Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

need help with my thrower/melee hybrid

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by JohnYKR, Mar 2, 2004.

1. JohnYKR

JohnYKR IncGamers Member

need help with my thrower/melee hybrid

like it says in the title i am planning on making a thrower/melee hybrid. I planned this char for 09 but with the release of 110 it is not possible to synergize throw and get the melee skills i wanted. This is the build that i was going to use:
    1 double throw
    20 throw mast
    20 BO
    1 BC
    1 NR and Iron Skin
    12 Inc Speed
    1 zerk
    20 WW
    10-20 spear mast(i am using javs)
    So as you can see it doesnt leave much room for other skills. What skills should i put less in or get rid of so that i can synergize throw.

2. boochie61

boochie61 IncGamers Member

I see a big problem with this build. WW is a bad idea without a shield. You had better have two really high end 1 hand weapons or one uber 2 hand to try it in this patch. Perhaps you should consider frenzy instead since that will save you on so many points in inc speed since the frenzy charge has the same speed effect. Because the critical hit was fixed in the patch, I have a feeling you're going to find yourself in a pile of monsters near dead because leech has been nerfed as well. You are just setting yourself up for instant death with two lower damage weapons in melee ww(even if high end cruel you won't see much more than 150 to 200, hardly an uber weapon), plus without the double swing synergy, you won't be doing enough damage to matter with double throw making both ineffective. Now if you instead, put the same points in frenzy and double swing that you were going to put in ww and inc speed (double swing being a synergy for both double throw and frenzy), now you got something going on. Hybrids are harder in this patch, but doable. Your choice, but I wouldn't build it the way you are describing.

3. JohnYKR

JohnYKR IncGamers Member

well i guess i didnt make this clear. This build was meant for 09 PvP. and i had a jav/shield setup when block was needed. The advantages of ww were being able to run from a melee guy then quickly ww back into the guy(The same property can be used against fast monsters). The only prob with frenzy is that it requires chargeup time(PvP that is suicide, im not sure about PvM). and one other thing what do u think of using zerk it wasnt mentioned.
    Thanks for the help.

4. boochie61

Ah, my bad. Ok with that info, let me rethink. I should have known by the increased speed, I wasn't paying attention. Ok, I would not max ww anyway, because with your dex, you're going to have plenty of attack rating, so tone it down a bit, maybe to 12 or so to get you into the + damage side of ww. Put the rest in spear mastery thus boosting your damage further. I wouldn't waste a point in berserk myself. No matter how many vita charms you get, you are going to be underlife with the barbs/pally's you are bound to face melee. You aren't going to have all the bo gear available to you like the other barbs, and your switch isnt going to be a cta like the pallys, so your switch is going to be a working weapon. You with 0 def + lower life = lots of losses to people with more life, or in the case of the pally insane block. Since isn't going to be a pvm build, don't add pvm features I think.

5. JohnYKR

JohnYKR IncGamers Member

Ok, I think that i have my skill allocation down. but now my next prob is where should my stats go. Im going to go with enough str for gear(obviously), but Im not sure how much life im going to need since ive never made a long range PvP char. so what I need to know is how much life should I shoot for.

6. boochie61

well pvm youd be shooting for 230-275 dex allocated (no gear), about 100-110 strength, and the balance in vitality. but this is dueling. You will pick up at least some dex on your items so Iyou can tone down the dex some. Hope this helps. BTW at 275 dex with no merc youd be doing around 4-5k with the lacerators if synergies were max w/o charms. I'm guessing your damage will be in the 2.5-3 range without double swing, so you're going to need some good charms :D. GL, if done right, youll do well.

7. JohnYKR

JohnYKR IncGamers Member

well i dont have lacerators. I have two cruel winged harpoons. I picked them up in 09 and havent done much trading in 1.10. the ed%s are 300 and 290.