Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need advice on good traps assasin pvp or anything just please help lol

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Mantha6684, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Mantha6684

Mantha6684 IncGamers Member

Need advice on good traps assasin pvp or anything just please help lol

i need some major help building a good traps assasin my friend did one but is being a dink and wont help me so far as i can tell he uses some kind of lightning and mind blast ??
    :scratch:
    can you guys help me with what a good one should wear and where her points should go? feel free to just email me [email protected] thanks :clap:

2. Kaffe

Kaffe IncGamers Member

OK, traps assassins are basicly cookie-cutter now a days...

Regarding skills; max lightning sentry sky high. There are synnergies for Lightning Sentry, and you should max all skills givining bonuses to it. After that slap the rest into Mind Blast. Make sure you have one point BoS, One Point Fade and One Point Shadow Master. And Blade Shield might be an option. If you don't have enigma or teleport charges, Dragon Flight might be an option.

Now, regarding gear, you can choose to go for 50% PDR, or you can skip it. You'll still end up with either a lot or very little. Both ways work fine but you might want to play a bit more cautious vs. physical attackers with little PDR. You might also want to consider using Two Claws. Your block will be lacking, since you can't really pump claw block skill. But on the other hand, you can get a hold of 2 x Magic Claws with +3 Traps and a possible +3 Lightning Sentry. That's +12 to chosen trap right there, and therefore A LOT of extra damage.

I'm going to provide a simple Weapon / Shield Build here, with +skills and PDR in mind.

- Heart of the Oak
    - Stormshield (-req / res. all)
    - Harlequin Crest (Cham socketed if you can afford)
    - Mara's
    - Trang's Gloves / Frostburns / Magefists
    - Arachnid's Mesh / Verdungo's
    - Shadow Dancers / Sandstorm Trek / Marrowwalk
    - 2 x Stones of Jordan OR 1 x Bul-Kathos Wedding Band and 1 x Stone of Jordan or ravenfrost + SoJ.
    - Enigma Armor or Stealth

You can switch the Heart of the Oak and shield for either of these options, depending on style:

- Moser's Blessed
    - Whitstan's guard (superior shield if you can get PDR from another source)
    - Lidless Wall / Rhyme. Might work better against casters there you don't feel the need for resistances.

And, as I said, you can switch for Claw / Claw too. Gear would be pretty much the same, but you need to get a higher level Fade. This can be used by pre-buff (equip a lot of +skill gear and cast fade, then switch to ordinary gear). With suggested gear above, you can get (at most) a level 23 fade (or so) from pre-buffing. Level 33 with shadow charms. Fade has a hidden PDR bonus, so each point put in there gives 1% PDR. With 33% you need 17% from other sources. Harlequin Crest gives 10%, so that's 43% right here and should be quite enough.

If using stormshield and harlequin crest together, you get 45% and have no worries about PDR; you can then use BoS, which helps your trap laying speed A LOT.

Ooh, and another option, if you're on a budget is to try and get shadow skill charms. They're somewhat cheaper and if you look at it they can be quite an option.

Shadow Skills charms give bonuses to:
    - Burst of Speed
    - Shadow Master
    - Claw Block
    - Fade
    - Mind Blast
    - Psychic Hammer (if you would need to use it)

Trap Charms give bonuses to (assuming you stick to one trap, and given that +skills don't add any synnergies bonuses):
    - Lightning Sentry.

So basicly you boost one skill (though you do it for a VERY good reason) over 6 different skills. Some say this is most definetly worth it. I say, that you might want to consider the alternative. I did this in 0.9 with a noteworthy result on a hybrid...

3. bronzdragon5545

bronzdragon5545 IncGamers Member

good plan short and sweet. dont forget the 8%dr from enigma

4. Kaffe

Kaffe IncGamers Member

As always, I think I did :)

I've just blocked that armor out of my mind...

Ooh, and other weapons that work are:

- Wizardspike (resists, FCR, Mana, etc)
    - Suicide Branch (a tad bit slow to cast traps with though, not too much res)
    - Bartuc's (+2 all assassin skills, 30% FHR, great claw for C/C trapsin if you want mods from claws)
    - Jade Talon (FHR and res. basicly)
    - Rare Claws (I have a deasant pair of WoF claws, +1 all, +3 WoF, 40% IAS (great for reaching good trap laying break points). A rare claw, with the right skills and mods beats HoTo or magic claws with ease)

I might be wrong on some points, as I was mostly playing trapsin in .09 and haven't really gone about to do another one in 1.10. I'm more into Hybrids and Kickers right now...

5. Mantha6684

Mantha6684 IncGamers Member

thanks for the help guys one more questin though, if i don't have enigma would chains of honor work or maybe something else?

