Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need help with MF Necro Gear

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Pailon, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Pailon

Pailon IncGamers Member

Need help with MF Necro Gear

Here is what I have.

Helm: Harlequin Crest (Might socket with Ist) 50%
    Armor: Skulder's Ire (Might socket with Ist) 123%
    Wep: 6 Socketed Ist Phaseblade 180%
    Shield: 4 Socketed Ist Monarch 100%
    Gloves: Chance Guards 30%
    Belt: Gold Wrap 30%
    Boots: Suggestions please?
    Rings: 2x Naegel 50%
    Amulet: Don't have an MF Amulet
    Wep+Armor Prebuff: Blackhand Key, Homonculus.

W/o the extra sockets in Helm+Armor at lv 99 I would have 613% MF but I don't know breakpoint MF so if you would be so kind as to tell me it I would love to know. With the extra sockets it would be 663% (Damn so close XD)

2. Rawness

Rawness IncGamers Member

Re: Need help with MF Necro Gear

There's actually no breakpoints for MF, there are however diminishing returns.
    I really have no knowledge of how mf is calculated in relations to drops, but there are threads around if you use the conveniently placed search buttom.

And throwing ist in Skulders or harlequin instead of a PtopaZ I consider a waste.

2xnagels = 60%?

3. Pailon

Pailon IncGamers Member

I thought Nagels gave 25% each... And Good point.... I'll just put 2 Ptopaz in both and then put in a small mf charm or something.

4. XCodes

XCodes IncGamers Member

Nagels give a variable range between 20 and 30, and Chance Guards also give a variable range between 25 and 40.

I should tell you that this is so way beyond overkill that it's liable to hinder more than it helps. For summoners, I'd prefer a setup like this:

Weapon: Blade of Ali Baba w/ 2x Ist (cheaper and more stylish)
    Shield: Magic/Rare Shield w/ +resists, +blocking, and 2x Ist (Need more resists on this character, Moser's technically counts here, although a head can get you staffmods)
    Armor: Skullder's Ire w/ PTopaz
    Helm: Shako w/ PTopaz since you have it, but some kind of dream rare circlet (+2 necro skill, 2os, +20-30 Res All, +mf) would be better, even though it has less mf and no life or mana, this build needs more resists.

At any given point this setup will net you about 400 mf, which is more than enough. Get Trang Gloves, dual resist boots, a nice +skill/+res-all amulet, and a dual resist ring or two. Use whatever belt you feel works best, TGods is probably what you want. With this setup, you should have some resists vs. everything and Fire/Lightning should be maxed.

If you're a Poison or Bone necro, then you're probably too gear dependent to get much more than about 200 or 300 mf, depending on how lucky you are with rares.

5. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

You're at the point where your kill speed is going to go down the tubes.

400 mf is the limit pretty much for a necro to effectively burn through the game easily with great MF.

You can do better, but why?

6. Pailon

Pailon IncGamers Member

idk... I just killed Hell Baal (took like 20 mins XD damn merc killing speed) and yes kill speed goes down the drain but if you find GOOD gear does it matter in the end? I still have all 3 respecs So I could change the build in slight ways just to make it 30x better (overexaggerating) kill speed.

Here is the current Skill set up. and the one for lv 99.

Current:
    20-Clay Golem
    20-Golem Mastery
    20-Skeleton Mastery
    1-Raise Skeleton
    1-Raise Mage
    10-Revive
    1-Teeth
    1-Dim/Amp/Terror/Weaken/Decrep
    19-Corpse Explosion

Lv99:
    20-Clay Golem/Golem Mastery/Skele Mastery/Revive/Corpse Explosion
    1-Teeth/Dim/Amp/Terror/Weaken/Decrep/Bone Armor
    rest into Bone Wall.

I have tried this build before and the kill speed is horrid w/o good skill+ers. Sadly I play sp so Hellfire and Anni are of no use to me... It took about 10-15 mins to kill Hell Baal at lv 99. I could take out revives and get Bone Spear and max teeth instead which would make the CE chain alot faster...

The only problems I have is when finding Gloams and being stupid and not casting Dim. That is the only time where I died in Hell. Normal was of speeding and I never died in NM. My golem is so overpowered it does not ever need to be recast. Unless I get overswarmed by Gloams or something but on bosses it's invincible.

7. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

The point with mf is to have as much as u can without decreasing your kill speed. Taking 20 mins to kill baal with 600 is vastly worse than killing him in 5 minutes with 250mf. On average you will find much better gear with a fast 250mf run.

