Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need help on essay...you can do this...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Yavanna, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Yavanna

Yavanna IncGamers Member

Need help on essay...you can do this...

In a moment of greater-than-usual insanity, I offered to write an essay about how sex sells in the media, using the Janet Jackson fiasco as an example. Can anybody help me find sources to start with? Not just about the boobie (God knows there's enough of that), but about how the media frenzy about it was overblown. REPUTABLE sources, please.

2. toader

toader Banned

You want media sources saying that the media was overblown?

heh, I dont think they will give themselves bad media, but Ill do some checking around for you and see if I can find anything.

3. Pidder

Pidder IncGamers Member

Go to a store. Find the tabloid stand. Buy everything.

4. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

You could also incorporate that show with that rich dude and the team of guys and the team girls... and the girls keep winning because they're all slutty and stuff. "We'll dance for you if you lower the price of this gold bar!" Pathetic.

5. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

Smelly is right. That show is called "The Apprentice". There are quite many articles on msn.com stating why the girls keep winning. I believe the is a short clip of the today show where Katie Couric asked one of the fired contestants about that.

6. Yavanna

Yavanna IncGamers Member

I have previously had too much self-respect to watch that show, but if you think it will help, I'll try it...I'll check out the articles you mentioned too.

7. logic_bomb

logic_bomb IncGamers Member

Or take the whole Britny Spears kissing madonna thing. God knows that was done to try and generate interest in her new album.

8. Pidder

Pidder IncGamers Member

If we're talking about recent events don't forget the 5 minute Paris Hilton sex video released just before her show "The Simple Life" started.

9. faultless wonderboy

faultless wonderboy IncGamers Member

You might see if your school library has access to scholarly databases. I really like Jstor. It has the full text of articles published in journals from economics to anthropology to history to social studies...all the good stuff. Your school might have access to them, otherwise you have to pay for it.

10. Pierrot le Fou

Pierrot le Fou IncGamers Member

If it's just an essay (not a research paper), I'd look into getting ads off kazaa, specifically beer ads (I'm sure folks can recommend some to you), as well as ads for all sorts of products (AX deodorant spray or whatever the Hell it is when I was in the states was one), and point out exactly how little it has to do with the product.

I mean, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if a shampoo company pays MILLIONS to an ad company to produce a woman faking orgasms, then it must be an effective sales tactic.

If you really want to talk about sex SELLING, then that's where you should be looking. Things like Paris Hilton, Janet Jackson, nobody can PROVE that they intentionally released whatever it is they did at the time they did no matter how fishy it looks, but ad agencies create and get these ads approved on a regular basis for BIG sums of money. Hell, you can even just do it with superbowl ads, I'm sure you'll get some help with that.

I think that research is a little unecessary for a product on a social trend that's currently going on, since if you can present evidence that's just that obvious, then there's no need to find a reputable source saying the same thing. The best way to prove an easy point is to demonstrate why the point is so self-evident by having the point prove itself to the reader without the need to dress it up in academics who likely haven't gotten laid in half a century.

After all, if you make a living writing papers on sex in the media, enough so to be considered a scholar in the area, chances are that you're not getting that much at home.

This is just my opinion. I don't know what your essay is for, but it sounds rather informal, and as if it could be handled far better by a powerpoint presentation and some sales figures for products and ad campaigns (you should be able to find that on the net). My suggestion would be to pick a company (a beer company would be good, but whatever works), and compare the success of ad campaigns that did and did not take advantage of sex in order to sell their product. I think a great example would be the difference between the Coors ads featuring Sports stars (John Elway and whatnot) the other year vs. their previous "Guy's night out" ads featuring guys getting frisky with the chickies.

Sex appeal sells. Doesn't take a scholar to prove.

11. gismo

gismo IncGamers Member

Do a search for the recent beyonce(sp) show from the NBA allstars game.
    Look up the Micheal Jackson crotch grabbing at the superbowl(I think it was the superbowl years ago).
    Colline(sp) and all the other sexcapes from the show survivor. Hell Real World also.
    Madonna's sex book years ago(and pretty much her whole career).

12. Yavanna

Yavanna IncGamers Member

Perhaps I was somewhat misleading in the opening post, but the essay is not only about how sex sells, but also why the media makes so much fuss over things like an exposed boob. In short form, how sex sells copy and ad space. Janet Jackson is good, Madonna and Britney may be good, I don't think The Apprentice is good.

13. kittenslayer

kittenslayer IncGamers Member

lingerie bowl

from : http://www.business2.com/b2/web/dumbest/1/0,19257,,00.html

14. CaptJoe213

CaptJoe213 IncGamers Member

Fox Broadcasting, they pretty much are an essay of sex sells all by itself...geez that station seems to have nothing but sex selling style showing going on....Paradise Hotel, Temptation Island...the list goes on