Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need advice on /p8 baal-runs

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Frowzor, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Frowzor

Frowzor IncGamers Member

Need advice on /p8 baal-runs

I've been tinkering with my tesla-din recently, trying to level him higher (currently at 91) and so he's been running baal. He's got more than enough firepower to tear through anything that looks at him the wrong way, even at /p8, but the Moron is something of an issue.

He's running an eInfinity thresher (1.13 base), which is most of the reason why the pally kills so easily, but he also dies kind of often. A lot. All the freaking time. It's really starting to annoy me, and I can't seem to figure out a workable equipment set-up for him.

I've read that some people here have used teslas for Baal-runs, including 1 hardcore 99 (wow) so I'm hoping maybe some people can share their experience.

1. If I don't get lifetap to proc from Dracul's, he can't handle pretty much any hard-hitting threat.

2. Any time he's both decrepify'd (OK's or waves 1-3) and under a unique's HF aura, he will probably die whether lifetap is on or not.

3. Any nasty combination of mods on wave 5.

4. WSK 3. I usually try to kill boss-packs and concentrated groups of non-bosses on the way to the throne since it's alvl85, but WSK3 is full of physical immunes (wraiths and succubi). That's not a problem for my kill-speed with all that lightning. The pally's usually okay dodging the horde of bloodstars coming at him, but the Moron really can't handle the lack of life leech.

So the Moron's setup was initially eInfinity, eFortitude AP, and a non-eth Andy's socketed with a 25/15 FR/IAS jewel. Stone helps with wave 5, but lowers his res and his leech (when it's effective at all). Thinking about trying that with an Um'ed VGaze, but none of mine are very good rolls and I don't have many socket-quests to waste. I've thought about going back to NM and switching him for HF (currently Might) but I'm not sure it would be a good idea to make both our leech even MORE dependent on life-tap procing.

So any advice from the more experienced members would be appreciated.

2. nubikoen

nubikoen IncGamers Member

Re: Need advice on /p8 baal-runs

A might merc does nothing for you. I'm assuming you're wielding a crescent moon phase blade. If so, your physical damage is negligible even with a might merc. Switch to holy freeze asap.

It will provide you with the crowd control you seem to have none of, too.

3. DerBirne

DerBirne IncGamers Member

A wand w/ life tap charges so you don't rely on an unreliable proc might help you

4. pcguy

pcguy IncGamers Member

Buffing him with a Call To Arms may help. Acquiring a Call To Arms in single player is difficult though, so my advice is not all that helpful.

5. Virtue

Virtue IncGamers Member

Not since 1.13, I have 2 of them and 2 ohm's on standby right now.. and I haven't gone rune hunting for a good while now.

6. ReadyTorches

ReadyTorches IncGamers Member

As a melee by myself with my fury I stand where baal is so that only one mob can reach me at a time past wave 3. then i mow them over on at a time, its very effective vs the last wave.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2010
  7. Frowzor

Frowzor IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the replies!

nubikoen: Okay, I've traded him in for an HF merc, and there have been some improvements. We haven't had any more problems with wave 5, and it's generally more effective against random nasty mod bosspacks. Still the same problems with WSK3, but I guess I'll just have to keep trying for a map with as short a path on that level as possible.

DerBerne, pcguy, Virtue: I do in fact have CtA on switch, which rules out the wand. I kind of thought that would be a given seeing as I already posted I'm using 'BerMalBerIst'I have a small suspicion that a good portion of the merc's deaths happen when BO runs out, so I'll have to try to refresh it more often.

ReadyTorches: That's somewhat similar to what I do. Typically for wave 4 and 5, I try to stand as far away from Baal as possible, so I can only just see the stairs; basically just close enough for the waves to spawn. Then as soon as I see the animation, run towards the bottom left pillar. Assuming the moron doesn't get caught in the center of the pack as it spawns, he should follow.

Then I try to stand between the wall and one of the pillars there. There's a small obstruction between the pillars, so only one of them can attack through there, and if you're positioned right you're only in contact with about three of them I think. This way you get to stay away from Baal's decrepify. I recommend you give it a try, as I find it's a lot easier.

8. buckies

buckies IncGamers Member

1.08 Vamp (or perf 1.10+ Vamp with appropriate socket) > Andys for merc survivability purposes.

What level is your BO? Perhaps consider having more gear to boost this. You should always know when the BO runs off yourself and it's time to top up, and, with the gaps between the waves there is no excuse not to top up frequently.

At level 91 your merc should be sweet. Mine usually have no deaths (aside from a fanat lister or the like) once they hit around 87.

Since you're rune wealthy, why not wear Enigma and tele him out of stupid situations?

9. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

What kind of spare runes do you have? Have you got a vampGaze? A shael in the vampGaze should be more effective than um. I'd be interested to see what bigger difference that makes before suggesting more extreme measures. It is possible to have a godly merc at the price of a cham.

10. Frowzor

Frowzor IncGamers Member

buckies: I'm relatively flush with runes atm, but even in the 1.13c land of plenty, I have still never seen a Jah. I've got just enough that I could cube one if I burned everything I've got Vex+ (except for my fistful of Chams >.>) but then I would be Ber-less, so no Enigma for me yet. That would probably be the best solution though, so I may head down to LK and see if I can find something there.

BO is only level 11. The only place I can see where I could improve it though is the amulet slot switching to Highlord's or Mara's. But right now he's using a +3 Offensive/20MF ammy, which I like a lot.

Zod: I have several VGazes, but none that I'd want to sink a Cham into. Apparently the best one is 8ll/18%PDR, which I do not remember picking up. I've been working under the impression that they were all near-min at best, so I'll give the Shael option a try.

11. elevenlang

elevenlang IncGamers Member

do you go through WSK with p8?
    just p8 with the waves will save you a lot.you dont have too much unexpected things

I still prefer pallu with shields, why not let the merc carry the infinity, no need to worry about eth any more. you can have some very nice shields help you deal with the waves, exile for example

12. ReadyTorches

ReadyTorches IncGamers Member

My fury has the max range I could put on it so I can snap some of them before they get on the stairs when they spawn. If I'm being a air head and forget to go on the stairs I simply: attack-runback-attack-runback. When three are down I can take the rest of the pack no problem.