Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need advice for hybrid necro (summoner/bone)

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by jart, Mar 23, 2004.

1. jart

jart IncGamers Member

Need advice for hybrid necro (summoner/bone)

Hi Guys,

First of all, thanks for all the useful information and helpful people in this forum. I have learnt a lot from lurking here.

I am in the process of building a summoner/bone hybrid. He is currently lvl74 at the end of Nightmare and doing very well. He currently has, with gear, +29 raise skelly and +20 SM. (looking for that elusive summoning charm to get to 30 RS and 12 skellies). He is loving his little army.

All the summoner type guides automatically assume max RS/SM. I am trying to save some skill points for use elsewhere and was looking at the skill desc for SM. Does each point invested over lvl 20 continue to add a linear amount of dmg (ie. 2 dmg per skill point)?

If I max SM, I will need to put another 15 points into it. If the dmg increase IS linear, this will add 30 points of base dmg to my skellies - is this correct? If so, this will then be enhanced by my might merc - eventually +230%. Does this mean if I invest the extra 15 skill points into SM, my skellies dmg output will effectively be increased by "only" 100 or so after might?

Any input or corrections to my thinking would be most appreciated.

TIA.

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Skellies with 5/20 SM/RS:

Damage: 59-61
    Attack: 380
    Defense: 380
    Life: 239
    Life: 325 (N)
    Life: 439 (H)

Skellies with 20/20 SM/RS:

Damage: 124-127
    Attack: 605
    Defense: 605
    Life: 359
    Life: 445 (N)
    Life: 559 (H)

Although the damage increase per Skellies is not that spectacular, you are forgetting that this gets boosted by both Might and Amp. Plus you have 8 Skellies dishing out this damage. So while it may seem weak on only one Skellie, together they are a formidable fighting force.

3. jart

jart IncGamers Member

Thanks for the reply Mad Mantis. Much appreciated. LOL - I forgot about amp and the fact that I will have 11-12 skellies when I posted :)

Another question or two, if I may:

From your example it appears as though adding points to SM has some other multiplier other than the +2 dmg per skelly per level in the skill. If I look in my skill tree at the desc for raise skeleton there is a line that reads "Damage 182 percent". This is not mentioned on the Arreat Summit. Is it something new in 1.10? Is this why in your example adding 15 points into SM adds 60+ dmg (not the 15 x 2 = 30 that I assumed)?

Thanks again for any advice or replies.

4. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Yeah. The Skellies have a built in +ED%. The increase in base damage is multiplied by this built in +ED%. This leads to the higher than expected damage.

5. kaervek666

kaervek666 IncGamers Member

15x2 = 30 * (skelle %ED + might aura %) * skellies then modified by AMP. i have very little idea how to work out your mercs % other than watching how it affects your H-H damage.

ooh ooh my question. how much damage would BS need to do to be effective (or at least half decent) in hell against bosses? 1k damage? this will be as backup for my skeletons of course, which will mean the current curse is amp or decrep.

6. jart

jart IncGamers Member

I am using marrows and currently have a 2300 dmg spear with BS and one synergy maxed. My original question above came about because I am fast running out of skill points and I was hoping to save a few on SM and increase the radius of my CE. After getting Mad Mantis' advice though, I will be maxing SM and them putting any other spare points into CE.

Re: bone spear dmg to deal with bosses - as the BS is magic dmg, you can take down pretty much any boss with it, even if it does only 1000 dmg. From my experience though, having 1500+ dmg makes things a bit quicker. Also keep in mind it can be quite mana intensive.

Hope this helps.

7. kaervek666

kaervek666 IncGamers Member

I would definitely max RS and SM. dont forget the extra life from SM, its not much but it can mean the difference between a victorious army and a dead in hell battles. If anything i'd take points away from BS synergies to increase the CE radius if it doesnt feel big enough. normally either want 1 base point to kill tightly packed critters or max it to blow up everythiing on screen. good for bloody foothills or ranged attackers.

The mana cost isnt something i'd considered, but i dont mind chugging potions during a boss fight.