Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need help on new build

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by motormaniac5, Mar 3, 2004.

1. motormaniac5

motormaniac5 IncGamers Member

Need help on new build

HELP all you sorceress experts, i have been gone for more than 90 days, and as such, i have no stuff left and would like to make a sorceress for normal difficulty MFing of meph. I plan on taking this sorc to level 30, but not much higher... since i haven't been in the game since before 1.10, i need some help with this build.

Necessary skills:
    teleport
    only '1', and i mean ONLY 1 magic type (ice, lightning, and fire)
    the main attack must be versatile enough that i can aim it (ie NOT firewall or meteor type attacks)

other info:
    i will be using this character for normal meph MF runs til i can supply equipment to a nightmare diff meph runner.

i am thinking of maxing nova as my attack skill... if you can possibly work that into the build.

The only thing i need is a breakdown of what skills i need, and no need to include prerequisites, just the main skills and how many points in each

2. mathil

mathil IncGamers Member

according to your plan:
    lvl 30 through normal is 33 skill points. meteor, firewall, blizzard and other skills like them can be aimed, but its harder. so don't totally discount aiming them.

with 33 skill points, you can do orb, fireball, or lightning. with such a low lvl, you are talking about only having one attack spell. each of those skills provides a spring board to a final build if you ever want to finish the char. nova is horrible in nm/hell, so it doesn't have the same spring board.

skill point distribution: max selected skill, 1 in warmth and teleport, rest in skills mastery (should be 6-10 depending on skill and prereqs)

a new plan:
    the way most ppl start their D2 career is by making a char to do NM meph runs because the transition to nm isn't hard. the transition to hell is, well, hell.

a lvl 70-80 sorc (easy to get, leach in nm baal runs) can easily take down nm meph if the skill point placement is not completely butchered.

if you do this, the fastest meph killer is the blizzard sorc. other sorcs will do fine for nm, but taking them to hell meph is another story in most cases.

3. motormaniac5

thanks, so in other words:

1 warmth
    1 teleport
    as high as possible in blizzard and cold mastery

and 1 in each prerequisite... am i right?

4. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

Erm, level 30 sorc, *grins*

Masteries are a level 30 skill, so you'll only be able to put in 1 point.
    Orb is a level 30 skill, so you'll only be able to put in 1 point.
    Blizzard is a level 24 skill, so you'll only be able to put in 6 points.

Although Blizzard has synergies from lowel level skills, you won't see much difference damagewise since synergies work on the base skill damage. With a low level Blizzard the %increase is also low.

Nova or other lightning spells are horrible to use for a non-tweaked low-level sorc. They use a lot of mana and rely for damage quite a bit on FCR, and you won't have both on a non-tweaked sorc.

The rest of the spells I won't even consider since they either have no power or lack the skill points or synergies at this low level. My advise to you is to leave Normal Meph where he is, level to 45-50 on Normal Baalruns, start in Nightmare until you're at Nightmare Meph and run him. Then when you have aquired some nice items, advance to Nightmare Baalruns and level to 70 (you can do this before Nightmare Meph runs too). Then advance to Hell Meph who isn't that hard anyway (see moat trick) and run him for some really good items. Hell Meph can be run easilly by a level 70 sorc with some FCR (63%) for the teleporting part. Blizzard or Meteor is nice for Meph since you can apply the Moat Trick on him with these spells. I would personally go for Blizzard for Meph runs.

