Need help for Frost maiden zone

thetrueavatar

Diabloii.Net Member
Need help for Frost maiden zone

Hello, i start 1 month ago a frost maiden bowazon whith diablo2(whitout expansion) and i have some questions
Here is my stats:
clvl:48
cold arrow :20
freezing arrow:10
critical strike :5
all skills have 1 points

Strength:102
dext:130
vital:73

At this point my freezing arrow take too much mana so i run out whith 10 shot. I have 13% mana steal but this is not enough.
I think i should invest point in other skill and wait to get more mana steal but which ones. Should I put in valk, strafe?
Is it usefull to put points into pierce(I only have one).
What about stats ? should i put all my point in dext or should i spent some more in vitality(i read somewhere that a bowazon shouldn't have more than 70) or strength.
EDIT: i forget to mention guided arrow. Is it usefull?
thetrueavatar
 

Krunch_Kidney

Diabloii.Net Member
thetrueavatar said:
Hello, i start 1 month ago a frost maiden bowazon whith diablo2(whitout expansion) and i have some questions
Here is my stats:
clvl:48
cold arrow :20
freezing arrow:10
critical strike :5
all skills have 1 points

Strength:102
dext:130
vital:73

At this point my freezing arrow take too much mana so i run out whith 10 shot. I have 13% mana steal but this is not enough.
I think i should invest point in other skill and wait to get more mana steal but which ones. Should I put in valk, strafe?
Is it usefull to put points into pierce(I only have one).
What about stats ? should i put all my point in dext or should i spent some more in vitality(i read somewhere that a bowazon shouldn't have more than 70) or strength.
EDIT: i forget to mention guided arrow. Is it usefull?
thetrueavatar
It would help if I knew what gear you were using and what gear you were planning on using in the future. Your mana leech is based on how much damage you do, so if you get a better weapon then your damage and leech will improve. Also, you will definitely want a valk, people normally suggest a lvl 17 valk (because at lvl 17 your valk gets a warpike). I don't think you need anymore strength but it depends on your gear's str requirements. You'll probably want to eventually get your vit up to around a 100, but other than that I would put most of your pts into dex, but that of depends on whether you go with strafe/multi/guided as a secondary skill. Strafe and multi both need attack ratings, guided arrow does not. FA gets a large boost to its attack rating, but you'll still probably need to put pts in penetrate so you can leech with FA. Only a true magezon does not need to worry about attack rating. (a magezon does not need mana leech to sustain their skills, instead they use mana regeneration and having a larger mana pool to sustain their skill)
 

thetrueavatar

Diabloii.Net Member
First, thanks for your answer.
I think that my gear really suck. I forget to tell that i a m still on nightmare(i really take my time). In fact I have a kind of mf equipment(sigon armor+helm+boot,vidala bow+amulet,1 manhald ring 6% mana steal,1 nagelring, and arctic gloves +arctic belt).
When i don't use these stuff I wear (Sigon helm+boot+belt+gloves,ratelcage armour,2 manhaldring(13% mana steal),a +1 skill amulette and an imbued gothic bow(10-** dmg,1-4 fire damage)).
I just received expansion so i was asking me if your advice are still good for it.
 

Freyas

Diabloii.Net Member
The advice is applicable to the expansion- most all of the posters on the forum play in the expansion, so that's what most of the posts are geared towards. At level 48, you should be in nightmare- I wouldn't recommend moving into hell difficulty until after level 70 at the earliest.

The problem you are having with FA is that you don't do enough damage with Vidala's bow to leech significantly, and you obviously aren't set up for a mageazon setup using mana regen with a large mana pool. To sustain your FA with mana leech, you'll need a bow that does much more damage. I would recommend running normal baal to try and get a bow like skystrike or Kuko Shakaku. While you still probably won't quite keep up with your mana leech, you should be able to fire quite a few more off before you run out of mana, and you'll have an easier time refilling your orb using other skills.

Along with upgrading your bow, you'll probably want to invest more points into dexterity. This will increase both your damage and your chance to hit, so you should hit more often and do more damage, both of which will increase the amount of mana you leech back.

Your FA should easily give you enough damage to breeze through nightmare difficulty at your current levels of FA and cold arrow. I would recommend putting your skill points into pierce and valkyrie, which should both help you out considerably.
 

slayer37

Diabloii.Net Member
Freyas said:
The problem you are having with FA is that you don't do enough damage with Vidala's bow to leech significantly, and you obviously aren't set up for a mageazon setup using mana regen with a large mana pool. To sustain your FA with mana leech, you'll need a bow that does much more damage. I would recommend running normal baal to try and get a bow like skystrike or Kuko Shakaku. While you still probably won't quite keep up with your mana leech, you should be able to fire quite a few more off before you run out of mana, and you'll have an easier time refilling your orb using other skills.
You mean Normal Baal can drop exceptional items? I was under the impression that exceptional items only spawn on Nightmare difficulty as elite items are found only on Hell difficulty.
 

