Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need help with blizzsorc.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by DathRemar, Nov 10, 2006.

1. DathRemar

DathRemar Banned

Need help with blizzsorc.

Hey all. I just completed the game with my blizz sorc and i'm thinking of doing countess runs. But my merc keeps dying when i fight countess, even after i static the whole group of them. My merc uses an eth insight cv, shaft and eth crown of theives. Need help please:smiley:

2. xduckster

xduckster IncGamers Member

The best advice I can give for running th countess is don't. :tongue:

The blizz sorc shines for the following:
    Pindle
    Meph
    Tunnels
    and to a lesser extent Baal running (You need a strong merc to deal with the CI's)

If you want to run the countess do it with a lightning based build. That way the countess is never immune to you.

If you're really dead set on it you can try to put a tal rasha's mask on your merc. The extra resists might help a bit. You can help the merc by spamming telekinesis on the more hurtful monsters to keep them stunned.

3. Tigereye

Tigereye IncGamers Member

You could try leveling up a bit and thereby leveling your merc to, it sometime has a big effect if you are very low level compared to the monsters hitting you/your merc. Some Pindlerun at /players 8 would be nice for getting sme fast levels.

4. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

I wanted to gave the same advice as Tigereye. It helps a lot having high-level merc.
    Also you can try using some wand with useful charges on switch. For example attract/terror/life tap.
    BTW, what kind your merc is?

5. DathRemar

DathRemar Banned

Hmmm, mines a nm act 2 def merc. He's currently lvl 87 and i swapped his helm for andy visage but it still doesn't work :lipsrsealed:

6. NacRuno

NacRuno IncGamers Site Pal

Sorry for the hijacking but i also have a question about my blizzsorc.

I have just started hell difficulty, clvl is 66, merc is same.
    I am using a act5 merc and he is doing something like 400-700 dmg currently.

However i couldn't clear den of evil!! zombies can be killes with my merc to some extent, however he can't kill those cold immune gargantuan beasts.

I static the beast as much as i can, than let the merc hit it, what happens is gargantuan beasts regenerates, doesn't take damage from the merc.

I am hoping it is just because the merc lvl is too low and can't hit. I was thinking of loading some poison charms and enter the combat myself, but my ar won't be enough probably. Just came to my mind, do the trowing poison thingies have any potential to do any good?

Or do i only need to do some NM baal runs to solve my problems? I would rather teleport my way to hell act3 first and after some meph runs turn back to clear the den.

What do you suggest...

7. nebux

nebux IncGamers Member

telekinesys and more NM p8 Pindle runs

8. Tigereye

Tigereye IncGamers Member

Sounds like it should be possible to do this, even though a blizz sorc is not optimal at killing the Countess. How are you doing when you get to lvl 5 in the Tower are you just teleporting directly up the middle to the countess or are you teleporting along the side? Hope you understand what I mean, it is a little hard to write in words.
    I would suggest the latter so you can let your merc run/walk through the door into the middle room where the Countess is, it is possible to get the merc to stand in the doorway so only one or two monsters can attack him, or better a little before the doorway so only one monster can attack him (the monster standing in the doorway). Use teleport to place your merc and remember to give him lots of fire resist so he does not have a problem standing in the Countess' Firewall.
    The merc need's to be able to kill, because the Countess and her minions are all cold immune (if I remeber correctly). If the merc is not killing the minnions fast enough you can try using the Might merc, to increase the damage of your merc or trying a faster weapon or even a bigger damage weapon, if you got one. If the merc is not hitting the monsters you need to geta higher lvl merc, and it takes a lot of time to lvl up at your lvl, but I find Pindleskin at /players 8 to be "fast" and your sorc is like build for some Pindleskin runs. The sorc main skill (blizzard) are completely useless on the Countess and her minions, only static is of any use, this is why a cold sorc is normally not used for Countess running.

Edit:
    So in short:
    Try to place your merc, to avoid many monsters hitting him at the same time.
    Try to change some equipment, get high fire resist if he is standing in the Countess' Firewall, A different weapon and/or helm. I think your Shaftstop is optimal.
    Try to get a higher lvl merc.
    If this fails do something else with your blizz sorc and build a lightning sorc for Countess runs.
    Hope some of my thoughs can help a little bit.

9. NacRuno

i can't seem to understand the mechanics of telekinesis. it seems not to do anything when i use it on a monster %90 of the time. and sometimes it stuns and knockbacks the monster continuesly for a few seconds, and then stops doing anything again.

what am i doing wrong???

10. Flayed One

Flayed One IncGamers Member

you're using it right.
    it's just that knockback has only:

100% chance to work against small enemies(fallen)
    50% chance to work against medium enemies(zombies)
    25% chance to work against large enemies(gargantuan beasts)

11. NacRuno

Well, since understanding the mechanics of telekinesis, it not doing the job time to time doesn't matter much.

I took my sorc through act 1&2 with ease, but act 3 was a head bump to the wall. Those flayers are just more ugly than ever. I can't do any damage to them (cold immune) and they swarn me and my merc within seconds, my big hurty merc doesn't stand a chance aganist them as he can't even swing.

