Need help for build - Double Swing 95% Crushing Blow

dustloop

Diabloii.Net Member
Need help for build - Double Swing 95% Crushing Blow

Hi,

With all the discussion that has been going on on this and other forums about the speed of double swing, I thought about a possible build that does damage in hell mainly by crushing blow.

I am thinking of using Gore Riders, Guiliame's Face, dual 'Black' hammers/maces, and Venom Grips when below level 68. That will give me a nice 95% CB. Beyond that, I am thinking of using Stone Crushers.

I have decided to put 20 into Battle Cry for the damage reduction and to solve any potential AR issues. There will also be a standard 20 into BO. With that in mind, what other skills are there to max, potentially?

I am also thinking of using a Act 3 Cold merc for the freeze effect. I believe that knockback doesn't work with things that are frozen. This negates the knockback property of Black, which I think would be a drawback to this build.

Any comments?

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi,

With all the discussion that has been going on on this and other forums about the speed of double swing, I thought about a possible build that does damage in hell mainly by crushing blow.

I am thinking of using Gore Riders, Guiliame's Face, dual 'Black' hammers/maces, and Venom Grips when below level 68. That will give me a nice 95% CB. Beyond that, I am thinking of using Stone Crushers.

I have decided to put 20 into Battle Cry for the damage reduction and to solve any potential AR issues. There will also be a standard 20 into BO. With that in mind, what other skills are there to max, potentially?

I am also thinking of using a Act 3 Cold merc for the freeze effect. I believe that knockback doesn't work with things that are frozen. This negates the knockback property of Black, which I think would be a drawback to this build.

Any comments?
Freezing does indeed negate knockback, but when you consider that (a) there are a lot of CIs in Hell, and (b) A3 Mercs aren't exactly known for spreading their freezing around in a pack, you'll probably still find the knockback to be very annoying.

If you're going to max Battle Cry, consider wearing a bunch of PDR gear (anything with the "damage reduced by x" mod). Any EDR% (enemy damage reduction, such as the sort carried by Battle Cry) will go into effect BEFORE the PDR, which makes it that much more powerful. With 50+ PDR (Amulet of Life Everlasting, Sol in Hat, Sol'd Ironpelt for your armor) and a slvl 26 Battle Cry (-50% enemy damage), you can completely negate any hit that deals 100 physical damage or less. Basically, -50% enemy damage will double the effectiveness of PDR.

dustloop

Diabloii.Net Member
The PDR gear does sound good. However, with that in mind, how would you max out resists in hell? PDR doesn't affect elemental damage, does it?

Maxing out natural resist doesn't seem to do much good, either. I can put 20 into it and still be about 75 points shy of max resists in hell.

This problem confounds me...

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
The PDR gear does sound good. However, with that in mind, how would you max out resists in hell? PDR doesn't affect elemental damage, does it?

Maxing out natural resist doesn't seem to do much good, either. I can put 20 into it and still be about 75 points shy of max resists in hell.

This problem confounds me...
PDR doesn't really affect elemental damage. Actually, it's complicated, but there is a bug where in some very specific circumstances excess PDR will "roll over" and negate elemental damage, but for all practical purposes PDR is useless against the heavy-hitting elemental attacks you'll face in Hell.

Barbs have it a lot easier than other classes, thanks to the second-best resistance skill in the game (on par with Fade for the elemental resists, but Fade has that nice physical resists, too). After Natural Resistances (say slvl 13 after +skills) and three Anya quests, you're sitting at -10% resist-all in Hell. The simplest solution, if you don't mind losing out on some damage output, would be a Wizardspike in your off-hand. It's very unconventional, but surprisingly effective. It's the fastest possible off-hand weapon to Double Swing with short of a Phase Blade or a Cutlass, so it won't slow you down any... and the 75% resist-all and 50% fcr are very, very tasty (50% FCR shaves three frames off of your Battle Cry speed).

I suppose a better solution would be a Silence Phase Blade or Berserker Axe in your offhand. It has the identical 75% resist all, as well as *MUCH* better damage (200% built-in ED). It's also got +2 skills (which means more resists from Natural Res), 11% mana leech, and a 100% chance to blind any target it hits. The downside? 25% chance each hit causes the monster to flee, although that's not a dealbreaker for barbs- just taunt them back again. The only reason I recommended Wizzy first is because I tend to have more spare Wizzies lying around than Vexes.

Another option, if you don't mind incessantly cubing or rolling, is to go for Prismatic Amulets of Life Everlasting. Normal cubing can be a pain, but if you use the auto-prismatic recipe- 6 PGems (1 of each type, no skulls) + 1 Ammy = 1 Prismatic Ammy- you've got a 1-in-206 of getting yourself a nice Prismatic Amulet of Life Everlasting. My pride and joy is a 19% Resist All / 22 PDR amulet I cubed in single player last week.

Then, of course, there are the more traditional resistance solutions. Shields are out, since you're double-swing, but Smoke and Treachery both pack stellar resists. The big problem, of course, is that it's awfully hard to fit PDR, Resists, *AND* CB into one rig. Heck, sometimes it's hard enough just to fit PDR and Resists. If you can afford it, Silence is definitely the way to go here.

dustloop

Diabloii.Net Member
The idea about the wizardspike, that's brilliant. I'm on SP right now and no wizardspike yet, but I will try to trade or mf one up.

