Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need help with Matrial Arts Assasin

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by bobsicle, Apr 8, 2004.

1. bobsicle

bobsicle IncGamers Member

Need help with Matrial Arts Assasin

Hello everyone,

I would first like to say hi to this community. You guys have been very helpful in my DII ventures so far.

First, I am making a martial arts assasin(dual claws) with Pheonix Strike as its primary attack. I plan on maxing out Pheonix Strike, Claws of Thunder, and Fist of Fire. But after that I am not to sure on what to invest my points in. Should i max out claw mastery, shadow mastery, and put some points into blocking?

Second, I am totally lost with the stat points I have absolutly no clue on how much dexterity I should have with a Martial Arts assasin because if I have too less i wont be able to hit any monsters. I won't be putting any points in strength after I acquire enough to use my equipment though. For vitality I plan on putting quite a few points into this. Finally, I won't be putting any points into energy. I'm just not too sure about how much points I should invest in each.

Any help, suggestions, feedback would be great especially for stat points.

Thanks for your time,
    Bobsicle

2. Frost-X

Frost-X IncGamers Member

A martial art assassin using phoenix strike is very very weak i should say. The damage wise is low and quite a number of points are spent on synergys .
    Try using Dragon Tail Tiger Claw , the release charge can deal up to 20k dmg and Dragon tail has a knockback & area effect. Nice Choice. No synergy needed. Lots of points to put into other area.

3. bobsicle

bobsicle IncGamers Member

The thing is, I want to make one with pheonix strike as the primary attack. If i was looking for a high damage character i would have stuck to a class I am used to building. It was probably my fault in my original post that I did not mention this but I was looking for suggestions that would have kept pheonix strike as my main attack.

4. DragonKnight_Aka

DragonKnight_Aka IncGamers Member

well their a saying it's better to try then not try at all so when ur done maxing those skillz out maybe u should work up tiger strick ( I can't spell ) for more damage with phenix or maybe a shadow warroir to do the same attacks u do or shadow master to help ? just ideas

5. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

Actually, Phoenix Strike can be good. I've proposed a PS/CoT build using a Crescent Moon runeword axe or sword, though I've never tried it. It looks good on paper.

You could switch to the CM weapon to perform your release and take advantage of the -35% Lightning Resist.

6. amperel

amperel IncGamers Member

i'm currently making a ma sin focusing on ps and its synergies. imo ps is way more fun than ts/dtail and not as weak as ppl make out to be. first of all it's versatile - u don't have to worry about immunities. second of all it's more challenging in the sense that u need to use other skills to help out, i.e. your shadow skills. finally, think of ps sin as a kind of caster that uses melee skills to cast your "spells" - your main power doesn't come from your physical attack but your elemental attack. therefore, having as many +skills items as u can would make u a pretty formidable crowd killer - that and your merc and mb and cloak and maybe ds.

anyway, back to the original poster's question: if u find yourself not hitting monsters as often as u'd like (like a sorc running out of mana) - u might want to invest points in claw mastery. but i'd say wait till u r higher lvl to see if u still have that problem cause the difference between your clvl and monster lvl affect your %chance to hit. having an itd weapon like nat claw would help alot so that u may save points for other more useful skills.
    a shadow master would help but really a merc and cloak and mb is enough to handle the toughest situation. and u don't even need to max cloak and mb to be effective.
    u might want to consider putting a point in death sentry for clearing the crowd and banishing the ressurected monsters. or a point in blade fury whenever u r iron maiden'ed. or even a point in blade shield for leech.
    venom is an option if u want to expand your "repertoire" but i'd say ps is enough to hold your own by itself. and yes u could max ts/dtail but i won't recommend it since u already max fof (refer to the stickied guide). or u could max boi to complement your fire/lightning attack.

7. rockboy888

rockboy888 IncGamers Member

I'm working on a PS assn and its quite fun. She's now lvl 50 and shes got max claws of thunder and PS. claws of thunder is quite nice as 3 charges lightning dmg can accumlated to 10k with the plus skills. She can kill lots in nightmare but not sure in hell yet.
    PS assn is very versatile as you have physical, fire, cold and light dmg, just max out PS and the elemental synergies you want but I wouldn't max all of the synergies coz it uses too much skills (4 x 20 to max it). At least add one to other skills like Boost of speed, claw mastery, etc... and dragon claw for the finish :flip:

8. morris

morris IncGamers Member

always the problem is ...can it survive hell?????

With any melee char the problem is you have to get up close to hit...that means your gonna be hit back ..(and very hard at that) ... IMO the BOI + PS >>>>>>>> COT/FOF because a monster that cant hit back cant kill you :) .. especially against anything thats frenzied etc.

9. Lunatic

Lunatic IncGamers Member

With a decent equipment these kind of elemental sins can survive quite easy. Just rely on the use of your shadow skills alot. CoS and MB are real life savers , and they're made for a reason.

10. Mordenkainen

Mordenkainen IncGamers Member

Phoenix Strike assassins rule. I have a level 83 PS/DC assassin using Nat's set, and I have no problem at all surviving (and killing fairly quickly) in Hell. With a few Martial arts GCs Phoenix Strike's second charge (with maxed CoT) can reach 8000 max damage. Considering that the lightning bolts hit almost everything on screen, and hit some baddies twice, and are released every second or so, that's a lot of damage. Casting several meteors in quick succession will kill any boss except fire immunes in seconds, and Chaos Ice Bolt is one of the best crowd control skills in the game.

As for survivability, with my nat's set that gives me 30% physical damage reduction, a string of ears (15% PDR), 4 Sol runes (minus 28 damage per attack), maxed resists, and lots of magic damage reduction from nat's set, I don't even need to use cloak of shadows and chaos ice bolt very often to stay alive.

Now, to answer bob's questions:

It depends on how many +skill items you have. At skill level 17, all of the shadow master's items are rare, so additional skill points invested in SM won't make her that much better, especially if you take many of the hits and use cloak of shadows. Since my items give me +9 to shadow disciplines, I put 8 points in Shadow Master, and she does fine in Hell.

As for weapon block, in my opinion 50% block is enough for PvM. You reach 50% at skill level 10, so again it depends on your +skill items).

Claw mastery is mostly good for the bonus to attack rating. If your items give you enough AR, I guess you could do OK with only a few points (or even only one) in Claw Mastery, but personally I've been having trouble hitting some of the tougher bosses in Hell, so I'm putting points in CM.

If your AR is high enough, I suppose you could put points in Venom. More damage never hurts.

Don't bother putting points in blades of ice, it won't increase chaos ice bolt's freeze duration, and the damage is lousy compared to phoenix strike's first and second charges.

As with strenght, you need only have enough dexterity to use your equipment. Dexterity doesn't give that much AR.
    Most of your points should go in Vitality. Even if, like me, you have -45% and -28 PDR, maxed resists, and all that, you're going to need LOTS of life to tank long enough to get your charges in Hell. At level 83 I have 310 vitality, if I remember correctly.