Need Advice On Fire Claws Dueling

Phat Wolf

Diabloii.Net Member
Need Advice On Fire Claws Dueling

I just made a fire claws bear to duel with, and I'm currently following the guide in terms of my gear, i'm just short on the charms, anyways, I usually don't have too many problems in most duels, except for barbs and smiters...there's just no way for my bear to beat the good ones in duels, when I'm in bear form it becomes hard to hit them, not to mention their resists. Then when I switch to wolf for a bit more ar, I just more dmg faster...can anyone let me know how I can put up more of a fight against them?

Thanks in advance.

KellKheraptis

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Need Advice On Fire Claws Dueling

I found that a quick Fissure+Reshift works wonders against most of those, especially the charging type. Just make sure in all cases you are NOT running, as charge and WW will rape you with 25% effective blocking. Against some smiters, shockwave was enough to do the trick, as they'd get that moment of stun, and that's when I'd pounce on them. These tactics though were from 1.10, when I still had PyroUrsus, so might be outdated. Lemme know how they work (would check now, but I don't have a firebear atm)!

Jary

Diabloii.Net Member

Assuming its a really good smiter or barb there's just no chance man, so I wouldnt worry too much bout it. If you're both saying "go" and starting the duel.. just no way, you'd have to be really lucky. Well... barbs are much more beatable, but smiters are just really hard. Its still fun getting the jump on one of them in pubs for a quick laugh ::thumbs up:: :cool:

Phat Wolf

Diabloii.Net Member

Uh with dual ravens my ar for bear & wolf are 10k & 15K. But with a bk ring and raven my ar becomes 8k & 12k. Btw I'm currently lvl 70, with one angelic ring I'm hitting 21k for my wolf...but I have a small dex problem so I can't use another angelic until I can use my torch...

Verashiden

Diabloii.Net Member

What's your charm setup and remaining gear? That AR is ridiculously low for a FC, especially in Wolf form.

Queen Mebd

Diabloii.Net Member

Verashi's right, that ar does seem a little off in wolfform, especially with Angelics. I want to say my fireclaws druid hits somewhere around 32k ar in wolffrom with dual Ravens, a life amulet, and Hsaru's belt and boots.

As far as dueling strategies go, always use wolfform over bear against barbs and smiters; you'll lose a frame of attack speed, but the ar and fhr is crucial, especially against the latter. Trying to shockwave a barb who can just ballerina dance through it or a smiter who will block it at two frames is just liable to get you run over. Also, if you have spirit wolves, they can be useful to soak up hits (just be sure the smiter doesn't have excessive life tap when using the doggies). I've also been a fan of casting the oak sage right on top of me against barbarians to soak up a hit if they're being dolts and taking long whirls at me.

Phat Wolf

Diabloii.Net Member

Um let me see, I'm using Jalal's socketed with a shael, gores, magefist, dungos, enigma, 6os pb with shaels and sanctuary. As for the charms like I said I quite poor atm but I have 9xss gcs, a few 19 and 20 life scs, 3x5fhr scs, frw sc and anni.

Queen Mebd

Diabloii.Net Member

That Sanctuary might be the reason you're having some trouble; you're a little light on the pdr. Try turning up a Stormshield, with that and Enigma (and even Verdungo's in your case) you'll be looking at maximum (50 percent) pdr which will make a big difference against heavy-hitting physical damage opponents like barbarians and smiters.

Also, I'd ditch the Magefists for a pair of Bloodfists. The fhr and life is huge and greatly offsets the one +fire skill you'd be losing. Gores are nice for melee duels (mostly barbs since it'll allow you to deal damage even if they're taking time and whirling around you defensively), I'd snag a pair of Aldur's for your all-around setup, the fr/w is huge and the 40 life will give you a nice little boost since you're charms are light on +life.

Phat Wolf

Diabloii.Net Member

Hmm yea I just got to lvl75 so i can now use stormshield and torch, thanks I will get try and get a pair of bloodfists sometime. um..what is the desired health at my current state? I think i might be runnin low on that too.

Queen Mebd

Diabloii.Net Member

Oh, leveling up will help a ton too; your clvl plays a part in the chance to hit equation. I'd definitely try to get to the nineties before you do any serious dueling (or high eighties if you're impatient). Since you don't have a ton of +life on charms, I'd think of going maxed lycanthropy and three fireclaws synergies, though I can't say what to expect healthwise off the top of my head.

Phat Wolf

Diabloii.Net Member

Oh alright thanks alot, I did stop to do some mid lvl duels just before ladder ended, it was good except a couple of duels with barbs.

superjayson

Diabloii.Net Member

way low on AR bro. got good smiters i pack over 40k+ AR and sometimes that isnt enough, so imagine how well 10-15k is going to do.

duel angelic's + leveling a bit (85 at least) and you'll be in much better shape.

Jary

Diabloii.Net Member

The thing against smiters is... even if you could hit them, you can't. Wolfs can use shift+Fury and eBotd zerkers to get range advantage... FC druids unfortunately are stuck using range 2 boom sticks. Sometimes in a rare occasion you'll find a smiter, get a hit off him and manage to finish him in two hits... but the better ones that take a good 3+ hits I wouldn't waste my time.

I've found in past that cornering myself, if they pin you against a wall, allows you a chance to recover quick enough in wolf form at times to get in a hit between... but still, life tap and resist will always be your greatest enemy.

best tactic will always be: Fissure!

Stash 30/-30% PB and ravenlore and use with your stormshield, or any faceted armor you can. Switch to caster gear like magefists, arach sojs, for fcr and just drop fissures at your feet. Against barbs hold your ground and cast ontop yourself till your about to die, then switch back to bear and try to FC it out. Against smiters cast fissures and just run around like a mad man in circles till they die. If you got good fire gear, most will drop really fast. If they sorb... well, then they'da sorbed anyways and they're bastards lol. At least with this strategy, even if you dont win you're using guaranteed damage and at worst you might get them down to 1/3 life, etc. I'll take that any day over dealing with 75% block, ridiculously high defense, %chance to hit, lifetap, etc. the odds are just totally against you, 'cause they have 100% chance to hit you lol... friggin' high % ctc life tap in 2 hits :p Still fun to try, give it a whirl though and let me know how it goes :thumbup: