Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need help with nutritional lunch

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by neophase, Jun 6, 2005.

1. neophase

neophase Banned

Need help with nutritional lunch

so I eat the most healthiest breakfasts ever, 360 days of the year, so I need a lunch.

Lately, I keep eating:

Apple
    Banana
    Sandwhich (wholewheat/grain bread ($4/loaf) - stoneground/flax), grey pupon and/or mustard on the insides, with lunch in meat in between.
    2 different types is good (lunch in meat), sometimes I'm forced to have one. Tommorrow, Monday, I have no lunch-in meat, so no sandwhich.

Landscaping is tough physically demanding work, I need my food!!!

Butter, Margarine, Mayonaise, are poison.
    Hydrogenated, BHA/BHT is poison....
    I am disgusted by supplements, needles, shots, pills, capsules, etc.
    I can make a salad, I don't have access to a microwave, nor oven, nor something to cook with, so hard to eat meat. etc. etc.

2. Stevinator

Stevinator Diabloii.Net Member

Sounds like you wouldn't like anything I have to offer. Everything I eat is delicious.

3. adamfgt78

adamfgt78 Diabloii.Net Member

luncheon meat, not lunch in

I recommend a nutritionalisticious lunch of a needle and pill sandwich.....oh wait, darn you don't like supplements, needles, shots, pills nor capsules. Sorry, mate, can't help you out then.

4. AjustinMyJonson

AjustinMyJonson Diabloii.Net Member

A little clarity on why you need the healthy lunch would be good. Are you trying to lose weight, not gain weight or just stay healthy?

Having said that i do have a few suggestions (being an athlete and a runner myself)

The fruit choices you made are great, apples and bananas will do fine. You might want to make a couple changes on the sandwhich. Stay with the wheat/grain bread, but i would take the mustard off, and anything else you put on it, even if its low fat, its not helping anything. Not all lunch meats are the best food to eat. A great sandwhich is a plain turkey and cheese, ham and cheese, or even roast beef(if youre feeling really wild you could even toast one).

If your trying to lose weight, or even if you arent, i would suppliment the healthy diet with some aerobic exercise, such as running, biking, or something like that (soccer and ultimate frisbee are a few fun ways to get exercise and not even know it). Yes even though you do landscaping, thats not really aerobic (at least not in my experience), you gotta keep that heart rate up! Landscaping is more anaerobic and strength training.

Anyway, thats just my $.02, i hope you find it helpful, and if so, let me know if theres anything else you need.

5. cyclotronic

cyclotronic Diabloii.Net Member

Might I suggest McDonalds?

Just a thought.

6. Damotta

Damotta Diabloii.Net Member

Well, I can think of a lot of options but you might not go for some of them. So, here's a few questions (along with answers): :p

Are you bent on having some kind of sandwich?

If you want a totally healthy sandwich I would suggest switching to fake meat made from soy. It's a bit different at first yes, but it can be adjusted to. Or there are many other things you can replace the meat with such as: bean patty, veggie burger, and similar stuff. No they dont taste like meat and it wont be your casual American sandwich but they're full of flavor and easy to customize.

If you want to keep your meat, I suggest only using 1 or two slices on a sandwich at a time, and use some of the healthier meat like organic meat (no steroids, antibiotics, that kinda stuff. it can usually be bought at delis in health-oriented stores). Mixed meats like balogna is probably the worst of the meats.

No cheese. Cheese is quite fatty and despite what the USDA says about it giving you calcium, it's really of very little use to your body.

The bread your using is good. But of course, if you want to go extremely healthy, you may try switching to sprouted wheat bread. It has more enzymes than regular bread which help you digest food better.

If you must have a condiment, mustard is one of the better choices for you, but mustards vary, so check the nutritional facts on their labels. What I use as a condiment that takes the place for cheese as well is called "Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread". It tastes amazingly like butter/margarine, but is made from soy, and is non-hydrogenated. It does have a little bit of fat, as all butter-type foods do so use sparingly.

Also, try to use as many veggies on your sandwhich as possible. If you use lettuce, use butter lettuce, romaine, or red. Forget the iceberg lettuce. It doesnt have many nutrients. Tomatoes are good as well, as is zuchinni, pickles, cucumber, etc.

Do you like salads much?

If you do, that's a good thing. They can be very healthy. Green salads are the best for your body. That is, the kind with no meat, cheese, or dressing on top. And the good thing about salads is they're very customizable. Use the same varieties of lettuce as mentioned above, and add whichever vegetables you like. When I started eating salads I started off with just a few veggies, and worked my way up to more. Now I put on radishes, carrots, bellpepper, onion sometimes, mushrooms, calliflower, and whatever strikes my fancy at the time. I also sprinkle herbs and lime juice on the top to give it some extra flavor. A vinegarette wouldnt be a bad idea either if you happen to like vinegar.

Are you much of a cook?

There are a lot of healthy alternative home-cooked meals that you can put in a lil rubbermaid container and take to the work site for lunch. It just depends on how willing you are to learn then make these foods. Things like noodle cassarole, enchiladas, spaghetti. Basically anything you wouldnt mind eating cold. Of course, the aforementioned foods would have to be altered drastically from the typical American style. Most Americans smother their foods with cheese, butter, oil, dressings, and other things in order to "add flavor". There are many healthy cook books available if cooking's your thing. You'll most likely have to adjust to new things if you're looking to go really healthy. I had a very hard time adjusting from the common fatty foods most people eat, but now I like to eat what I eat, and would never consider going back.

Bottom line: check the labels on the things you eat. If you're the organized type, count the calories you consume each day. Don't try to exceed 2000-2500 if you dont exercise much or at all. Other than that, just watch the fat contents, be careful of certain ingredients like hydrogenated oils, and most importantly, use common sense. It couldnt hurt to do some research on nutrion either. Many a good book can be found on nutritional lifestyles.