5. motormaniac5

i think you are underestimating how hard it is to level up without good gear or rushing, while trying to make a sorceress with a FO/Meteor up to 30+ exp REALLY starts slowing down at 14, when i no longer get exp in act1 normal, and can't solo in act2 due to saving skill points for higher level skills, plus not being able to leach from people since i can't get into a tp without getting the stupid amulet that i can't solo to... so i really need to make a sorceress to level 30 with low level spells as my main attack in order to just barely be able to take out meph to get good gear to make an MF barbarian... which is the ultimate goal. You may want to try to make a character w/o any help from any of your characters, just relying on the occasional person to come by and kill some stuff for you while you want to get to the point where you can leach from baal runs... I am serious on this point, the game is much harder IMHO in 1.10 than it was for me in 1.09... in 1.09 i could spend 40 chippies and get rushed to nightmare, then do cow runs til i was level 35 then do the 40 chippies again and do nm cows, then 80 chippies and do hell cows... at that point i would have a decent MFer... but not anymore, can't rush anymore due to no maphack usage and can't use others tp's in act2 without the amulet, which really sucks for me... ok /rant off... just don't like it when someone tells me to level up to 70 when i have already tried that

6. mathil

mathil IncGamers Member

sorry about the lvl 30 skills bit, for some reason i was thinking of lvl 40.

lvl 70 isn't too hard. if you don't have tweaked gear, do it with other ppl. it isn't hard. you seem to be stuck on the idea that you have to do this solo. and with no skill point investment. both of those are wrong. you can join games with other ppl. and you can invest your early points. most sorc skills haves synergies, so after lvl 12, just drop the points into the synergy and use that.

7. motormaniac5

of course i can do this in a group, my point is for some reason when i get to act2, it seems i can't ever find a group that hasn't already done the amulet, so i can't do arcane runs during act2 to level up... since it seems in the 1.10 patch i can't use the act2 town portals unless i have the amulet... that is what i was saying

8. mathil

mathil IncGamers Member

ya, getting through the acts now is a pain, but its not that hard.

9. Nirlem

Nirlem IncGamers Member

Just use an act2 merc he will take you through act2 with a small backup from you. (frostnova)
    thats the easy way to get to lvl 20 in act2. then just solo the claw viper temple with the merc, and join any games doing act2!

10. Stiertje

Ah, how it sucks to not be able to use maphack. Bummer, what inconvenience ............ LOL

A clan-member reached level 80 with his sorc in 1 day. True, it was a whole day of fulltime play, but he did it. I got my first sorc on level 70+ in 2 days, and I only went along with parties. The only gear I had were a 3 socket PSapphire helm, a 3 socket PSapphire armour, a Razorswitch found at Diablo's and some crappy rings and stuff. They brought me all the way to NM Baal. I wasn't rushed. Just invest some time in it and you'll get there.

For act2, just type in the name "act2 start" or "act2 starting" and you're bound to find a good game. Or have a little patience and just wait the 2 minutes it takes for people to join a game you made yourself. Just make a game with act2 and start in the name and people will join. It's not THAT time consuming, and in the long runs you gain time.

Ah, and BTW, you still need the act2 finished to do Meph so what's the whole point actually?

11. motormaniac5

thank you nirlem, you have actually helped me, instead of flaming me like stiertje does, in which he tells me to do something but gives me no clue on how to do it, with that method i MIGHT be able to get a character up to 30 without wasting skill points on low level spells.

12. Stiertje

Ok, i didn't mean to be this inflamatory, but you started about MapHack and I just reacted a little harsh on that.

But I did give you some tips on getting into a game for Act2, or advise you to start one yourself to get some help. There are more people like you who have trouble with Act2, since it generaly is the hardest act for some characters. Ok, maybe I forgot to mention the Mercenary, but truly, haven't you ever used a merc before? Get yourself an Act2 Combat Merc and he won't even need much potions. Act2 Combat has Prayer and heals himself over time. This is far better then others because all you really need is a somewhat sturdy merc who can hold his ground without life-leech.

And you didn't even start with these questions about act2. You didn't even ask them actually. You just complained about not getting rushed and not being able to use MapHack. We can't be mindreaders to get the exact problem from you when you don't ask it. If you had told us that you were having problems with act2 in the first place we could have helped you better.

13. pedro11

pedro11 IncGamers Member

If you are having problems joining games where the manditory quests has already been completed you should try creating the games yourself with a name like "Act Two Ammy" or "Act2 Quest3" like Stiertje suggested, you will rarely have a problem with lack people joining to quest or help you.