Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need build help

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Dalixam, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Dalixam

Dalixam IncGamers Member

Need build help

I am playing a Necromancer for the first time and I need a little advice. I am going the summoner road and I am currently level 22. The reason I'm asking is that I had a hard time beating Duriel. I have three skeletons, three mages, a golem, and a hierling. Anyway, all my summoned creatures died so quickly and I had to keep teleporting out, kill some smaller demons to get corpses so I could summon new skeletons. I had to do this 10 to 15 times before I got Duriel. I even died once.

I guess I'm using my skill points wrong because I expected the skeletons to be a lot tougher. I can't remember exactly where I placed my skill points, but it's something like this:

Skeletons = 4
    Mages = 4
    Skeleton mastery = 10
    Clay golem = 2 (1 from item)
    Blood golem = 1
    Golem mastery = 4
    Bone armor = 2
    Corpse explosion = 2 (Both from an item)

I think that's about it. I am going for a fire golem, which is why I haven't spent more points in the other golems. Am I using my skill points wrong? What should I especially get when going for a summoner?

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Yes, you are spending points wrong.

First thing first. You should have put in three points in Mastery, one in Amp and the rest of the points you get into Skellies until they reach level 20. Then you put in one point in Clay Golem, One in Golem Mastery and start pumping Mastery until it reaches level 20.

Then get some more curses and put in one point in revives. Decide if you want to MAX mages or not.

The Golems are not a good choice. They do no damage compared to your Skellies. And they are not really sturdy. The only reason you use Clay is for the slowing effect.

Read the Skellimancer Bible for more info.

3. TPMdm

TPMdm IncGamers Member

The wording here makes it sound like MM wants you to max Golem mastery. I can assure you he meant maxing skeleton mastery. You shouldn't spend more than 1 point in any golem or golem mastery.

4. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

First of all, the strenght of a Summoner is in it's Skeletons. You ould have gotten by with 1-3 points into Skeleton Mastery, and then Get Skeletons to a good number (I like 7 for norm) then Mages to 7 also. After that, I started with maxxing Mastery. Then finish Skeletons and Mages.

As for your Golem of choice, make sure you get a merc that can help it out effectively. For mine (Iron Golem) I went with a Might merc. For Fire though, you would want a Thorns merc.

If you are on West Ladder...and feel like restarting over, you can message me *DeadFukker and I can help you get back to where you are now.

HoS

5. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

You were on the mark there. Have a pint lad :drink:".

6. Dalixam

Dalixam IncGamers Member

Thanks for the help and tips guys, I understand how to build him now :)

HarbingersOfSkulls, thanks for the offer, but I think I'll continue to play him as he is now. Only a few point are misplaces so I'll just try and adjust as I go along. Thanks for the offer though :)

7. Cerebron

Cerebron IncGamers Member

If you're about to read some online guides, keep an eye on what version they refer to. Some v1.09 guides tell you Iron Golem rocks and Skeletons suck. In v1.10 it's reversed.

I believe you have chosen your way towards Max (Skelly + Mage + Skelly mastery). It might be late to switch to Corpse Explosion. I highly recommend Corpse Explosion, but I know someone's going to hate me if I did that because the old good memory of a v1.09 Overload is still hanging around. Enjoy your mages. They do good damage and nice visual effect at high levels.