Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need help for normal sp

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by tosuncuk, May 1, 2017.

1. tosuncuk

tosuncuk Diabloii.Net Member

Hello guys you will laugh at me i know but im a newbie players at diablo 2(17 years after releasing time -_-) I liked the game very much im currently on act 4 playing paladin dont have cool stuffs only 1 and it is a unique has 100 defence got from Duriel

I only use points for zeal i think its too useful i ve finished first two quests and the last quest is diablo and im having trouble with killing seal monsters what should i do my character level is 22

2. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

I take it that you have been playing on players 1 (that is, you haven't changed the players setting in any way), in which case that would explain your low level, which is probably why. If you type '/players1', and replace 1 with up to 8, you can change the player settings to give you hard foes but more experience and drops. Then you can go back and level up your character a bit, possibly upgrading gear at the same time.

What weapon are you using?

DiabloTwoinDC likes this.
  3. tosuncuk

A mace with 3 sockets i used 2 %60 attack rating rune and a poison damage rune on it

4. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Are you using an aura? Which one?

5. tosuncuk

defiance if im not wrong it is level 6 if i use offensive one i just get "one shot" i ve never died in game but they give me a lot of damage if i dont use it

6. pharphis

Have you used the quest reward in A1 yet (quest 1) to respec? (reset stats and skills)

If not, I would consider doing so if you like some suggestions that some of us provide. Defiance isn't very useful late-game (or even early-game) because defense doesn't change how much dmg you take. It only decreases the chance of being hit from most melee and some ranged attacks (not spells).

There are a couple of builds you could go for, but if it's not possible to respec still it would be worth instead working on something else for now and leveling up.

I'd recommend holy freeze because even just 1 pt will slow enemies down enough that they will hit you way less often. lvl 24 is a good goal because at 24 you can learn holy shield, which you will want to put many points in. This will be 20x more effective than defiance aura when it comes to protecting you, as well as being passive so you can still have another aura on!

Kitteh likes this.
  7. tosuncuk

Wow dude thanks i will try it and this player thing

And how can i kill diablo i watched a few videos and they just get truly one shot with that lightning attack

8. pharphis

Some general advice:

1) the higher level you are the better chance you have to hit and to not be hit. You can observe this chance (not 100% accurate) by putting the mouse over your defense/attack rating stats. You want to be at least level 25 for the area you're in, but you could easily go higher. Trying typing in "/players 8" and going through Act 3 with your new merc to see how it goes. Lower it a bit if needed but if you can't handle normal mobs I would suggest upgrading your weapon (more physical dmg, less focus on poison and other types). Be sure to set it back to "/players 1" before you enter a hard area.
    2) Defense isn't a very useful stat. Resistance and life are the the most important stats for any character. For melee characters, you want to focus on block/attack rating as well but most importantly damage!
    3) A lot of unique items will seem special but many of them are actually not very good. Don't be fooled!
    4) put most of your stat points in VIT. Balance the rest between str and dex as needed for gear and a bit extra dex for the block chance on paladin.
    5) If you don't have one, hire a mercenary! Act 2 is typically the best and you can even get a defiance merc in A2 (these mercs have auras). Someone else will chime in hopefully to remind me which mercs give which auras. I think 'offensive' is what you want.
    6) Gear your merc for high dmg and resistance. Make sure to keep their level up to yours. They will be fragile ins ome areas (liek chaos sanctuary) but together you will be much stronger.
    7) pickup and sell +skill items like wands, necro heads, druid pelts, barb helms, staves and orbs because these sell for lots of gold quite easily. You can use this gold to gamble better gear (circlets at your lvl)

Kitteh likes this.
  9. tosuncuk

Thank you dude im having problems in stash spaces and inventory spaces i have not much space how can i get more space or can i get page 2 in stash?

10. pharphis

Only 1 stash tab unfortunately, so you'll want to use gomule!

Check the stickies/FAQ for a download of gomule. It allows you to have stash files which will let you mule items between your character and your stash between games (don't do it during a game or you will override your stuff). Just be sure to hit the save button when you're done.

You can organize your items by type, and keep as much as you want. This lets you easily pass stuff onto other characters, if you decide to make another one. Warning: Hell difficulty will be very hard for melee characters when you first get there. You might want to work on two characters and switch between them when you get bored/need to find items

Be sure to keep your jewels for crafting later one, as well as at least a few of each gem (you'll probably want to keep/cube all of them, for now) and many of each rune except maybe el/eld since they're mostly useless.

11. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

If you are a complete newbie to the game, my advice is not to ask for too many advice until you are through with all of normal mode. That would spoil the fun of doing all the things for the first time ;)

Level 22 is a bit low for fighting Diablo himself. The monsters at the end of act 4 and beyond have a much higher level than your character which reduces the amount of experience gained. I suggest to run around in the early parts of act 4 until you are level 25. At that point, the penalties for being in higher-level areas is much less severe.

