Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

need help building my lightning sorc

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by mackaveli, Aug 30, 2006.

1. mackaveli

mackaveli IncGamers Member

need help building my lightning sorc

HI there,

I have a lvl 80 sorc right now. im not sure what to do with my skill points that i will have left as i plan on lvling to 93 or so. I have 1 skill right now to use + 4 f rom quests in hell and 13 from lvling so that will give me 18 additional skill points i can use.

Right now i have
    20 in CB
    20 in CL
    20 in L
    20 in LM
    1 in all other lightning skills and 1 in warmth

I'm not sure if i should use the 18skill points to maximize my synergy for lightning or if i should dump the rest in teleknesis* for my ES?

I mostly plan on being a PvM sorc with occasionally playing PvP for fun.

What would be best suited for me to Solo hell all the way to baal? dumping the 18 points i have in telekenisis or in Nova?

Also for stat points im unsure of where to put 215 pts i have right now and i'll gain another 65 pts from lvling up to 93 and i have x amount of stat points left from doing quests as i havent done any quests to gain stat points

Right now i have

64 STR
    65 Dex
    150 VIT
    60 ENER

so i should have over 300 points left to put into my stats. I plan on putting about 80 more into str then using charms to hit 156 so i can wear Spirit Shield. I hope to get storch and anni in the future but i don't know when i'll get that.

So i have 200+ to put into either vit or ener? Should i dump the rest in ENER if i plan on relying on ES route?

any advice or tips would be grateful.

Thanks.

2. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Personally, I would go Nova and Vitality all the way - I'm not a fan of ES.

3. Dystopianday

Dystopianday IncGamers Member

I'd say no points in energy unless you intend to max ES and TK, which is impossible at this point.

Nova and vit.

4. mackaveli

k, so i should put some in str to wear spirit then rest into vit.

Will i be able to solo hell all the way to baal pretty easily? or tough?

anicents be tough too?

5. Dystopianday

Dystopianday IncGamers Member

Infinity merc or not? If not, light immunes are going to give you massive headaches.
    Ancients you can just keep re-rolling until there's no light immune, and then vaporize them.

6. soul killer

soul killer Banned

You can always use Enigma to get enough str for Spirit,and save the pts and put em into vit.

7. ioupainmax

ioupainmax IncGamers Site Pal

enigma on a sorc is a waste imho, as he already has teleport and with his plus to lightning skills it will be low cost, furthermore he may need the fcr on his armour or the huge resists of CoH.

let us know your equipment maybe?...

8. mackaveli

umm, i wear a rare circlet +2 to sorc skills, 20%FCR
    tals ammy
    tals bet
    manald heal ring and raven frost
    Hoto and goign to wear SPirit
    Aldurs life boots
    and frosties

i just need to plan on what armour i am going to wear. I've 75% decided on building a CoH for her.

9. pedu

pedu IncGamers Member

If youre not going with energy shield you could switch out those gloves to trangs. Tal amu and belt but not armor? Lots of mf from it. I would put on tals armor or dump the belt for arachnid and the amu for a +3 lightning 10fcr amu and wear a viper or coh.

10. mackaveli

wat is the benefit of wearing trangs gloves? i wear frosties cause then my mana right now will only be 400 and i lose it fast.

I will wear tals armour when i get everything for my sorc. My lvl ** sorc uses the armour to mf right now. I can't mf with my lvl 80 sorc cause i need to finish some quests off first and other stuff.

i was thinking of having my merc have insight and me having infinity since auras stack i think? thats what someone told me. I Wouldn't lose mana and then i could kill fast but i would lose the +5 to skills and resists i think.

If i wear an infinity how does the -45-55 enemy resistance work? do i have to ht the monster physically or is magic okay?

thanks.

11. soul killer

soul killer Banned

Dont wear trang gloves unless you need the cold resist.
    Wear magefists.
    Using infinity yourself will make you kill very very fast because the -light resist works with your lightning atks.

12. mackaveli

so u think an insight + infinity combo would work quite nicely?

13. WrathTalon

WrathTalon IncGamers Member

It will work beautifully. Yes, by holding Infinity yourself, you'll lose some resists, plus-skills, and FCR. But your damage will increase multiple times.