6. Kaffe

Kaffe IncGamers Member

Stealth Armor rocks, if you don't have Enigma. It adds a whee bit of dexterity, Faster Cast Rate (for Mind Blast / Psychic Hammer). Faster Run / Walk and Mana Regeneration. Basicly kick-*** armor, and I picked that over Arkaine's or Shaft any day in 0.9.

Duriel's Shell is another armor that deserves a mentioning. It can save you a Cham or a Ravenfrost. It doesn't add much else per se, more than life and resists. But either way, it's a great armor and cheap to purchase too.

Chains of Honor is good too, but doesn't add much mods that we want. We don't need leech, 25% FR/W from armor is more than the life 20 strength from armor provides (in saved charms). If you don't have Enigma and it's Teleport you basicly need to boost FR/W, otherwise any dueller will be able to run up to you and smack you in the face.

Stone is great too, the FHR is A LOT of life saved up in charms, and slap on Bartuc's and you're home free. You need 86% FHR all together for last (reasonable) breakpoint.

Other simplistic armors can be The Spirit Shroud, Skin of The Vipermagi, Shaftstop, Arkaine's (bit heavy though). Basicly, most armors in the game :). I would probably recommend trying to get Enigma, as it's so commonly used or referred to as the über armor. Otherwise, use Stealth, or Chains of Honor. Depends on your playing style. +2 skills can be great, but IMO, stealth has better mods and is a lot cheaper. If you have CoH though, go ahead and use it.

Guardian Angel is a great mod too. If you use Fade as main "aura", it boosts your resistances to very nice level. Great to use vs. elemental attackers.

7. IfrIt

IfrIt Banned

Ormu's Robe + % light dmg doesn't work with trapsin, does it ? :scratch:

8. disci

disci IncGamers Member

I think +% lightning damage works, but -% light res wont.
    Not 100% sure. Have read about this somewhere.

9. Kaffe

Kaffe IncGamers Member

I beleive +% Lightning Damage works, because it affects the traps upon laying them. -% Lightning Resist doesn't work because the traps are considered to be minions.

However, I would probably pick Enigma or CoH over Ormus, because the mods are simply splending, and +2 all skills adds damage too, mind you. FCR is only necessary to boost mind blast.

Ormus vs. Stealth makes a quite competitive choice though.

Ethereal Arkaine's is a viable armor. It's kind of heavy on strength, but if you go with the HoTo + Storm set-up it should be just fine. Regular arkaine's with -req / all res. is good too. Arkaine's should be a bit cheaper now, as it's acctually a quite crappy armor in comparison to the new godly one's.

10. IfrIt

IfrIt Banned

The case is that I don't have Enigma or CoH :uhhuh:
    But I think I'll try the Ormu's instead of Stealth :thumbsup:

11. Kaffe

Kaffe IncGamers Member

Free choice, Ormus doesn't really add any life though. 20% FCR is 20% FCR and not gained through anything else (like charms). Chances are it won't help you meet any breakpoints (40% Hoto, 20% TO, 20% Arachnid's = 80%, 20% from ormus = 100% total (need 105%).

And 25% FR/W has to be made up with charms. Which would be a 20 life each. 20 x 5 = 100 life. Don't know if new small charms drop with 3% FR/W (like in the beta) because that would be an even worse predicament.

You pretty much want a lot of fr/w if you don't have any teleport, because a barb (or fellow trapper or just about everyone) can just run up to you and hit you otherwise. Lack of FR/W killed of 3 of my 4 different trapsins in 1.09. And with a lot of FR/W, teleporting classes will gain less on you, as you can "outrun" them, or at least move fast enough to get from point A to B before they can teleport around to C, D and E (nevermind if you don't follow) but in a duell vs. an aggressive sorc (or necro, or druid, or hammerdin) you got to be able to run a fair bit away, otherwise they'll just tele on top of you and spam you with spells.

12. IfrIt

IfrIt Banned

Yeah.. in other words... I really need an enigma or other good trapsin armor :cheesy:

13. Kaffe

Kaffe IncGamers Member

Or Stealth :).

The thing about Trapsins now a days are that they are pretty much like 1.09 Buriza-zons. All they needed was their Buriza and they... won... basicly.

Now, you only need a deasant level Lightning Sentry, and a pray that your opponent ain't cheap and soaks it all up.

So the armor is basicly up to you, if you play defensively Guardian Angel or Shaft is idea because you can hit the PDR limit right away (without Fade), or you can have like 85 all res. all the time.

If you rely on Mind Blast, then FCR is a good idea (and then it should be either stealth or ormus depending on gear).

However, as I tried to explain, if you can't afford Enigma then Stealth is your top choice, as it equals roughly a 100 life, would give you 25% FCR, mana regen and +6 dex. It's basicly 118 life right there.

