Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need help making first zealot

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Jackson, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

Need help making first zealot

Hi guys, I've decided instead of making a skelemancer, I'm going to make a melee paladin :clap:

It's going to be mostly PvM, but can be used also as a semi-effective PvPer because the gear is pretty much similar.

Here's what i was thinking in terms of skills. I've just read Cyrus' guide for Zealots, so I have a pretty good idea of it. Just comment if necessary:

20 Zeal (main attack)
    20 Sacrifice (synergy)
    20 Fanaticism (main aura)
    How much Holy Shield?
    As for the passive resists from the 3 resist auras, I don't think I'll be needing it, but I'll check after all the gear setup and Anya quests and charms.

*Any other skills that I missed out? Can a zealot also be a decent Charger?*
    *Should I also have Vengence in case of Physical Immunes?

For stats, I know what I'm doing; it's pretty standard.

EQUIPMENT:

-HELM

Perfect leech and DR 1.09 Gaze with a CHAM inside it.

-AMULET

Rare amulet: +2 Paladin skills, +about 17 to strength and dex, and about 10% resist all, and I think it's 30%ish lightning resist

*What about Highlord's Wrath? Which of the two amulets is better?

-ARMOR

Chains of Honor Runeword in a Superior Dusk Shroud. I believe it's around 800 defense. Pretty good armor for +2 skills, leech, +20 strength, damage mods, DR, and resists.

*Any arguements here?

-WEAPON

Ethereal BoTD Bezerker Axe
    *The reason in me not choosing Doom is because Exile has *freeze targets* already

*Are there any other decent weapon choices?*

-SHIELD

Ethereal Exile Shield: Which do you guys think I need? Resists, or ED/AR? Also, which shield is considered to be better than others?

-RINGS

Should I go with 2 Bul Katho Rings (perfect leech), or should I use two crafted rings that have 10% Life leech+str+life+little AR and resists?

-GLOVES

I have a pair of rare glves: 20% IAS, 3% Life leech, +10 dex, +about 30% to cold and fire resists
    *Any other better choices for gloves? Is the additional IAS on these gloves needed?
    *Should I go with 7LL/4ML Souldrainer gloves instead?

-BOOTS

Not sure if I should go with War Travs or Gore riders.

-BELT

Verdungos here. But if I can't get a decent one, I'll use my perfect String of ears

-SECONDARY WEAPON

Lidless shield and Call to Arms runeword for the warcries. Also will have a Unique Winged Axe incase of Physical immunes, and/or Iron Maiden.

-CHARMS

Are plain +combat skill Grand charms better, or 3 max damage w/ AR small charms better? Which gives more in terms of AR/damage?

I'll also have an Annihilus Small charm, a Horadric Cube in my stash

*Any comments, or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

2. Apologetix

Apologetix IncGamers Member

ammy: high lords
    gloves: draculs
    boots: i say goreriders

and i also say go with th max/ar/life charms

3. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

I would fill up one of your ring slots with a ravenfrost for the CBF mod and the +AR. I say this because i firmly believe that tal's mask is a better helm for a zealot than a vamp gaze. You may be laughing but high life+maxed block+decent/high defense should keep you alive through 99% of monster encounters unless you have a fetish for facing amp+damage aura minotaurs. If you really want to go with the cham'ed gaze then get resists on your exile shield because the CoH armor alone won't get you to max res in hell even with the resist quests. Highlords is the #1 undisputed choice for a zealot pally whether pvm or pvp because the damage increase from deadly strike is just too sweet (unless you are using death cleaver for its massive DS%).

In the charms department, i would say that you should concentrate more on resistance and life/damage charms (damage charms should be in the form of small charms). A pally toting a BoTD zerker along with maxed out zeal synergies and highlords should NOT need extra damage or AR from things such as combat skill charms, even in pvp. Using a resistance/life charm setup will allow you to use dracul's instead of souldrainers/rare gloves because dracul's has no resistances on it. Also leech is dead in pvp so about the only worthwhile pvp mod on any of these glove choices is the dracul's life tap. I'll also agree on goreriders for boots because the trip threat of open wounds+crushing blow+deadly strike is awesome. Since i'm not a math nut in d2 i won't calculate the damage boost but it will definetely be more than the +15-25 in war travs.

4. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

Anybody know if this build will have any serious AR problems?

5. Takis

Takis IncGamers Member

With that type of build you should get about 4500 AR which is not bad. Be sure and get a Raven Frost on one ring slots like Omikron8 said.
    I wouldn't worry too much about Combat Charms, but I would invest on some Life with a second mod to add to your resistances.

By the way, I have a level 99 Zealot exactly like you described. I used Cyrus 1.10 guide. Check it out it's pretty good.

Takis (El_Greco)

6. Pravda

Pravda IncGamers Member

If u need more ar, use angelic rings and ammy.

7. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

How come ravenfrost? Will I be fine without it? Because my gaze already has a CHAM in it =S

8. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Tal's Mask + ravenfrost > cham'ed gaze + BK ring simply because max block and decent defense/life should keep you alive through almost any physical encounter as long as your leech is sufficient which tal's mask also has more of.

9. Halbreed7250

Halbreed7250 IncGamers Member

I disagree, for the moment anyways, could you please list the exact amount of leech with both setups? i dont' know the leech amounts on 2xbk+gaze, but i can't see how tal's mask+raven would be better especially since he already has CBF with the cham, and do either setup affect block/life better? 2xbd adds life as well, hehe just sway my opinion here is all i'm looking for, not flaming.

10. Kastlefeer

Kastlefeer IncGamers Member

I kinda built my zealot weird...

20sacrafice
    5zeal
    20fanaticism
    20defiance
    20holyshield
    rest into smite

I don't think ar is a big problem in pvm and with nice cheap items like nord's and angelic etc you shouldn't worry. If you want to go pvp well then ar is a much greater concern you might want to max zeal. However don't discount the def in my build for pvm :) With a defiance merc I'm topping 28k def... In pvp there's lot's of itd attacks sadly ... :scratch:

11. Halbreed7250

Halbreed7250 IncGamers Member

i just looked up the items and with 2 bul rings and vamp gaze the life leech is better than 1 bk and tal's mask, he already has CBF with cham in his helm, so i am further along on my path of not understanding what you are saying, please clear this up for me :)

12. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

This is more for PvM purposes. I just said it *can* be used for PvP because of similar gear/skill setup.

Anyways, thanks to everyone who replied.

13. slam

slam IncGamers Member

what is max resistances now? is it 95%? i'm thinking of using guardian angel instead of chains and with 10 in each of the resist skills, this would give me 95% but i want to make sure it is possible first

14. Dracoy

Dracoy IncGamers Member

10 in each skill gives 5 to max resist.

15. amishamigo

amishamigo IncGamers Member

And GA gives 15

75+15+5=95 o.-

16. slam

slam IncGamers Member

you guys misunderstood my question, i am asking if the resistance cap is 95% or if it is higher or lower.

17. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

You could go with beast, and then use concentration as your aura........a bit slower attack speed, but more damage...