Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need advice in Hell

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by yamfun, May 8, 2008.

1. yamfun

yamfun IncGamers Member

Need advice in Hell

(I play on TCP/IP)
    So, my lv7x fanatic zealot reached hell and he's struggling there. I used to rely on zeal+fanatism+property of life stolen of my Aldur's Rhythm to work in NM, where I won't die as long as I am hitting something. But it doesn't work now. What is the cause? Do monsters in Hell got higher defense, so that my damage is lowered, so that the life stolen from damage is lessened?
    Or the life stolen is lowered in Hell?

Btw, my defense is 600ish, resist negatives, too low for hell?
    My chance to block is 3x%, and I don't have Holy Shield, actually, I've been using polearms before I got the Aldur's Rhythm.
    Oh, and I usually die too when those little gold name boss dies and explodes, I have no idea how to avoid that as a melee.

Since he's too hard to play, I started a fishymancer which reached hell too. It's really hard to get the first corpse to summon the first skeleton.

Any tips for these two characters to better survive in hell?

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Re: Need advice in Hell

Welcome to the forums !

Your character lacks a lot for hell mode.

Leech is divided by 3 in hell mode and your weapon is not good enough by far. Resists should be as near to 75% as possible, in particuler fire and lightning res. Get a few points in holy shield as soon as possible, it's a mandatory skill for melee paladins (except pvp chargers). Negative resists are deadly. Blocking should be at 75% when holy shield is active. Move the mouse cursor over the defense rating in the character screen to check it.

A summon necro is an excellent idea for a new player because he will survive well without good gear. For free skeletons, go through the portal next to Anya if it's still there. You can raise a lot of free skeletons there before the corpses there come to life again. The Anya portal will be gone if you killed Nihlathak and you hit the waypoint on the way to him, however.

You might also consider starting a frozen orb/meteor/fireball sorceress who can teleport to actr bosses and kill them while wearing lots of magic find gear.

Pick up all flawless gems/skulls you find and cube them up, that's the best way to trade for a lot of gear you are lacking.

Have a look at the forums for your character classes. They contain guides for building them and a lot of them have good tips about cheap equipment as well.

3. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

That would be the fire explosion that fire enhanced bosses release when they die. If you are within a certain radius (very close) to the boss you get hit by this massively damaging explosion. The damage of this is extremely reduced in Hell so you shouldn't be hurt by it there. In NM and Normal it is best to have your mercenary kill the boss so you can stay out of range.

Your Fishymancer shouldn't be having any problems getting corpses. Let your mercenary (assuming you're using Act II Might merc) kill the first monster and use a clay golem to distract any other monsters in the area so the merc isn't swarmed. Could also use the curse Attract to have the monsters kill themselves off and provide bodies that way.

Beyond that I don't have anything to add as Krischan beat me to most of the main points.

4. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

There won't be any pgems trading in TCP/IP games. You should still be able to get a decent polearm for your necro's merc, though. With amplify damage and a clay golem, you should have little problem trying to get a body for skele.

5. krischan

Oops, I overlooked that. Forget about the plan to keep gems for trading. Keep them anyway, to reroll grand charms from nightmare act 3 great marsh or later - from that point on they can get a bonus to a skill tab.

6. yamfun

yamfun IncGamers Member

What sort of magical mods on items should I aim to keep now for the paladin?
    More life stolen? Better resist? Faster attack speed? Faster hit recovery? Better defense? Ignore target defense? ..etc?

7. Mursilis

More resists definitely, until you are almost maxed. IAS most likely, so you hit your desired breakpoint. Same for FHR, get more until you hit the breakpoint you're looking for.

As for all the other mods out there, that's completely up to you. There isn't a blueprint of exactly what mods to keep and which to get rid of. There is a general guideline, which is in all the guides, but each paladin is basically unique so no one can say exactly what you need to obtain.

8. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

I'd suggest you take a look at some of the low-end runewords. Many of them are quite useful, yet pretty easy to make. Take Smoke as an example: for a price of a Nef and a Lum, you get a whopping 50 to all resists.