I will probably try a Smoke for Hell for resists.

I realised today that I am thinking about too many variables here.

CB%, IAS for triggering CB, resists, and PDR. I will probably go and work out something for my current DS barb, and try it for him when he gets to hell. I'll keep posting as I go along.

Thank you for the help, SSoG. I have always been in awe of your long posts, esp wrt DS barbs. Cheers!

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
The idea about the wizardspike, that's brilliant. I'm on SP right now and no wizardspike yet, but I will try to trade or mf one up.

I will probably try a Smoke for Hell for resists.

I realised today that I am thinking about too many variables here.

CB%, IAS for triggering CB, resists, and PDR. I will probably go and work out something for my current DS barb, and try it for him when he gets to hell. I'll keep posting as I go along.

Thank you for the help, SSoG. I have always been in awe of your long posts, esp wrt DS barbs. Cheers!
Not a problem, I'm always happy to be of some use. :smiley:

dustloop

Diabloii.Net Member
Just a little update on my barb if anybody is interested.

He's currently level 66 and in NM. His current gear (and probably end-game gear) is:

Guilaume's Face (with Jewel of Fervour)
Goldskin (will probably swap for Smoke once I get the right armour)
Laying of Hands
Goblin Toes for boss running / Gore Riders for questing
Thundergod's Vigor

Cat's Eye for 20% IAS
Ravenfrost for CBF
Nice dual leech ring with 4%Ll and 5%ML

Dual wielding
Bul-Kathos' Sacred Charge with a Shael
Bul-kathos' Tribal Guardian

With this setup, I have 95% CB for boss runs and just enough IAS to hit the 5 frame dual swing. And the barb looks cool.

I decided to put only 10 into Battle Cry and wound up using a BA merc instead. Funny choice, I know, and I may switch to using a Might merc in the future, but I figure that having a 95% chance to hit at all times is essential for triggering as much CB as possible.

Currently working on maxing out Bash, and am thinking of maxing out Sword Mastery later. But that's just thoughts. I might even upgrade his armour to a Eth Steel Carapace later for the massive defence.

KavikKang

Diabloii.Net Member
Currently working on maxing out Bash, and am thinking of maxing out Sword Mastery later. But that's just thoughts. I might even upgrade his armour to a Eth Steel Carapace later for the massive defence.
Look at the runeword "Prudence" if you are lookin for massive def armor. It has good mods including res all and can be 3000+ def on when made on Ebug armor.

Bjam

Diabloii.Net Member
Actually, you have 95% CB with one sword and 60% with the other. It's not a big deal, but I thought you might want to know.

You could just put a Ber in the 2nd BK sword for 20% more CB, but that seems wasteful.

You can also get additional CB from crafted blood gloves (5% to 10%) or Steelrends (10%).

Other nice options for CB swords:
20% - Azurewrath with Ber socketed
33% - Kingslayer runeword (hope you get lucky at the Hellforge)
50% - Death runeword in an eth sword (pricey)
60-70% - Last Wish runeword (crazy expensive)

dustloop

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi,

Bjam: thanks for the response. I'm on SP so no spare Bers lying around. But I am thinking of dumping the smaller BK sword for Headstriker (if I can find the runes to up it). It's the same weapon speed so I will still achieve 5 frames.

Kavikang: I will probably run Hell Countess till I get the Mal needed for Prudence. It's a good rw armour.

I'm starting on a new DS barb, actually, since I want to max out the Vit more instead of putting wasted points in dex. One of the issues on my mind is AR, and also safety.

This is the build I am thinking of.

1 Bash
1 DS
1 Leap

1 Howl
1 Taut
1 BC
20 WC
1 Shout
20 BO
1 BC

20 SM
1 IS
1 NR

70 Skill Points

This is the most basic build I can think of that uses War Cry as a means to stun enemies while using DS to CB their life away. However, I am worried about my AR in hell. Currently, I'm estimating about 1000 AR base and 180% addition to AR from max sword mastery.

I see a few options:

1) Use a BA merc.
2) Use a rogue merc.
3) Max BC and attempt to get to level 26 such that it's at a level of -100% def.

Option 3 is tempting, but I don't see how I can fit another 20 skill points into the build without sacrificing the stun length of War Cry.

I am currently using Option 2, but I wonder about the effectiveness of it, since it's a modifier of max 300% AR.

Option 1 is also tempting, but I have used a Rogue merc before and the IS triggering seems sporadic at best. I would also have to load her with IAS gear to shoot fast enough to trigger IS consistently on all enemies.

How much AR is needed in hell, anyway? I have heard figures of about 8000 for late act 5 (running WSK), but I'm wondering at the possibility of achieving this without sacrificing other aspects of the build.

levitikus

Diabloii.Net Member
You might consider Duress Runeword. Cheap and had CB as long as some res and ED and other mods that are very useful.

dustloop

Diabloii.Net Member
Duress sounds good. I've got the Um to make it. However, the armor is going to have to wait till I finish my remake to take advantage of the gear that I found.

Cdnexpat

Diabloii.Net Member
I would recommend giving up on war cry as your main skill and getting enough points in battle cry to make AR a non issue, put your extra skills in battle cry later if you want. Battle cry reduces the damage you take so even when you get hit it doesn't hurt that much especially if you can get some extra damage reduction.

If you can afford it Azurewrath is an awesome weapon. If you want/can you could Ber it for extra crushing blow.