8. TurtleBay

TurtleBay IncGamers Member

I've had the best luck with:

PTopaz Halequin Crest
    Enigma
    Mara's Kaledescope
    Ist Ist Ali Baba
    PDiamond Homunculus
    Prebuff: Arm of King Leoric / PDiamond Homunculus
    Magefist
    War Travelers
    Thundergod's Vigor
    Gheed's Charm
    Hellfire Torch
    3-5 +1 summon skiller grand charms
    Ravenfrost
    Nagelring

This setup yields well over 350% magic find, but also has a level 7 teleport, max block, resists and huge + to the summons. With magic find diminishing returns, 350% magic find yields 145% effective magic find for uniques, while 700% magic find yields 184%. Wearing things that will slow you down like Skullder's instead of enigma, or get you killed like an Isted monarch instead of a diamond homunculus will overall result in you finding less good items because of these diminishing returns.

9. Pailon

Pailon IncGamers Member

That was a flaw... I had horrid resists and if I got hit by 5-6 Gloams at once I got instakilled from stunblock (no FHR due to Golem Tank)

I had 9 GC skillers (Summon) and I had Anni/Hellfire at the time and My Golem had over 45k hp... I do believe that is alot.

I've realized have made a mistake within choosing MF over Better Skills but last time I did Better Skills it was a flaw... I am quite new to gear choosing and build making and need ALOT more experience till I get good...

@Turtle: Magefist? I would've chosen Frostburn for the 30 (or 40 idr)% mana increase. I have never gotten Thundergod's,Mara's (only good ammy I found was Highlord's), Arm of Leoric, and even the Jah rune to Enigma. I'm thinking of a different armor but I'm not sure what to use... Mabye a Archon Plate with Bone in it.... Till I get runes for Enigma of course :)

10. Pailon

Pailon IncGamers Member

Sorry about not asking sooner but for the resists is it in Hell or NM or Normal?

11. Tarantella

Tarantella IncGamers Member

A few ladders back my HC mf necro had (and I'm sure many other players have had too)

Shako(topaz),Skullders(topaz), 2 x 30 nagels,40 chancies,40
    gheeds,maras,hoto(with alibaba/rhyme on swap for boss drop only),homunculus and wartravellers.Anni,torch, a couple of skillers,more mf and resist charms in the inventory. Belt was upped goldwrap with thundergods in the cube for gloam areas. None of this upstart teleport nonsense. Harrumph!

12. TurtleBay

TurtleBay IncGamers Member

Just ran a full clear of WSK 2 and 3 to Baal. Took a little over 12 minutes to get from the WSK2 wp to baal's drop with all boss packs dead. Spawned souls and Temptresses which made it take longer as I needed to slow down a lot. Bet I could do 6 full clears in an hour if I got back in practice (my necro is no longer ladder, and thus not used as much/out of practice). If your runs take longer than 13 1/2 minutes, I can make up for my lower mf with faster kill rate due to the vastly diminishing returns past 350 mf (around where my char is). Note that my merc is not using any runeword stuff (Tal's Armor, Bonehew, Guillame's Face) and adds a lot of mf to his kills.

13. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

I see the problem with your build.

You sunk tons of points into golem skills.

Wasted.

The fastest mf necro is the fishy.

14. XCodes

XCodes IncGamers Member

Hell. Why MF anywhere else? Nightmare Andy for SoJs?

15. Mason

Mason IncGamers Member

My Fishy has max block and resists, and about 33-34 for SM and RS, and manages a 240 or so MF. Would be higher if I socket my shako with a Ptopaz.

16. Vodnik

Vodnik Banned

Nagelring Rings give between 15% - 30% MF. Sorry, that was just really bugging me.

Also,if I were the OP, I would go Poison Nova/CE. With the gear you are proposing to use(Overkill, IMHO) Psn/CE will not kill as fast as a sorceress, but it will kill marginally faster than a fishymancer. Between the Poison/Fire/Physical damage sources, you will not find any monster you cannot kill. If poison immune mobs are a problem, have your mercenary take down a mob or two, then destroy everything with CE.

Like the Fishy though, this is an area runner. It is still faster with Bosses than a fishymancer, but it is still too slow to merit boss running.

In particular, I highly suggest running the Pits. It has between 5-8 boss packs total(that includes both floors) and a super chest. There are absolutely NO poison immune monsters in this area. While some Unique Bosses can spawn with PsI, I have ran the Pits thousands of times with this build for several years, and I have yet to see a single one.

As for the actual skill placement, my preference is as follows:

20 Poison Dagger
    20 Poison Explosion
    20 Poison Nova
    20 Corpse Explosion

1 point in all curses

1 in Clay Golem
    1 in Golem Mastery
    1 in Summon Resist

I'm currently dividing the rest of my points between Amplify damage and Lower Resist.(I just can't get enough of that Radius! I love cursing screens at a time haha)

Of course, all of this is only a suggestion, and most of it is simply a collection of my personal preferences.

As a side note however, if you do decide you would like to try this build, I highly suggest sacrificing a little MF, and putting on Trang Gloves/Shield and a third piece of your choosing.(Usually people choose the belt.)

Those three items will Significantly increase your killing speed, and are relatively easy to trade for.(Not to mention cheap.)

Whatever you may decide, I hope you find some of this useful, and good luck with your runs.