliable.

The ports I referred to are places in the firewall that you can choose to open to allow certain traffic in, such as diablo play. If you go to Blizzards web site, they have a tutorial page that gives you the steps you need to open said ports. Good Luck!

Steve

6. Chiastic

Chiastic IncGamers Member

Yay, I get to lecture people about computers!

Ok, your problem is that somewhere between you and the other computer, network traffic on the D2 ports is being blocked. There are two common causes for this: routers and firewalls (or both).

Routers first. Routers behave as de-facto firewalls because unsolicited incoming traffic (Jill trying to connect to a game that you're hosting) is dropped because the router doesn't know which computer on your network to send the data to. You can get around this by configuring port-forwarding on the router to send D2 traffic (tcp traffic on whatever ports D2 uses) to your computer. See your router's documentation for how to configure port-forwarding.

Now firewalls (assumed to be of the software variety): If you're running WinXP, I believe that the piece of crap Windows Firewall is enabled by default. The WinFirewall by itself isn't capable of preventing you from JOINING games because it can't block outgoing traffic (which is why it's a piece of crap), but it will prevent you from HOSTING them unless you configure it to give network access to D2. I suggest you turn the stupid thing off, though, if you haven't already.

For third-party firewalls (sygate, kerio, zonealarm, etc.), you basically need to give D2 full network access (see your firewall's documentation).

Anyhow, the idea is that if you give D2 network access in whatever software firewalls you're running (if any) and configure your router to forward the appropriate ports to your machine (if you're behind a router), multiplayer should work just fine.

If you can't get it figured out, just post all of your network (OS, router, firewall, blah blah) info here. I can't troubleshoot ya any further without that info.

7. Darkwell

Ok. thanks we can try blizzard. I have played with my son via a router, but I'm not currently connected to it. Also, I've tried twice to host a game and my comp has given me 2 different ip addy's as host. Should I try using the router?

8. Crudesash68

Are you using Dialup? That is the only way I can see you getting two different IP's. If so, before your next MP try, do this: go to the D2 folder on your PC, and look for a file that says "bncache"; and delete it. That file remembers your ip settings for the next time you use D2 online, but then screws them up on dialup. That may help.

Steve

9. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

don't know a lot about the subject, but using a router will probably add another layer of indirection. When playing with your son, were you both on the same network? Any half-decent router can handle internal network traffic - it's the external network (i.e. internet) traffic that causes issues like crudesash & chiastic described.

10. Chiastic

Chiastic IncGamers Member

If you aren't connected to a router, finding your IP is probably as easy as bringing up a DOS prompt (start, run, type "cmd" and hit enter) and then typing "ipconfig" and hitting enter.

(Note: I'm assuming that you're running XP. If you're running Win98, the correct command at the prompt is "winipconfig" iirc)

Oh, and no, don't connect to the router if you aren't already. It'll just make the situation more complex.

11. Darkwell

OK lots of things to try. Thanks all. We'll give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks again.

edit: yes, I'm using XP.

12. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Am i the only one who found that funny, taking it totally out of context and knowing what miranda is like? Or do i just have a rude mind?

13. Darkwell

You should see what I pm'd Miranda about that.

How do I find the winfirewall and turn it off?

14. farting bob

farting bob Banned

In control panel if your using service pack 2 (if not, you dont have a windows firewall) go to 'Windows firewall' (cunning how they named that one isnt it?) then it should be simple 1 click turn on/off.

15. Darkwell

It says service pack 1. So no firewall? When I do a search, I get a Windows text. In it it says 'internet connection firewall enabled'.

16. Miranda

Miranda IncGamers Member

maybe you've just caught onto me too much, LOL

17. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

I always forget this approach, but search through the help. I'm service pack 2, but if I type in 'firewall' in the help/search application, the first link they provide is turning on/off the firewall. Follow the instructions there, and you'll figure out if you have the firewall pretty quick.

Edit: if you get ambitious enough there's probably help info that'll allow you to figure out how to leave the firewall on and configure it to allow D2 play

18. BennB

BennB IncGamers Member

Can you please tell me which ports I should open (forward)

Thanks in Advance...

19. Crudesash68

Two different ip's? If you run Hi-Speed, then one is internal, and one is external. not sure which is which, but...

-Jon-

20. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

well my my win xp sp1 still had a firewall :p but it was so worthless i just left it off.

it should be under advanced on your internet connection. Was a while since i had only sp1 in so....

search google for what is my ip that should show your real ip adress.

to sad i have 3 firewalls :lol: it makes it hard to host;)