Before putting more than let's say 4 skill point into zeal (which will give you the maximum number of attacks), invest a bit into fanaticism and holy shield. Before maximizing zeal, I suggest to invest into its synergy skill, sacrifice, as it adds more damage than further zeal investments. If you already spent more than that into zeal, it's not dramatic, you will do that later on anyway.

Regarding stats, put enough into strength for meeting the requirements of your gear, enough into dexterity for 75% blocking (cast holy shield before, as it improves your blocking chance), nothing into energy and all the rest into vitality. In case you play with the expansion, take care that the blocking amount shown on the shield is base blocking which is modified by character level and dexterity. The true blocking chance is shown by moving the mouse pointer over the defense rating in the character screen. Also have let's say 20 unspent points, in case you find better items with higher requirements.

A paladin has a bit trouble at getting good gear on his own in the higher difficulty ratings, in particular in hell mode. Before entering hell mode with him, I would start a sorceress, using blizzard as her main attack. She can kill very well without fancy gear while wearing lots of items with bonuses to the chance to find magic items and she can teleport which speeds up the process of getting to rewarding targets for decent loot.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  12. djmbbandie

djmbbandie Diabloii.Net Member

I second pharphis in Holy Freeze (offensive aura) to pair up with Zeal. At level 22 you'll probably want to go back and do some re-running if you use the players command. You will see a marked difference in item drops with it. If you have some extra gold around, I would also suggest gambling as you will need a better weapon against D. How are your resists? Remember that paladins have exclusive shields that have + all resist. Put some upgraded diamonds in them, and you shouldn't have to use defiance that much. If you want the defensive aura around, you can hire an act 2 merc that is defensive and he will have the aura. As for getting cool stuff, I suggest doing a search on this forum for jiansons guide to low level magic finding. You will quickly find that topazes are your friend. Good Luck and congratulations on not getting lost in the Jungle! (My first playthrough ever was a paladin that got lost in the jungle.....)

Also, welcome to the forum, and drop by the bar for drinks and conversation!

13. ioupainmax

ioupainmax Diabloii.Net Member

You'll definitely want a paladin specific shield with some perfect diamonds socketed in it. That will take care of your resists for all of normal and most of nightmare.

At your level and progress through the game, you best bet is to look for any of the following shields (or exceptional versions)...:
    Targe
    Rondache
    Heraldic Shield
    Aerin Shield
    Crown Shield

...with 3 or 4 sockets and hopefully with a resist auto-mod* (paladin shields can have up to 45 all resists). Then shove some perfect diamonds in it - perfect diamonds give you 19% resist all, 4 of these in a shield will net you 76% resist all. If the shield has any base resists, you could easily get over 100% resist all on one item!

Copied from Arreat Summit for expediency:
    *Auto Mods
    Auto Mods are mods that "automatically" show up on all versions of an item, whether it's magical, normal, low quality (Cracked, Crude, Damaged, Low Quality), or rare. One Auto Mod from a given group is chosen for the item based on a random number and the level of the item (and the requirements of the Auto Mod). Many Class-specific items contain Auto Mods while others contain spell/skill bonuses.

14. Brak

Brak Diabloii.Net Member

Don't want to overwhelm you with advice but get an Act II merc and make him a weapon in your Horadric Cube using this recipe:

Any staff
    Any kris
    Any belt
    Any diamond

He'll kill really well for you if you get a decent roll

15. DiabloTwoinDC

DiabloTwoinDC Diabloii.Net Member

Gotta love the SPF. New member asks for help, everyone is ready to pounce with their advice! ;)

16. JoeBruce

JoeBruce Diabloii.Net Member

Agreed.

My advice: Don't listen to all these seasoned veterans! (yet.) Gamble for a new weapon, look for one with yellow font that has + % enhanced damage, and keep slugging away. Life steal or faster attack is nice too. Do level up some, though. Oh, and + lightning resistance will help you survive Diablo's blast. Or just stand real close to him.

17. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

Standing next to Diablo to avoid his Red Breath of Death only works in NM and Hell, IIRC.

pharphis likes this.
  18. Dezrok

Dezrok Diabloii.Net Member

19. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Definitely go for holy freeze, and get a weapon with CB for bosses. There are a few runeword options; Black, Strength. Eh, Beast? Stick it in a flail and keep it on switch, it will help with harder uniques too. I don't know if you are using runeword mod or not (sticked), but its something to look into for sure. It allows you to use runewords that are normally ladder restricted and thus not available in single player.

Also, I am a fan of the redemption aura personally but not everybody is. Definitely worth thinking about though.

20. japanzaman

japanzaman Diabloii.Net Member

Holyshock + zeal = everything in normal dies

DiabloTwoinDC likes this.