Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need help with underpowered zon

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Mikeyg, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Mikeyg

Mikeyg IncGamers Member

Need help with underpowered zon

Howdy Guys,

To be honest im not sure where im going wrong. My LF / Jab zon just seems to be a bit underpowered. Shes struggling to get over 1k lightning damage, her resists are low and she cant deal well with act bosses / powerful single opponents. Currently level 75, doing about 900 max damage with both LF and Jab.

Im using: Gaze, Shaft, SS, 192% upped titans, Sanders boots, Bloodfists, Wilhelm's Pride (duel leach set bet) 2 rare life leach rings and a rare mana leach ammy.

Skills are: Maxed LF, Maxed Valk, Maxed Jab, then skills split between dodge, evade, avoid, CS, penetrate and pierce - maybe 4 in each.

Stats are: Enough Str to use SS (about 150) 200 dex, 155 vit and base energy.

Any advice? I can fix my resists by dropping the shaft (i know i have more than 50% DR) for a Lionheart or Duriel's Shell, but i just dont know what to do about damage. I didnt like the look of synergies because they were only doing 1% damage per lvl and seemed better spent in the passive tree. She just doesnt kill mobs as quick as i thought she would / would like her to.

Any suggestions?

Mike

2. XZON

XZON IncGamers Member

You got a little happy with the leech. As far as damage goes, you have a great crowd control skill in LF. Jab is usually a 1 point wonder. You are not gonna do massive damage with this skill and it should be used only for LI's. You need another skill. For boss's I would recommend CS. It is synergized by light fury. I don't know how you can salvage at this point. High level peirce (at least 80%) helps speed up the Fury group kill speed dramatically if you can line the enemies up so the jav hits a few in a row.

I think most who use xxx/fury hybrid would choose bow skills or poison. Jab is just too weak IMO.

3. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

I have had many problems myself trying to go this route. My suggestions would be..

Crushing blow - Jab hits often, not hard. Guillaume's Face and either Duress or Gore Rider boots gets you to 50%. Craft some blood gloves and look for either +passives or, better, +jav skills. IAS would be gravy, though you could shop a +2 skill tree IAS gloves - check you jab bps.

You have way more leech than I would think necessary, so you can drop the belt and get SoE or 'Dungos for more DR if needed.

If you have this much DR, and you are going to melee, start putting point in ChStrike. You already have one synergy, and the diminishing returns on D/A/E will start to bite soon.

+skills (to get it beyond 20) and pierce are the best things for LF. In low LI areas, maybe consider going with TGod's or Razortail.

Make sure you use your decoy, she'll take the heat off of you and blondie for awhile. And if you are up against some LI's or some other nasties you don't want to melee with, chuck a PlJ to stop regeneration and throw the Titans from range - they'll do more damage and replenish soon enough. Just make sure you have a decent chance to hit (LF is autohit).

In terms of weapon switch , you can try Demon arch for the fire damage, or if you are feeling suicidal, maybe a big poke-stick. Alternatively, you could get FrzArrow for just 3 skill points. Use charms to boost the freeze length - the damage is irrelevant, so get small charms, as they will add one sec (1/4 in Hell) freeze length per cold affix. Once frozen, jab away.

My head is starting to hurt - I play mostly bowies and so don't worry much about resists or DR, and I am not that familiar with all of the gear options. I definitely suggest losing all that leech and some DR for CB, resists (pDia the SS), maybe some OW. Just use red and blue pots, and purple if necessary.

