Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

need help: pvp trapper skilling

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by stoutewolf, Nov 11, 2006.

1. stoutewolf

stoutewolf Diabloii.Net Member

need help: pvp trapper skilling

erm yea...

pretty much had the idea to make a trapper for pvp/team vs teamplay.

the build ill be using is one using 65fcr(magefist circlet arach)/8dr(enigma)/dualclaw one. will have fastest trapspeed while using fade as well.

anyway, about the build itself..
    outside of the obvious max light sentry+synergies, one point shadowmaster, im kind of wondering. currently kinda undecided on what route to go.

pretty much have 17 skills to spend, my shadowskill tree looks something like one point in everything except venom atm^^. kinda have the feeling i have to choose between mindblast(little damage+heard chance shadowmaster casts it is higher if more points into it), clawblock(block) and fade(for dr).

so errr, yea. kinda have no idea what to do^^ could use advice here

oh another thing: fhr. one guy told me a proper assa only stuns others, thus doesnt need fhr himself, but another adviced me to use 48(or 42?)fhr breakpoint. would like to hear opinions about this as well.

thanks in advance, Rogier

2. lendial

lendial Diabloii.Net Member

higher levels in mb will increase duration of the "Swirly" and at extremely high levels it will actualy do "some" damage. just enough to make people come on the offensive.

Id get claw block to that nice number 58ish?dont remember,

as for fade, id personaly rather prebuff with +3shadow +3fade claws instead of spending points into it, youll likely want it high because your build will need alot of fade based dr. looks like youll need 42 to reach 50 dr, 42-12(prebuff claw) = 30- (~9+skills) so in the end youll likely be spending 20ish points into fade.

3. Bladewind

Bladewind Diabloii.Net Member

Yup higher levels of MB will stun them longer. Some say one point is enough but i have seen some really hardcore ones max it. It's your call really.

4. Dennis_KoreanGuy

Dennis_KoreanGuy Diabloii.Net Member

I just put pts in Fire on mine, for fun/sorbers. Honestly, that is a better choice than MB at the least. Few higher lvls of MB don't do anything.

Obviously you need FHR on your sin. Everyone does.

5. CdMagicFind

CdMagicFind Diabloii.Net Member

I think MB sort of tops off around LV42. At that level stun is already at the max 10 seconds. Points into it after that aren't as useful but are imo better than points into SM as far as I know. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also, you usually won't get to around 42 slvl on the MB since you won't have many Shadow GC's.

...4 (Anni/Torch)
    + 2 (Shako/Circlet)
    + 2 (Mara's/Rare Ammy)
    + 2 (Enigma)
    + 2 (SoJ's and/or BK's)
    + 1 (Arachs)

= +13 Skills. Seven more is possible from dual claws but weapon switch FCR MB spam is better if you can manage it.

The only none-mentioned other possible source for skills is Shadow Dancers which can give +2 if I remember right. Not sure whether Shadow Dancers are worth it though.

A +3 Trap/+3 LS/+3 MB/+3 whatever ideal claw with Shadow Dancers would give 41 MB on that switch but it still isn't as good as a HotO/Spirit or Wiz/Spirit MB.

Rest into SM after that I guess.

Fire isn't good enough for a pure trapper to deal enough damage to kill in PvP. WoF works nicely on a WW Sin but is rather useless if it just delays them because they have absorb to lightning and you're trying to slow them down, since MB won't usually kill them.

6. stoutewolf

i get +18shadowskills total
    (..4 (Anni/Torch)
    + 2 (Circlet)
    + 2 (craft Ammy)
    + 2 (Enigma)
    + 2 (SoJ's and/or BK's)
    + 1 (Arachs)
    + 4 (2x 2skill claw)
    +1 battlecommand

means ill be having level 19 base fade, making 27dr total combined with enigma, or 35%with a ber circlet(not sure if thats a viable option though)

and lvl 20 base mindblast as i have one skill on claw. not using any shadowskill gcs though

as this build is also for team vs team, wouldnt the lack of high dr kill me?(vs bowas with conc, barbies with dual axe for example)

7. HappyAssassin

HappyAssassin Diabloii.Net Member

You probobly need IAS in your circlet if you want max speed trap laying, so no Ber. I think that level 26 (60%) Weapon Block is a very useful investment, really adds to survivabiltiy. That'll cost you 7 skill points (if you use 2/3/2s, its not worth it to use it with 3/3/2s), or potentially even less if you get a Weapon Block staff mod with your Asn skills and +3 LS (super rare).

After that I'd skill MB. A low level shadow master with high level MB is a better asset than a tough master. It's not like they generally survive more than 1 hit anyway. If this is a team dueler, Fire Blast is a complete waste, use it to stun a little bit more if you get the chance (telefireblast actually does work if its a suprise).

Last option is to put the 7 in WB, then 1 extra point in MB (a 2 point MB will be used by the shadow much more often than a 1 point MB), then the rest in Fade for 9 extra DR. In this case the DR will still be pretty low in the circlet setup.

A CoA trapper can be quite good with 65 FCR, using a FCR ring and a FCR ammy, you can get nice DR. Enigma + 1 Ber in the CoA + 17ish fade gives around 48% DR, not to mention easy access to the 86 FHR BP (30 CoA, 30 Boots, 27 from charms). If you add your last points to Fade you can forgo the Ber and use a 15/-15 jewel and a 15/15 in the CoA, giving big resist stack, the IAS you need and saving some STR. Just something to think about. You will get LESS overall trap damage and probobly a bit less life.

8. MortIIs

MortIIs Diabloii.Net Member

Either have a point shadow master/warrior or have it on precast. It's handy vs Bowzon. Vs barb it will be difficult and you'll have to rely on mb

9. stoutewolf

skilled it for nearly vs anything. minionstack will at least secure me not getting one hit^^

happyassasin, i have 40ias base GT, with one ias jewel it reaches last breakpoint i thought. its also kind of hard for me to lay off the idea of playing with 65fcr(or 2 fcr rings instead of 2 sojs/bks).

can anyone exactly explain how the shadowmaster picks the skills it uses? its based on the level skills you have i believe, but im sure theres some kind of formula for it^^

10. HappyAssassin

HappyAssassin Diabloii.Net Member

If it's 40IAS base, you're set for IAS. A CoA setup doesn't give up much to be able to have 65 FCR as long as you have a 15+ FCR amulet. One FCR ring isn't a huge loss in damage after all, you lose 2 total skill points vs. a circlet/2 soj setup and get FHR, DR and whatever mods are on your ring. It takes a very well modded circlet to be better than CoA (2/20/stat/2 soc for example owns a CoA). What's your budget?

11. stoutewolf

it actually is a 2/20/2sock/27life circlet or 2/20/30run/47life 1socket ><

might be wrong but i believe i read 42ias for fastest trapspeed