Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

need help playing d2 on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by smilts, Jul 2, 2010.

1. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

need help playing d2 on Windows 7

I just installed windows 7 as my computer needed a clean install and had vista. I then installed D2 but when I do the video test I get "this computer cannot play DiabloII", below that it says could not find any video settings. So I go and DL directx9.0 it asked me where I want to unzip files since I didnt know I made a folder under documents unzipped them into there then used the install included. After it said componants ready to use I redid the test with the same results. So I'm lost and didnt have a clue where else to ask.

2. Ladvarian

Ladvarian IncGamers Member

Re: need help playing d2 on Windows 7

Try updating your drivers for your video card. Windows 7 might not be able to detect all the features that your video card has available. Try the vista drivers if there are no windows 7 drivers. I've had a few times where windows did not identify my video card and instead used a generic driver in previous windows versions.

If you have the latest drivers try updating diablo 2 after installing it to say 1.13 and see if it helps support for windows 7. Also try updating with all patches you can to windows 7. If you have done all that try replying with your hardware setup and I'll see if I can help identify your problem.

3. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

wow theres thirty two updates for windows 7 im Dowloading rite now one is i believe a video driver, so fingers crossed. I cant update to 1.13 I cant open the game at all i get critical error 22. thank you for your advice thus far ill update windows then get back with you on it.

EDIT: oops honestly thought I had all the updates installed untill I saw those this morning seems to be fine now.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  4. Ladvarian

Ladvarian IncGamers Member

So by 'seems to be fine now' you are not experiencing the critical error 22? Or are you still waiting for you computer to update and restart a few times. Be sure to restart and try windows update a few times til it says that you have no more updates after you have restarted from installing the last updates. Your computer will need to be restarted a few times for certain updates.

You can always try to manually update to 1.13, but it is your call if you want to wait til it is running to try it. If everything is running then please reply that it is, if not then I'll wait til you post what is your new error after installing the updates.