Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need Help with Movie title

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lord_Helmet, May 6, 2005.

1. Lord_Helmet

Lord_Helmet IncGamers Member

Need Help with Movie title

Ok, I haven't seen this movie since I was little. Its probably an 80s movie, I don't know how popular it might have been. But I have been trying to remember it for a long time. All I can tell you is its about a group of sled dogs in alaska or antaritica, I believe the dogs were on an exploration team and weather got so bad so fast that the dogs had to be left behind at camp. The dogs got free and tried to get somewhere. I remember most of them dying along the way, it was a very sad movie. I know 1 or 2 dogs were on ice and it broke away from the main group and they floated away to their doom. I remember being very disturbed from watching it. Anyways if anyone knows the name of the movie i'd be very thankful I might want to watch it again.

2. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Did they make a movie out of Jack London's The Call of the Wild? Sounds like a possibility.

3. mexicanoloco

mexicanoloco IncGamers Member

It does actually...but some parts that lord said aren't from the book

4. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

I checked this out using IMDB's Plot Search but none of the results seem to really fit what you're talking about.

Perhaps something in one of the results will jog your memory.

5. Lord_Helmet

I've scoured the IMDB, i believe I remember a killer whale eating one of the dogs, its definitely a group of dogs and most of them die on their journey...unfortunately my parents were of no help, they can't remember back that far.

6. mexicanoloco

ok so now we know it isnt the call of the wild..

7. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Never saw it, but what about White Fang?

Though I think that was early 90s. But it had huskies in it...

8. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

I think the movie you are thinking of might be "The Last Place On Earth". It's about 20 years old and has to do with the race to be the first man to reach the South Pole in the early 1900's.

9. mexicanoloco

yeah..it had huskies....and I think they ran away alsoo...maybe it it white fang

10. kernelpops

kernelpops IncGamers Member

11. Lord_Helmet

its definintely not white fang, I was pretty young it had to be in the 80s or 70s, i'm going to check out the other 2 possible ones

12. Lord_Helmet

Awesome Job, I can't pronouce the name of the japanese version, but the american subtitle is Antartica or however you spell it. Heres a summary of the movie if anyone is interested, I wonder if I can find it on ebay or something...

In 1958, the first Japanese Antarctic Expedition prepares to leave Showa Base to be replaced by a second party of scientists who are on board the ice-breaker, Soya. The Soya is unable to reach Showa Base because of a fierce storm, so a small plane carries the returning men to the ship.

The last two men, Ochi and Ushioda, are reluctant to leave since it means abandoning their fifteen sled dogs until the second group arrives. The dogs, their constant companions and only means of transportation during their stay, are chained together on a tether line on posts embedded in the ice.

When a storm cancels the departure of the second group of scientists, Ochi asks to be returned to the base to humanely kill the dogs rather than allow them to starve to death. The captain of the Soya decides that the risk is too great and fuel is low. He refuses Ochi’s request and the ice-breaker heads back to Japan.

The dogs flail themselves against their restraining collars and chains. They are starving and freezing in the bitter Arctic cold. Eight manage to free themselves, but the rest soon die in their restrictive bonds.

The eight starving dogs run in circles searching for food, with littermates Taro and Jiro leading the pack. They attack a frightened sea lion and share the carcass. They dig fish out of cracks in the ice. One dogs falls into a crack and is crushed by the ice flow. Another, Shiro, falls off a cliff, breaks his leg, and separated from the others, lies down to die. A third dog, Jack, is marooned on an ice berg that drifts out to sea.

A year later, when Ochi and Ushioda join another expedition to return to their dogs, they find only Taro and Jiro alive. The death toll: Seven die in chains and six lost at sea.

The Antarctic sequences were filmed at the North Pole from December 1981 to February 1982. Though the film was released in the US by 20th Century Fox, it was produced by a Japanese film company, Kurahara Productions. The entire crew—including the dog trainer—was Japanese. Although the director’s intent was to show that “man abuses his environment and all living creatures are in a precarious situation,†the fifteen dogs used in the film were exposed to many stressful situations. However, the production company claimed that all of the dogs were trained animal actors and “that not one canine was hurt during the shooting.†The seal that was attacked by the pack of dogs may not have fared as well. There is also the skua bird, which was plucked from the sky and eaten by Taro and Jiro. The blatant examples of animal endangerment, abuse, and neglect during production necessitated an Unacceptable rating from AHA.