For example: let's say you hold Infinity yourself, and then wear CoH (because you'll need the resists). Your FCR will suffer: maybe only 40% FCR total (20% from Arach and 20% from Magefist). This might seem pretty bad. But when you actually do the math, you see it hardly matters:

40% FCR gives you a 15-frame Lightning/Chain Lightning attack.
    117% FCR gives you a 12-frame attack. This is a difference of only 25%.

So having 117% FCR instead of 40% increases your damage by only 25%. But if you carry Infinity, your damage will be increased by roughly 100% to 300% (depending on the monsters' resists).

The same goes with plus-skills. If you carry Infinity yourself, you lose a few. But big deal: the extra damage you get from both the Conviction and from the -enemy resists, will FAR FAR outweigh the little extra damage you would get from the plus-skills.

If you want to go the ES shield route, giving Insight to your merc is a great idea. But if it's too late for you to max both ES and Telekinesis, I would forget about ES entirely. Put the rest of your points into Nova. You've never seen a sorc sizzle until you've used fully-synergized attacks while holding Infinity yourself.

This will change your gear substantially, though. Without shield or ES, you'll need highly defensive gear: I'd recommend CoH, CoA, and Shadow Dancer boots, for the resists, PDR, and FHR.

Either way, you'll definitely want a merc with Holy Freeze. A2 mercs are great, of course. But if you do Chaos a lot and can't keep him alive (don't we love Maiden?), consider an A1 Rogue merc using an Ice bow for Holy Freeze. Rogues laugh at Maiden, and with decent gear, are almost indestructible.

A thread on sorcs carrying Infinity themselves: http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=489472

Cheers.

14. WrathTalon

It will work beautifully. Yes, by holding Infinity yourself, you'll lose some resists, plus-skills, and FCR. But big deal: you can get the resists from other gear, and your damage will increase MULTIPLE times.

For example: let's say you hold Infinity yourself, and then wear CoH (because you'll need the resists). Your FCR will suffer: maybe only 40% FCR total (20% from Arach and 20% from Magefist). This might seem pretty bad. But when you actually do the math, you see it hardly matters:

40% FCR gives you a 15-frame Lightning/Chain Lightning attack.
    117% FCR gives you a 12-frame attack. This is a difference of only 25%.

So having 117% FCR instead of 40% increases your damage by only 25%. But if you carry Infinity, your damage will be increased by roughly 100% to 400% (depending on the monsters' resists). :thumbsup: Lose 25% damage, but gain 100-400%... Who cares about FCR in this case?

The same goes with plus-skills. If you carry Infinity yourself, you lose a few. But big deal: the extra damage you get from both the Conviction and from the -enemy resists, will FAR FAR outweigh the little extra damage you would get from the plus-skills.

If you want to go the ES shield route, giving Insight to your merc is a great idea. But if it's too late for you to max both ES and Telekinesis, I would forget about ES entirely. Put the rest of your points into Nova. You've never seen a sorc sizzle until you've used fully-synergized attacks while holding Infinity yourself. It's shocking. :shocked:

This will change your gear substantially, though. Without shield or ES, you'll probably want highly defensive gear: I'd recommend CoH, CoA, and Shadow Dancer boots, for the resists, PDR, and FHR. This isn't mandatory, of course. If you're good at avoiding monsters and attacks, you can use more traditional sorc gear (Vipermagi, Ormus, etc.). But since Conviction has a relatively small radius (it doesn't quite cover the whole screen), you'll find yourself getting closer to monsters than most sorcs do. For this reason, I'm a big fan of CoA, CoH, and Shadow Dancer on this build.

Either way, you'll definitely want a merc with Holy Freeze. We all love A2 mercs. But if you do Chaos a lot and can't keep him alive (maiden :cry: ), consider an A1 Rogue merc using an Ice bow for Holy Freeze. Rogues laugh at Maiden, and with decent gear, are almost indestructible.

A thread on sorcs carrying Infinity themselves: http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=489472

Cheers.

15. mackaveli

thanks a lot for the info and tips :)

16. Cope

Cope IncGamers Member

Using the Infinity yourself will increase your damage, but will result in you being much less effective at teleporting safely (due to lower FCR) in Hell difficulty. I don't know if you care about that, but it's something to consider also.

