Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need Advice

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Ultimis, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Ultimis

Ultimis IncGamers Member

Hey everyone. I've found myself in a situation here lately. I've got a 47 hammerdin, 41 summon necro and a 67 blizz/firewall sorc. I've messed up my sorc for the last time since i've used all 3 of her respecs and i've still got 1 left on my necro (tried him as summon, then bone, then back to summon). I'm trying to figure out which character i should stick with to get at least in the 80's, so i can actually farm for some stuff, or safe-ishly run LK on /p3 for runes. I'm thinking hammerdin because he's quite powerful even at 47. If i can position correctly, i can kill the mobs in just a couple of hits, but if not i usually die pretty fast. He's in nightmare at the moment and doing ok. I've got to the ancients and just can't kill them before i run out of pots, so i figured i'd go get him a few more levels and try again. His gear consist of a couple of uniques and an ancients pledge along with a shopped +2 blessed hammer mace, the rest is blue or rare gear from drops. I guess my question is, is the hammerdin worth leveling up to farm stuff and LK, or should i try and remake a sorc or something else? Thanks for the advice in advance.

2. ThomasJohnsen

ThomasJohnsen IncGamers Member

You should probably state which kind of SP you play (ie. do you use runeword mod and which version is this).

If this is runeword and a recent version, a spirit runeword in a sword + paladin shield should make a paladin hammer pretty well suited for nightmare players 8 regardless of remaining equipment.

3. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

Usual route to fast development is to level sorc first, then get her to LK and there farm runes for runewords which will make game look super easy. Thing is no one is as fast as sorc by running LK, also it is in general very hard to outplay her with anything but barb. And well, barb is not good until he gets certain items.

4. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

Also, level 47 is pretty low to take on Nightmare Ancients. I'm normally level 70 or so by then. Were I you, I'd level him up by running /players8 Shenk / Eldritch. I'm usually level 75 at a minimum before entering Hell, preferably closer to 80.

NorthDakota likes this.
  5. NorthDakota

NorthDakota IncGamers Member

I would personally stick with sorceress. It's sort of a cookie cutter answer though, since sorceress is the staple farmer in d2.

Some people are pretty anti sorceress though since it's pretty easy to get stuck there just playing sorceress all day all night every day. Like me.

Uthanak likes this.
  6. Uthanak

Uthanak IncGamers Member

Anti-sorceress for life. BUT, I must admit the dual dream bear sorc I saw looked enough fun for me to give it a try waaaaaay down the line.

NorthDakota likes this.
  7. NorthDakota

I can dig it man. I understand because it does kinda suck to only play sorcy. I got a WW barb that's pretty good double grief fort and he's my trav runner (for fun, because my sorcy would be better honestly, but.. ww). But I'm building a berserker mf barb since everyone seems to lose their mind about them.

Uthanak likes this.
  8. Ultimis

Ultimis IncGamers Member

Wow, thank you everyone for the replies! I play the current 1.14d patch and use rwm. I think the problem I've faced with my sorc is getting smashed in a fraction of a second in hell. Although her problem may be she is to low for hell as well. I may just level her to 85 or so and see how she fairs then. I think maybe my problem with most of my characters may be a level issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. NorthDakota

I mean it's probably a gear issue at 85. Honestly. Even the best gear can get smashed in hell. Like my 99 runner (still 96 but geared for 99) still can get smashed if not really played with skill. D2 is a hard game. You gonna get smashed. It takes time.

Edit: second thing. Unless you got a cta, you also gonna get smashed. Cta makes it better but you can get smashed either way.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  10. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

If this is actually the goal you have in mind, then a Sorceress is by a very, very, very far distance the best choice. I'm not sure what "messed her up for the last time" actually equals, so if you could post gear and skills it would be easier to give you advice. I'd think you'd need a seriously bad skill distribution to not be able to get to LK with, say, a Spirit sword, Stealth armor and whatever other FCR source you need to hit 63% (Lidless Wall, Magefist, Ring or Amulet with FCR, etc..)

Being under leveled is an issue, no doubt, but the highest monster level in Nightmare is 75 so getting much higher level than that without going into Hell is going to be very rough indeed. That said, NM Pindle is a good target for experience up to level 72. Going higher pretty much requires running Baal, who is fine up to 75. Though do remember that Sorceresses are not supposed to get hit. That's why you have teleport. 105% FCR is much better than 63% because it means you can reliably teleport through packs without getting hit, but even at 63% you should definitely be able to teleport away from trouble, past dangerous situations and difficult monsters and beeline your target. If nothing else, you can aim to avoid everything but Act Bosses and monsters required to progress (which between Acts1 and 2 means ... the Summoner and that's it?) if things are too bad. Alternatively you could farm NM Mephisto a little bit looking for a Hone Sundan or Kelpie Snare to give to your mercenary to make his damage useful (generally an Insight is better because your damage > his, but if your skill setup is sufficiently borked this may be the better option.)

Also, in LK the entire point is to not fight anything, so you're way better off running on p7 because of how much more loot you will see.

11. Friiser

Friiser IncGamers Member

NM Mephisto may also be a good place to get some unique and set items - there's also the "moat trick". NM cows can be a good source of bases for runewords, although Hell is better once you're strong enough.