Anyway, keep up with the fruits. They're extremely good for you. Most Americans rarely eat fruits, so you're already ahead of the game. Hell, even your sandwich is more healthy than most people's. I'd say you're doing a pretty good job as is. Make sure to drink plenty water during your lunch and the rest of the day to keep your body hydrated.

And don't forget to exercise. It's vital to staying in shape. Take up bicycling, running/jogging, working out on home/gym equipment. Whatever floats your boat. It doesnt take much either. 30-60 mins 4-6 times a week is a good place to start if you dont have much time in your daily schedule.

PS. if you're looking to switch over to a completely healthy lifestyle, or simply looking for some more advice, please PM me. I'd be happy to help :)

7. neophase

neophase Banned

damotta and justin, thank you for your quality responses!!

Not for weight lost, I am 6'2", 180lbs ~~, so my weight is perfectly alright, I have a bit of muscle there, working on getting the 6pack.

I like my sandwhich, it provided me with energy - carbs, for the hard work I do. The meat I can switch over, I'll be looking into that. Mustard, as I see it, is the only sauce topping I can put on it. Mayonaise, butter, barbecue sauce, margarine, etc. I believe are all poison. Maybe a tad of dressing?

I have a salad written down with over 22 ingredients, it's crazy, will hafta do some grocery shopping shortly.

Tomatoes and Lettuce are a great way to increase the health of my lunch, good thoughts there; Along with cucumber, zucchini, + many more.

I'm not a big fan of soy, cheese, and milk. Broccoli has Calcium don't it? Could throw that in my salad.

I just want something that'll totally fill me up entirely... eh, that boneless chicken I've been eating is pretty darn good.
    Do we have anything these days even close to DragonballZ sensu bean? :D

Thanks for the feedback all, have a good one, good discussion ;)
    Search my name and you'll find my breakfast of champions!!

8. Draconis

Draconis Diabloii.Net Member

I would recommend you get some pickle for the sandwich, but I don't know what the closest thing to it on sale in the US is.

9. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName Diabloii.Net Member

I would think pickles are pretty standard everywhere, they are also great on sandwiches. I usually load my sandwiches with lots of lettuce, cukecumbers, tomatos, pickles, mustard and whatever other veggies are around. Sometimes I use whole wheat wraps to avoid extra bread.

And I should point out that mustard is a great condiment. (Not honey mustard, of course.) Most yellow mustards pack like 1 calorie.

10. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak Diabloii.Net Member

Soup and a good sandwich are my staples.

I also try to avoid carbonated drinks and only drink water when I am doing a lot of physical work. Not only are they just empty calories but it hurts your ability to work. And it doesn't even taste that good. Use a good fruit drink instead.

Garbad

11. Ãœdorim

Ãœdorim Diabloii.Net Member

You need fat to live.

Just thought I would point that out.

Don't hate on cheese so much =\ I love cheese. I don't understand where you people are getting this "cheese has no/few benefits" from but you're crazy. First, there are different kinds of cheeses, just like there are different kinds of meats, lettuces, etc. Second, fat really isn't the devil and there are cheeses relatively low in fat. Lastly, cheese has way more to offer than just calcium. For example, cottage cheese is a very lean source of protein. Even made with 2% milkfat it has more protein with less fat than fowl meat (turkey, chicken), soybeans and just about everything else (minus only fish like Halibut or Haddock, but fresh fish is expensive where I live =\ ). It's also available in 1% or less milkfat or even in "non-fat" if you're so inclined. Cottage cheese also has the additional benefit of being extremely accessible — buy it in a tub at the store and eat it straight out of the container. How much lazier can you get? If you don't like the taste, try adding a sprinkle of cinammon and/or vanilla extract.

If you're eating vegetables go for the dark, dark green. Cucumber doesn't get a lot of marks for nutritional value, but if you're eating it anyway make sure to eat the skin (if it's a variety you don't have to peel). Spinach is very good for you, and like cottage cheese is well suited to the lazy lifestyle (since it's most nutritious raw, I just eat it out of the fridge sometimes =p).

The closest you'll get to a sensu bean is a multivitamin. You claim to be anti-supplement but I question your reasoning. Have you done any research into them, or nutrition in general? I recommend that you do. Getting hurt by a multivitamin is like getting hurt by exercise. It doesn't happen if you're not an idiot. And if you do it right, it can actually improve your well being. Actually, if you have a family doctor I would recommend you ask them about the potential benefits of a multivitamin during your next checkup. I'd wager they won't push one on you, since you're a healthy adult, but they will be able to tell you which ones to consider and which ones are just a waste of money.

Oh, that's besides water. Water is magic. Magic is fairly similar to a sensu bean, is it not? Drink up.

Try eating smaller meals more frequently during the day. You've probably heard this before, and if you haven't tried it, maybe now's the time. Basically you just eat whenever you're hungry. A pattern I usually fall into is something I might call a meal (sandwiches and fruit, for example) every 4 or so hours, with snacks whenever I feel like it.

Rice is a good way to get carbs. It's easy, cheap, relatively quick, and it's healthy. There's a lot of variety with rice and it generally goes well in or alongside a number of salads and soups. Try substituting your sandwich for a plate/thermos of wild rice with a few strips of chicken for one lunch and see if you like it. Not that it's necessarily more healthy than your sandwiches, I'm just offering it because I would get bored of sandwiches eventually.

edit:
    Drink water, eat the fruit. =) That's the way I see it, but then again I can't/am not willing to afford juice expensive enough to be healthy except as a treat some of the time =p I'm also too lazy to make my own healthy juice but that's a good option too.