Then there's Ancient's Pledge, Ral Ort Tal, which, if made in a 3-socket shield, will provide you with even more resists.

There are more useful runewords out there, but I will leave it up to you to check them out. Use this site for more info: http://battle.net/diablo2exp/items/runewords.shtml

IMPORTANT: Read carefuly instructions on how to make runewords. There is lots of important info there.

9. Mursilis

I've never quite understood Ancients Pledge. Using those same sockets for perfect diamonds gives you more resistance than the runeword does.

10. krischan

You probably don't have 3 perfect diamonds when you play the game untwinked and solved the prisoner quest in act 5 normal. The reward for that quest is Ral+Ort+Tal :azn:

11. Grumpy Old Wizard

Grumpy Old Wizard IncGamers Member

OK, leech being nerfed has already been mentioned. As a zealot you shouldn't need a whole lost of leech though.

Paladin shields. Pick them all up and id them. You can get good resists + 4 sockets to stick perfect diamonds in or make some good low level rune words in time

You can also go back to Nightmare and look for resist charms. If memory serves me that best chance for resist all small charms is Nightmare Act 2 lost city. But you don't necessarily need small all resist charms. The most important resists are lightning and fire.

Small elemental damage charms are also very helpful to a zealot.

Now, if you pick up stuff and sell it you can also do some gambling for good jewelry.

Do you have a mercenary? I'd pick a normal defiance merc as he is a good taknk and will increase your defence.

>>>My chance to block is 3x%<<<<

Yikes. I just noticed you were usig a 2 handed weapon before and don't have holy shield. You'll either need to stick to a 2 handed weapon or get your resists off of charms and maybe stick elds in a 4 socket shield (or Whistan's guard.)

12. mjkittredge

mjkittredge IncGamers Member

50% increased defense and 10% damage taken goes to mana are decent extra mods you won't get from 3 pdiamonds. Plus, you can do a lot more useful stuff with the diamonds than you can with the 3 runes.

13. Mursilis

I'll grant that the 10% damage to mana mod can be useful, but the 50% to defense isn't going to help much unless you're going for a purely defensive build. And there are better shields/runewords out there for such a purpose.

As for the Pdiamonds, they don't have as much of a use as you may think. In a weapon they give +68% Damage vs. Undead while in a helm or armor you get +100 to attack Rating. Neither very useful. Pdiamonds are used in a few cube recipies, such as:

• 3 Perfect Gems (of any type) + 1 Magic Item = 1 New Random Magic Item
    • 6 Perfect Gems (1 of each type) + 1 Amulet (Magic) = Prismatic Amulet
    • Diamond (any quality) + 1 Staff (any type and quality) + 1 Kris (any quality) + 1 Belt (any type and quality) = Savage Polearm Class Weapon
    • 1 Tal Rune + 1 Shael Rune + 1 Perfect Diamond + Normal Unique Armor = Exceptional Version of Armor
    • 1 Ko Rune + 1 Lem Rune + 1 Perfect Diamond + Exceptional Unique Armor = Elite Version of Armor

Only the rerolling recipe can be used with only pdiamonds, and personally I'd rather keep my 57% resistance as opposed to a single roll. The other recipes require other items with the Savage polearm recipe and the upping of a normal armor (getting a belt to 4 rows) being the only two I'd use myself.

14. yamfun

yamfun IncGamers Member

Thx for the advices so far, so in short, I should forget about "getting even more % life stolen to compensate the leech reduction in hell" and get more resist and block rate.

How about attack rating, what is the typical % to not miss against common monsters?

15. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

In essence, you got it. Getting more leech doesn't help if you taking way too much damage. However, it's always nice to have at least some leech.

There ARE two way to get even more leech, though.
    1. Get more damage. (more precisely, more damage per second) More damage = more leech. It also help you kill faster.
    2. Life-tap. Enemies that got cursed by this will give you a whopping 50% leech, without penalty if I recalled correctly (since that's how we leech off Uber Meph). Wands or daggers with charges of life-tap are being sold by vendors. They are a bit expensive to repair though, so use sparingly.