I am trying to rush to act5 pindle portal so that i can gain quick level there at p8 while doing some mf, therefore my lvl is still a bit low (71 atm) but i don't think that's the problem. I could have been 2-3 lvls higher but i dies too many times in act3 :sad2:

I have come to lower kurast waypoint via teleporting but couldn't get neither the gidbinn nor the flayer dungeon thingie. I guess i can somehow manage to get the flayer dungeon thingies with planned teleport but i don't see a chance of me to get gidbinn currently :undecided: It may not be a useful quest to do but i just can't proceed if i don't finish all the acts and find all the waypoints.

Any suggestions?

I looked at arreat submit to see the resistances of flayers to see if lower resist would work but fallens are not listed under act3 bestiary so i don't know as of yet. Anyone tried this before?

Edit: I just found the answer to my question, flayers were under act1 bestiary and they have a cold resist of 100 at hell :rolleyes:, i feel relieved. Now i only need to find something with lower resist charges. My only lower resist item is a rondel and as i am playing base dex with this sorc i can't use it. Is there nice spot for me to buy such charged items?

After i find those charges i will fully clear the whole flayer jungle without leaving a single flayer running around :evil:

12. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn IncGamers Member

Countess running was the exact reason I made a slightly odd (yet wonderfully satisfying) Sorc build - the BlizzWaller. Firewall is a FANTASTIC Countess-minion-killing skill...I just stand in the "anteroom" and decorate the Countess' lair with flames, listening to the cries of her friends as they perish. After about 15-20 seconds of that, I tele in and my merc tanks the Countess while I support with Blizz/Glacial Spike spamming.

I'm all about the passive approach :-D

13. NacRuno

It didn't work :banghead:, tried for a long while to get a wand with lower resist slvl2 charged wand. And i went to flayer jungle as soon as i found one, it didn't work. Don't know why, arreat submit must have the wrong values cause i really don't have any idea why it shouldn't have worked.

:cry: i am back to start now, what am i going to do...

14. MaliusArcus

MaliusArcus IncGamers Member

Just ran my blizz sorc through act 3, 4 and half of 5 (to get to pindle) in under 2 hours... most of that was TRYING to kill in act 3 before giving up and porting across levels. act 4 wasnt toooooo bad... I cleared one corner near where diablo spawns cleared non-CIs... dragged all the casters away... popped big-d and spammed him with blizzards while he tried to lightning hose me... died in a few seconds. act 5... dont bother trying to fight, I skipped the entire thing... I killed one pack of witches so I could open a TP to get the potion to save anya... saved her (had to drag away the yeti things) and started doing pindle runs...

but if you think the den of evil is bad wait until CS and the OKs. they decrep you and run around while you try to kill them... I had to get them to run into corners and TK to keep them there while my merc slowly beat on them.

edit: BTW I skipped izual too... I hate hell on single element sorcs.

edit2: I went back and did izual just now... died once though... gloams, had MF gear on and forgot that put my LR at 7

15. NacRuno

i tried to the the lower resist thing again and you know what, it worked. there are two different monsters named 'Flayer' in the jungle and it seems like they have different stats. the poisoning blowpipe flayers' immunity can't be broken via slvl2 lower resist, however it does the job for the running melee flayers. this was what confused me in the first place. don't know where the difference is stated.

figuring that out i had a little bit more self-confidence and entered flayer jungle. going slowly and patiently i cleared my way to the gidbinn altar and was able to destroy the unique that spawned after activating it with easy thanks to lower resist.

but things didn't go as smootly as that in flayer dungeon :sad2:. i was again using the safe and slow method but those little corridors hide unseen dangers, i got swared with the undead dolls and hit blizzard without being able to back off, i died and somehow my corpse had a bunch of little guards waiting for me and i couldn't retrieve it.

i will use a different approach i guess, load on faster cast rate equipment and teleport my way to the khalim's component. i hope it works this time..

16. NacRuno

Yayy, i did it :jig:

My initial FCR was %30, increasing it to %70 made a great difference (2 breakpoints) for my teleport speed. I was in and out of the flayer dungeon without being noticed :tongue:

And after that i finished act3 & act4 doing full quests. I will go rescue anya tonight and start some leveling with pindle :azn:

17. aidennz

aidennz IncGamers Member

Sounds like you went the hard way with your blizz sorc. I just teleported mine through hell then leveled on pindle and went back for the quests I needed. I barely killed a single enemy in hell with her.

18. nebux

nebux IncGamers Member

this is how you need to do with a Blizz sorc or other sorcs

ITH teleport = dead andy
    ITH teleport = dead Duriel
    ITH teleport = dead Mephisto
    ITH teleport = dead Diablo
    all the rest of questing is done by stealing. kalim eye pop up the chest tele away.
    anya quest talk to her save exit . next talk to her finish quest easy.
    my blizzsorc was at hell pindle at lvl 71, with about 1k mana for teleporting everywhere, after 5 hours from begining. two more hours she was 83 from P8 Pindle runs.