And 105% FCR (Hoto, Arachnid's, Stealth, Trang's Gloves) should do wonders with your mind blast. If you manage to keep the pressure on you won't be needing any teleport or +2 skills or 15% enhanced damage (or whatever your Ormus gives). You'll get Stun + Physical (from Mind Blast) + Lightning Damage + Poison (if your Shadow Master does something right). That's one of the reasons why I picked Shadow Charms for my 1.09 Trapsin, and according to what I've seen today it's still a viable idea.

14. TruGambit

TruGambit IncGamers Member

What is PDR? And why pick Master over Warrior? And can you like sum up the different version of sins? Like if you're going to rely on mind blast, what armor you might want, and a back up cheaper one that we can afford if we can't afford enigma? I'm still learning how to build a good trap sin. And also, if you get the right stuff, which sin or which trap sin is better? Overall like if kickers and stuff are better? And which trap sin is better? Lightning or Fire. Thanks.

15. Kaffe

Kaffe IncGamers Member

PDR is Physical Damage Reduce. Offered mainly by Shields such as Stormshield, or helmets such as Harlequin Crest, Crown of Ages and Vampire Gaze. It reduces the Physical Damage you take by a certain percent. Fade has a hidden bonus of 1% PDR per level of the skills. So a level 17 Fade would give 17% PDR.

As I said, Stealth is probably top choice over Enigma, I can't really recommend any other armor. It helps you get 105% FCR and at that very point your Mind Blast will work very effectively.

Shadow Master is the later of the two Shadows. And the deal with the Master is that it can use ANY of the assassin skills, and she usually spawns with better gear than the Shadow Warrior. Shadow Master can occasionally cast traps (only one though) and she can cast Venom on herself and deal impressive poison damage. A high level Master and Mind Blast can win a few duells.

Regarding builds, I'm not really the one to ask :p. The most important part is to concentrate on Synnergies. Hybrids are harder to play now because pure Trappers can reach such impressive damage. Personal preference was, and still is, Lightning Tree. Lightning Sentry has greater range, shots more times and over-all it stuns just as fine as fire. Also, negating fire is VERY easy. Slap on hotspurs Wake of Fire does very little damage. Not even considering absorb (Rising Sun...).

Trappers are usually stronger overall. Most pure martial artist (kickers / claw / etc) have a harder time competing with both Whirlwind, Zeal, Fury and the likes. Kickers have received quite a boost in 1.10, and Chaos Runeword can turn any assassin into something as deadly as a Barbarian. But, a pure trapper can still take on anyone, and it usually doesn't require the king of items to do so. In fact, trappers can be done with less than level 30 requirment gear and look fairly the same as one with the godliest of trapper gear.

I'm still a bit undecided whether I want to get back into playing Trapsin. If I decide to do, I'll probably put together a full-fledged guide on the subject.

16. TruGambit

So for Stealth, what gear do I want? Good ones for cheap? And why do I feel so wea. Right now I have the 3 main lightning traps maxed and I feel soooo weak. It only does about 2k. I don't have any of the right gear and I don't think. And the Ormus thing, what is that?

17. Kaffe

Kaffe IncGamers Member

With Stealth I would tweak on the following:

- HoTo (heart of the oak) Flail (great mods, 40% FCR, +3 All Skills. Wiz Spike too if you can't afford that)
    - Stormshield (pretty much a must)
    - Mara's
    - 2 x SoJ
    - Shako
    - Stealth (of course)
    - Arachnid's (+1 all skills, 20% FCR)
    - Trang-Oul's Gloves (cold res mainly, magefists is nice too)
    - Aldur's boots (since you can't tele you want to run fast basicly)

That brings us to +10 All skills from gear alone. 105% (to 115%) FCR exactly (just what we need for the last reasonable breakpoint). It's pretty easy to totally avoid FR/W penalties from armor (just make stealth in a light armor). This set-up adds deasant resistances, and it also gives you 45% PDR. 50% is the limit so we're pretty much good to go here. As Trap laying (not shooting) is based on IAS, we probably want to use BoS to get the fastest possible trap laying speed.

Ormus Robes is a new piece of armors, that is mostly for sorc. It adds up to 15% (I think) of damage to a few elements (cold, lightning, fire). So with a perfect Ormus, it adds 15% damage to lightning sentry. Basicly like having an extra skill point or two in a synnergy. It also adds 20% FCR. Which would be too little for a Hoto build like above.

18. TruGambit

Ok, thanks. Do you play on west or east? If you do play on west, give me a message. I'm TruAsianBoi-AA. I would need some help doing this.

19. Kaffe

Kaffe IncGamers Member

I play on Europe, acctually. I've been planning a move, but never really got around to it, and having trouble picking one server :p. Europe is a tad bit too populated for my taste... oddly enough...

Either way, just write a thread, if I can't give a few tips or hints someone else can.