Freyas

Diabloii.Net Member
slayer37 said:
You mean Normal Baal can drop exceptional items? I was under the impression that exceptional items only spawn on Nightmare difficulty as elite items are found only on Hell difficulty.
If you're playing classic, you can only get exceptional items in nightmare or hell difficulties(or at least that's how it was when I last played classic). However, in the expansion, you can start getting exceptional items in act 5. I've had normal baal drop me several exceptional uniques, and he's one of the best places to go to get some of the low-end exceptional items and high-end normal items.

An alternative place to run in nightmare would possibly be Grizwold or Treehead Woodfist. They both drop quite well for act1 NM, though they do take a bit to kill. If you can handle the tombs in act2, they are also a great place to look for equipment. You get lots of bosses as well as gold chests in all of the tombs(besides the true one) that can drop good equipment.
 

slayer37

Diabloii.Net Member
Freyas said:
If you're playing classic, you can only get exceptional items in nightmare or hell difficulties(or at least that's how it was when I last played classic). However, in the expansion, you can start getting exceptional items in act 5. I've had normal baal drop me several exceptional uniques, and he's one of the best places to go to get some of the low-end exceptional items and high-end normal items.

An alternative place to run in nightmare would possibly be Grizwold or Treehead Woodfist. They both drop quite well for act1 NM, though they do take a bit to kill. If you can handle the tombs in act2, they are also a great place to look for equipment. You get lots of bosses as well as gold chests in all of the tombs(besides the true one) that can drop good equipment.
Does this also mean that act5 Nightmare can drop elites? I'm assuming this because act5 normal can drop exceptionals. I'd better start running NM Baal for elites then. Thanks for the info Freyas... :thanks:
 

Freyas

Diabloii.Net Member
slayer37 said:
Does this also mean that act5 Nightmare can drop elites? I'm assuming this because act5 normal can drop exceptionals. I'd better start running NM Baal for elites then. Thanks for the info Freyas... :thanks:
I've found some decent elite items in act5 NM... that's where I found my first set of laying of hands- from a boss archer in the crystalline passage. If you can MF NM Baal, you can get lots of great stuff.... he can't drop a lot of the elite stuff, but he can definately get you decent equipment for moving into hell.
 

thetrueavatar

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi,It's me again. Now i am on level 58 and here is my skill:
20 ca
20 fa
5 valk
1 to other skills.
I really don't understand why i need a valk since i can have a merc. So, can i safe some precious points and put them somewhere else?
And what to do with the rest? Guided arrow seems to be very interesting by it's complementary damage. I have the feeling that strafe couldn't help me cause it doesn't seem to do enough damage. All I need it's a alternative attack when I meet cold imune monster. And what about doge/evase/avoid/pierce/penetrate?
My opinion is that I should find good item whith +skills(like mavina) so i could reach level 7 in those skills. Will it be enough for those one?
All your advice are welcome
thetrueavatar
 

thetrueavatar

Diabloii.Net Member
Nobody to answer me?
I have one question more. I have 105 in strength and 80 in vitality. Should I put more point in? I am planing to get windforce(but who doesn't want to get it? :scratch: ) so I'll need ~136 in strength. Can i reach that easely by a charm? I'am noob for charm since i first play with diablo2 normal before getting the expansion. So be friendly even my question seems to be stupid for you.
Thanks in advice.
 

simmk81

Diabloii.Net Member
thetrueavatar said:
Hi,It's me again. Now i am on level 58 and here is my skill:
20 ca
20 fa
5 valk
1 to other skills.
I really don't understand why i need a valk since i can have a merc. So, can i safe some precious points and put them somewhere else?
And what to do with the rest? Guided arrow seems to be very interesting by it's complementary damage. I have the feeling that strafe couldn't help me cause it doesn't seem to do enough damage. All I need it's a alternative attack when I meet cold imune monster. And what about doge/evase/avoid/pierce/penetrate?
My opinion is that I should find good item whith +skills(like mavina) so i could reach level 7 in those skills. Will it be enough for those one?
All your advice are welcome
thetrueavatar
advantages of a valk over a merc:

1) needs mana to ressurect (instead of gold)
2) gains your passive tree skills (that's right, your dodge/avoid/evade and even your critical strike!)
3) a good tank and a even better complement with a merc

strafe would be really good for ci. unfortunately, it's as equipment dependant as ga (though strafe can fire off more arrows at once and is better adapted in handling say groups of ghosts). Ga is more taxing as you have to kill a target one by one.

you will need a lot of charms (from as far as i know, str charms sc gives max of 2 each). you can grab some ik sets stuff to help you equip the bow and unequip the ik armor when your bow is equipped. you will still be able to hit, by you'll be punching out arrows instead...

hope that helps
 

tl998

Banned
hehe my Fa/Strafezon can keep her mana bulb filled with no prblem. Using a magewrath and totaling at 42% mana leech, she virtually never runs out of mana!
 
Top