Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

need advice, possibly hacked

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by doctafux, Mar 22, 2004.

1. doctafux

doctafux IncGamers Member

need advice, possibly hacked

hey guys
    this guy gave me his acc/pw
    and i logged in
    then it closed my d2
    then i opened it up again
    and it was my acc name on the login place
    i dunno if this is some sorta hack the guy made
    to reveal my pw if i type it

i don't want to lsoe all my items
    does anyone have any advice or experience etc with this type of thing
    thanks in advance

2. th5418

th5418 Banned

Your not hacked.

3. Reggitsan

Reggitsan Banned

Diablo II just crashed. Nothing to worry about.

4. ScruffyhawkIII

ScruffyhawkIII IncGamers Member

you should be allright. whenever you log into bnet the first account name you see is the last one you logged into, this may be a case of server side lag or one of those fabled unhandled access violations.

5. doctafux

doctafux IncGamers Member

asd

alright guys thanks i will login now

6. Frenzied Bovine

Frenzied Bovine IncGamers Member

Some things to remember:

1) DONT change the password on the "new" account to ANYTHING like what your regular password is. Make it something completely different, and write it down.

Why: biggest mistake is to change the password on a newly acquired account to the same as your others. Hacker then "recovers" YOUR password off HIS account. gg to you.

2) DO change the password recovery email, but point it to some garbage/spam account. If necessary, make a new account at a service provider such as hotmail etc. Don't point it at the same email you use to recover your other accounts.

Why: if hacker can figure out what email you use to recover your accounts, he can look at your password hint on that site and begin bugging you with questions to try and figure out the answer, hack into your email, and then "recover" the password to all your accounts.

3) Mule the items off ASAP - if there are any - and then delete the account. If you can do this WITHOUT changing the password/notify address, do so. Touch the account as little as possible, since it is tainted.

Why: it's not your account. Trust it about as far as you can spit it.

4) Immediately clear the friends list of the account.

Why: I wouldn't rule out the hacker snooping to see what name and pass you use for your mule games - he could make a visit in future to see if you happen to be muling something of value so he can steal it.

5) Don't store anything of yours on the account (eg. dont use it as mules).

Why: it's not your account, and you never know when it'll be returned without your knowledge..

In fact, I bet this guy will complain to Blizzard in a few days (with his CD key) in order to reassert ownership of the account - and steal anything you had muled on it.

So loot it and abandon it. Preferably WITHOUT changing the pswd/email notification account. Just look in the chars, take what you want, and bail. There are sooo many ways to get burned by this little scheme.

A really good tactic that springs to mind would be to put a high level sorc on the account and give her maybe one good peice of gear (eg skullders) - wait for the mark to deck out the sorc in good stuff and start MF'ing, then repossess the account and steal all the items.

Before anyone starts wondering, this is all COMMON SENSE stuff. I don't DO this, but if I did, I can think of a dozen ways to trap an unsuspecting victim who jumps at the chance for freebies.

7. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

Yeah, I've been saying the same thing a few times on this forum. I do it that way when I get an account.