Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need help assorting skills for a 'Lord of the Mages'

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Heaven Torn Asunder, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Heaven Torn Asunder

Heaven Torn Asunder IncGamers Member

Need help assorting skills for a 'Lord of the Mages'

I figured since I'll me maxing out mage skelies it'll go this way..

20 skeleton mastery
    20 skeleton
    20 skeleton mage
    10-15 corpse explosion
    1 in summon resist
    1 in all the curses

This would equal out to how many skill points being used?

Btw, none ever mentioned about putting points into bone armor, so should I get one in there and have the marrows?

And since I'll be using homonculous, about how much dex should I have?

Thanks!

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

That would yield between 84 and 89. However it is not a LoM. This build is your average maxed out Summoner with CE.

Putting a point in BA and equipping Marrowwalk will leave you with a decent BA. A few people do that since Marrowwalk will be used for the +2 SM it can grant.

Depends on whether or not you want max block.

3. FrozenSolid

FrozenSolid IncGamers Member

Imo you dont need max block because you'll have so many minions, so dont put any points in dex.
    And yes this is pretty much a summoner :rolleyes:

4. Heaven Torn Asunder

Heaven Torn Asunder IncGamers Member

I already have dex up to around 30-35

Maybe I should remake him. =/

Yeah, I seen that this was a regular summoner build. Just thought it would be a LoM, since I'd be maxing out mages. So then what is a LoM?

ETA: he's level 20 now also

5. FrozenSolid

FrozenSolid IncGamers Member

I assume this is for PvM? If youre not a perfectionist then some "wasted" stat points wont probably matter that much.
    I dont know the key definition of a LoM but I think its a necro who uses Mages as his main killing machines.

6. jgreg7

jgreg7 IncGamers Member

Check this thread and this one for some discussion around the build. (I don't think they're stickied.)

I'm currently playing a LoM in a3 Hell, so here's my $0.02.
    Dex for max block isn't necessary. I use base block with no worries. I rely on minions and bone prisons to keep monsters away, or fast R/W to flee.
    For skills, don't max skeleton warriors. They don't "play well" next to mages.
    Bump Lower Resist to 7 or so, since that is the only curse that will increase the mages power.
    I would add bone wall or prison to keep monsters at bay, so they won't crush the mages (or yourself). That also synergizes with bone spear/spirit and armor.

7. rickcarson

rickcarson IncGamers Member

^^^
    | | |

This is all excellent advice. Mad propzorz to you jbreg7 :D
    Which merc did you end up using?
    What level are you? Did you hit any situations you just couldn't handle on your own?
    Do you use Revives?
    Sounds like you're dumping the spare skills into the bone spells? How's that working for you? Would you consider Poison Nova instead? Or a high level Dim Vision for more defense?

There's lots of different ways to customise the LoM, so its good to get feedback about what works, and what works really well.

8. jgreg7

jgreg7 IncGamers Member

Thanks! My LoM is level 78. He uses an a1 fire merc, and 1 pt + skills in revives. I revive only when they seem appropriate (crushing blow or ranged attackers) or to keep shamen from reviving slain ones. My gear (and the mercs) is SP untwinked, so like most summoners the build is not equipment dependent.

I rely on bone prison to hold monster in place, and bone spirit when I want to speed up the killing. Some of this is style: I wanted to experiment with bone prison. the down side of prison is that can draw in too many foes for the mages to handle. I also depend heavily on my teleport staff on weapon switch to retreat and refocus the mage attacks.

Poison might work, but without synergies could be weak and slow. It also wouldn't help with mage defense. For defense, even with +skills I find dim vision doesn't last long enough in Hell unless you are spamming it.