Good luck, and if you figure out how to make this work, please let me know, I really like the idea. I always want to believe that XZON can be wrong - sadly it hasn't happened yet.:D

DudSpud

4. ilovezons

ilovezons IncGamers Member

leech becomes more important as you progress in difficulty if your dexterity isnt really high. i have a tendency to lag a lot and because of this, unless i want to lose all the exp i get, i have to put more points into vitality than i should. my dex is only around 300 or so, and in hell my chance to hit most of the stuff in act4 is right around 70%. it is also interesting to note that although LF is indeed an anto hit skill, ONLY the lightning damage is guaranteed, and that damage doesnt apply to your leech. the javelin under the lightning bolt must hit the targeted monster for the leech to happen, and with my relatively low dex i have to compensate for my lower hit % with items that give me more life and mana back when i do hit. just a little tidbit for anyone out there wondering, like i did for a whole day, why my leeches suddenly stopped working in hell. a monster's % resistance to physical damage also reduces your leech by that same percentage. if you have, say, 20% life leech and a monster has 50% DR, a hit will only get you 10% life instead of your 20. at elsat thats how i think it works based on my observations. case in point, more leeches are okay :)

as for why you dont do much damage, for one you are using LF unsynergized so it wont be the crowd control monster that it would in a pure lightning zon. second, ZONX is right about jab, its a 1 point wonder. charged strike is preferrable by far. mine is around level 27 right now and it releases 8 bolts, each of which do 1-2400 or so damage. really good for non LI's. as for monsters who shrug off the lightning damage, use either magic or guided arrow. good low mana cost skills that almost always hit (in the case of guided arrow, they do always hit) and guarantee you some leech. also, your merc should be able to help you out against those guys.

5. PoorCobbler

PoorCobbler IncGamers Member

i find that my zon only ever uses jab for Li's (get eth titans) and charged strike and lightning fury for every thnig else. CS will do stacks of dmg and will aslo synergise LF :uhhuh:

6. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

Respectfully, I have to disagree with this. Each hard earned skill point put into a synergizing skill for LF gives you only 1% more damage. That is not woth the skill points. Pierce is the only real synergy for LF. 1K damage becomes 1.01K damage with 1 pt in a synergy. 1K damage becomes 2K damage if the LF pierces. You be the judge.

Oh, and remember, that 1K damage is per bolt, and a monster can be hit with more than one bolt. I think there is some kind of next-delay with the bolts, so thay can only be hit once per 2 or so frames... Anyone know for sure?

Now, synergizing ChStr is another matter entirely, and if you are going that route, then by all means invest more points in the other lightning skills. But do not do it for LF. Please.

DudSpud

7. XZON

XZON IncGamers Member

I think dud and cobbler are both right. 20 points in CS wiLL do some nice damage and as a little bonus, add 20% to your LF damage. Don't put the points in CS just to synergize LF because as Dud said, pierce is a better way to increase kill speed. If you do need the Boss killer though, it will give LF a bit of a boost.

Dud, you know this is gonna be a tough build without getting 19 of those jab points back. Light skills are gonna be a bit weak. May be able to solo hell but definately not an optimum build. I also wish I were wrong. Feel bad when someone has to rebuild.

8. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

Agreed, from all too personal experience. I dropped Brunehilde, a very similar build, in early Hell. I played her on SP, and didn't have access to the CB gear I thought might just make her viable. I got tired of 1pt FA'ing LI's in between jabs, and finally gave up after my first LI/PI...

DudSpud

9. Tarantella

Tarantella IncGamers Member

Rather than suggest a restart I'd suggest cheap temporary options of laying-of-hands gloves (+50% fire resist) maybe boots with some resists (natalyas?) - if you're into set items and maybe possibly a spirit monarch shield if you can make the strength requirement. With jab and LF on the titan I'd recommend a lower resist wand or weapon on switch.This set up should thin out the nasties before closing with jab used to finish off and leech back mana. Lower resist might help the valk as she often spawns with elemental enchanted gear and maybe careful choice of mercenary/merc gear will help too.

10. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

Yeah, I used to think this too, and tell myself that the points in penetrate were really helping.

However, I ran across this thread at the AB. Apparently, LF makes the javelin auto-hit as well, thus carrying physical damage CtC, pierce, etc.

Kinda cool, huh?

DudSpud