Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

need help - question about socket quest

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by mewizard4321, Jun 7, 2005.

1. mewizard4321

mewizard4321 Diabloii.Net Member

need help - question about socket quest

I found this really cool white 45 resist akaran targe in hell but its a damaged one. (as in it spawned with the mod "damaged akaran targe")

I was wondering if I took this shield to lazurk to socket would it get 4 sockets like it should or would it get 3 because it is damaged?

2. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle Diabloii.Net Member

Because it's low quality, larzuk won't socket it for you, but you can get around that. You have to modify it to be a plain white item:

[font=arial,helvetica][size=-1][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]1 Eld Rune + 1 Chipped Gem + Low Quality Weapon = Normal Quality Weapon of same type with ilvl = 1

Then larzuk can socket it. An akaran Targe with ilvl 1 will get 3 sockets.

[EDIT: [/size][/font][/size][/font][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but on top of only getting 3 sockets[/size][/font][/size][/font][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1], I believe the recipe that makes it normal will also reroll the automods, so you'd lose the 45 resist all. The highest resist would be 10 and the highest ar/ed would be 30/20%. :(]
    [/size][/font][/size][/font]

3. Aerath

Aerath Diabloii.Net Member

And I'm afraid you can't even try to salvage it with the Horadric Cube socketing recipe...

4. Pherdnut

Pherdnut Diabloii.Net Member

What's unsalvageable here? It's a shield useable by 25th level character that can have 102 resists to all with 3 P-Diamonds. It will have the lowest defense possible, but that's only a difference of 25 def.

If you were hoping someone would take it for a runeword, 3 sockets is ideal with the new aura runewords but the real problem is the Akaran Targe's low block, not it's lack of perfect defense.

The only 4 socket pally resist shields worth anything are Eth. They all seem to prefer HoZ over Spirit and that only leaves Exile which repairs durability so all these coal to diamond anal perfectionist types will only take eth ones.

5. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle Diabloii.Net Member

The shield won't keep the 45 resist all when it's turned into a normal item. It will have it's auto mod be either 5-10% res all or 15-30ar and 10%-20% damage. Therefore, it's nothing special anymore.

Also, the defense will be randomized (101-125). For lvl 26-30, the akaran targe is the best pally shield. A Low Level dueler would love a 4os akaran targe with 45 resists (for spirit or to take max damage jewels). Also, until HoZ at level 42, a spirit in this shield would be pretty hot. At higher levels it doesn't have the defense/blocking to compete, but at low levels it'd be pretty nice.

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Although I never tried it with cracked items, I'm quite sure that Larzuk will socket anything socketable which doesn't have sockets yet. Do you perhaps mean the cube recipe which adds a random number of sockets to nonmagical items ? That one will indeed not socket cracked or superior items.

7. Stevebo

Stevebo Banned

Add-on to this thread - can lazaruk put more than one socket into an item at a time?
    The first 5 times i tried him he only put one socket in to my items and since i haven't bothered - have i been missing out here?
    How many can he add and whats the general rule on how many you will get?

8. krischan

Larzuk doesn't put sockets into anything which already has sockets.
    He puts the maximum number of sockets into nonmagical items (see here) *
    He puts 1-2 sockets into magical items
    He puts one socket into everything else
    He doesn't care about etherealness

*: This is 1.09 information, but apart from the maximum number of sockets for diadems, it's accurate.

9. Day

Day Diabloii.Net Member

From the Arreat Summit ( I think its accurate in this case) :uhhuh:

Act V: Quest 1: Add Sockets
    You cannot use the Add Socket Quest reward on Socketed Items.

You can only add Sockets to items that allow Sockets.

Normal items add the max number of Sockets depending on the item's level (this is determined by the level of the monster that dropped it) and the inherent maximum number of Sockets for the item's base type. So you may not always receive the "max" number of Sockets.

Magic Items will receive 1 or 2 Sockets with probability of either assuming that they are possible given the rules for normal. So you'll either get 1 Socket or 2.

Set Items, Rare Items, Unique Items, and Crafted Items add 1 Socket (1 Socket Max).

You cannot continue to add more Sockets with multiple "Add Sockets" rewards.

10. krischan

... AFAIK !!!

11. Stevebo

Stevebo Banned

Rather than start a new thread, and since this thread is about 4-Socket shields...
    I am trying to find a 4-socket white shield for my Necro, does anyone know off-hand the easiest shield for this? and suggestions on where to look if possible
    (I did look at the link but do not know which shields on the list are paladin only).
    Thanks

12. hulla-hop

hulla-hop Diabloii.Net Member

no necroheads can spawn with 4 os afaik. so youre left with all the non-pally shields, and the best is a monarch then....156 str req tho :eek:

13. Stevebo

Stevebo Banned

Just to clarify, assuming i dont care about defence or blocking etc as i just want to put the "Spirit" runeword into it, is Monarch still the lowest strength requirement Non-Pally shield which can have four sockets?
    As far as defence and blocking go I'd settle for a small piece of damp paper as long as my necro could use it and it had 4 sockets.

*fingers crossed theres something out there*

14. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 Diabloii.Net Member

Unfortunately, yes.

15. Stevebo

Stevebo Banned

Damn! Back to the drawing board. :(

Thankyou for letting me know before i spent a long time looking for something that does not exist!

16. Aerath

Aerath Diabloii.Net Member

You're better off looking for a nice Necro head - either imbue one with Charsi, or try to find a two socket one and making a Rhyme out of it.

Decent block and Res on it then, and CBF + some nice skills.

Spirit it ain't, but it's a decent substitute (not quite a Homunculus or Trang Wing... but still decent =)