Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need Advice about a Mf Light trapSin

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Drmurder, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Drmurder

Drmurder IncGamers Member

Need Advice about a Mf Light trapSin

Well this is the first time i making an assassin so ill need help. As for gear i can afford a pretty decent varity of things. I browsed the guide thread and looked at a Pvp light trapsin and figured id use that as a base skill/stat wise. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Alc

Alc IncGamers Member

Re: Need Advice about a Mf Light trapSin

I made a light trapper recently, and have been surprised at how lethal she is. She uses standard caster-ish gear which you'll no doubt have around if your post count is anything to go by (hoto/crap spirit/enigma/arach/shako/magefist/soj/ravenfrost). This is more than enough for the 102 FCR breakpoint for nice tele, and with 1pt Burst of Speed I hit fast trap laying speed and lovely FRW - the gear adds plenty of res, and with an Um in shako, a cheapo 14 all res gc and a crappy fire res charm I'm at 75 across the board. No max block, lots o' vitality (over 2k before BO). Maxed Light Sentry, Death Sentry, Fire Blast, Charged Bolt Sentry, and the spare in Shock Web.

Light Sentry and Death Sentry are your main killers, Fire Blast is for helping out while you're watching the sentries do their business, and for taking down LI monsters. (Just a quick reminder - the trap laying speed for the traps you'll be using is affected by IAS rather than FCR, and the sentries are considered summons by the game so don't benefit from facets.)

1pt into Cloak of Shadows (blinds enemies, lowers their defence, increases your own) and Mind Blast (stuns enemies for a few seconds, can convert them to help you - great for fixing mobs in place, especially at Baal's throne). Both of these take a little getting used to but become standard tools pretty quickly.

I put a point in Weapon Block to play around with a fade/claws build but didn't find it to my liking. The setup I listed above (with a few trap skillers) does nearly 10k light dmg from Light sentry, and Death Sentry has a massive corpse explosion area, so I don't feel I'm lacking damage, and claw/claw/fade tends to lack all of the other kickass mods from the hoto/spirit/BoS combination - the best claws I've seen all seem to focus on adding as much to Traps/LS/DS as possible. While fade adds some DR% (about 15% at lvl15 iirc), you shouldn't be getting into melee all that much anyway. The standard caster gear may seem like a bit of a dull choice for an Assassin, but it certainly felt more forgiving of my errors than a claw/claw max trap damage arrangement.

I stuck a high damage infy along with a Forti and Andys on a holy freeze merc, and he's a pretty key part of the build. His huge damage makes Chaos a pain since he dies frequently even if I'm careful, but his help everywhere else is is invaluable. Of course, the trapper can make it through CS on her own if need be, unless De Seis is Fire/Light immune.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert on Assassins, and this is my first trapper, so YMMV - don't take my word for anything, figure out what you want and go from there. I'd also love to hear where I've gone wrong, as I'm sure I've missed some area for improvement.

3. Drmurder

Drmurder IncGamers Member

I just realized after reading your extremely helpful info that traps require Ias instead of Fcr and my gear wont give me any, Should i like put a Ias/All resis jewel in my shako or assassin circlet?

4. Alc

Alc IncGamers Member

Depends what you need. If you're going the fade route (fade adds huge resists and DR%), you'll want IAS from wherever you can get it, and you'll need to be looking out for Runic or Greater Talons (fastest claw weapons). If you're going Burst of Speed (adds huge IAS and FRW), you'll want resists - whether you use hoto/spirit or claws, although obviously if you go for the latter you'll typically be quite short on resists.

For a while I ran with dual claws and hoto/spirit switch to get a feel for what I'd be choosing between, and until I'd decided which route I was going to follow I didn't socket my shako. Better to get a feel for what the build is missing through play rather than try and decide in advance.

(D'oh, should've read closer - a dual IAS/all res jewel would be a sound bet but might be a waste if your IAS requirements are covered by BoS/resists are covered by Fade)