17. mackaveli

thanks for the tips

i plan on having hoto/spirit as my secondary so i can switch between infinity and that?

so i teleport find monsters switch then kill?

will tha twork well?

18. ioupainmax

ioupainmax IncGamers Site Pal

it will work so long as you don't tele right into packs of monsters otherwise you may get hit and go into hit recovery meaning you won't be able to switch as fast which may = death.

also depends on your patience - good luck anyway

19. WrathTalon

Cope raises an interesting point. Normally with such low FCR (40% if you're using Magefist and Arach), teleporting would indeed be very dangerous. All true.

But the funny thing is that using CoA, CoH, and Shadow Dancer takes care of this problem too. The 35% PDR from CoA and CoH means that you will be thrown into hit recovery less often. (You go into hit recovery only if a hit takes away 1/12 or more of your life AFTER all damage reduction is applied.)

And even if you land smack in the middle of a brutal pack and do get thrown into hit recovery, the 60% FHR from CoA and Shadow Dancer means you'll recover almost twice as fast. (At base, hit recovery for sorcs take 15 frames. With 60% FHR from gear, it only takes 8 frames.) That's usually more than fast enough to teleport away again. :evil:

In short, you'll still be able to teleport around in almost total safety--even with only 40% FCR. :wink2: FCR is important for sorcs, of course; but maxing it is not ALL-important, and sometimes not very important at all. Sometimes our defense problems can be handled just as well by defensive melee gear and a little FCR as by ES or maxed FCR, depending on the build. (And especially so when carrying a huge polearm.) I think we sometimes overlook this. Of course, if you have a Hoto on switch and use it to teleport while wearing this gear, you will have absolutely no problem whatsoever. But you may find that you just don't need the Hoto to be safe.

I'm not saying this gear combo is mandatory. But it is a viable solution to the main problem of carrying Infinity without ES: how to survive with no shield and no Occy/WizSpike/Eschuta's.

It has one further advantage too: since you'll need to pump str. anyway to equip CoA and Shadow Dancer, you'll have enough str. to use whatever Infinity you can get. No more need to find a special light-weight Infinity just for a sorc. Any elite merc Infinity will do just fine. Rip it out of your merc's hands and plop it down in yours. Cryptic Axe, Thresher... They're all good, baby. :thumbsup:

20. Kabouter

Kabouter IncGamers Member

As far as I have seen, the most advice above given is for pvm. In pvp you don't want to use infinity in you're own hands. In fact you don't want to use infinity at all since using merc is considered bad mannered. Sure, infinity does give you pretty high dmg, but when dueling decent players that can dodge an attack or 2 you will be killed within seconds. In my opinion basically every sorc needs to have atleast the 105 breakpoint since you just have to be faster than other chars. For example: any druid, hammerdin, fohdin that is moving faster than you (and they will with the right setup if you have less than 105 fcr) will have no trouble in killing you. The only way using infinity in you're own hands could succeed, is using either griffons (25fcr) or a decent fcr circlet. Now the other problem with infinity: resistance. you NEED max resistance in pvp. If you're pretty wealthy you could fill you're inventory up with 20/5's but that would greatly cut you're mana pool hence rendering you're es useless. (Considering non es-sorceresses are pretty much dead in public dueling). And now i'm even ignoring the fact that you don't have max block but that shouldnt be much of a problem when you're fighting public games, since there aren't much decent amazons out there.

My advice would be: equip you're sorceress with pvp items, and just revive you're infinity merc when going pvm. PVM is not hard, a tal sorc can solo baal with infinity so you're pvp sorcs should be able to do it without getting harmed. Besides what else would you want to put on you're merc than a infinity?

Just equip you're sorc with with both es and maxblock (shako, viper, hoto, fcr amu, whistans, waterwalks, magefists, arach if you want the 117% or you could take of the fcr amu or magefists if you don't) I guarantee you that you will be nearly indestructable (atleast I am) and will still have pretty high dmg. You can easily get 30+k dmg with lvl 16 tk. which is more than enough.

edit: about maiden: you can dodge the monsters when you're merc is maidened anyway; it will either get a differend curse or you could quickly take a tp to town.