Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need a tip regarding being blue and frozen

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by GentleDragon, Nov 15, 2006.

1. GentleDragon

GentleDragon IncGamers Member

Need a tip regarding being blue and frozen

Hi I'm new to Diablo II and need a strategy tip. I'm on the third quest and keep getting frozen; then I can't move fast enough to kill the atackers and end up dieing. Please Please give me some tips on this.

Thanks
    GentleDragon

2. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

The best solution would be to get an item with the "Cannot be Frozen" mod, such as the Ravenfrost ring. Since you're new, finding such an item might be difficult. You might want to consider gathering a few PGems and trading for a low Ravenfrost. Be aware that you need to be level 45 to equip this item.
    You can also hire a mercenary to absorb some hits for you while you pound away at the monsters. Hire an Act 2 mercenary; they're pretty durable.

3. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Nonsense. There are several super-cheap sources of CBF.

Death's Sash is part of the Death's set, but it has "Cannot Be Frozen" on it. The "Rhyme" shield runeword is supercheap (Shael + Eth) and has a TON of handy mods on it, including Cannot Be Frozen.

GentleDragon, getting chilled shouldn't be enough to get you killed already in Act 1. Normally, you shouldn't need to worry about any CBF until you get to Nightmare. If I may ask, what character class do you have? What do your stats and skills look like? Do you have a mercenary and have you given her any gear yet?

4. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

Act 1 of what, normal? Nightmare? Hell? If it is normal......, can you please check whether you are walking or running, and are you running out of stanima?

5. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

6. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Which is why I said "such as", to illustrate an example of an item with the CBF mod. I never said the Ravenfrost was the only thing that had the mod, now did I? :rolleyes:

7. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

But if he is lvl 6, the only thing that is going to help is death's sash.

8. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

No, but you did say that it could be difficult to find a CBF item. People will give away Death's Sashes for free. Ditto that for a Shael and an Eth.

9. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Death's sash is kinda rare. It's also valuable for LLDs, so there is a market for it.
    Anyway, I can't imagine being chilled doesn't last more than 5 seconds and happens very rarely in normal, I don't know what the problem is.

10. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I think it's as easy to trade for a Ravenfrost or to get a free one. In any case, both of you are assuming that this os on bnet. Trading might not be an option on single player. In that case I would suggest to make a Stealth runeword. BTW, that's the first runeword I'm making in each ladder season.

Apart from that, calling Evrae's posting nonsense is rather rude, being on the brink of flaming. BTW because it doesn't make more or less sense than yours.

11. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

I agree- Stealth is a truly top-notch runeword, and is usually one of the first things I make on all of my no-twink characters. It's just too bad that it doesn't have "cannot be frozen" on it anywhere. :wink3:

Also, I didn't call Evrae's post nonsense, I simply said "nonsense" at the beginning of my post. It's a common colloquialism used when people disagree, meaning roughly the same thing as "pish posh". I wasn't trying to belittle Evrae, I was merely stating my disagreement with his point that CBF is hard to acquire for beginning players. Like I said, pretend I said "pish posh" instead and hopefully you'll see that my intention was anything but to cause offense.

12. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

:azn:

You quoted Evrae's posting and wrote "nonsense" below it, with a period at the end. That's calling a posting nonsense. :rolleyes:

Whatever a colloquialism is (don't explain it, I will look it up when I'm done with this posting), I guess you want to say it's normal to say "nonsense" to express that you are disagreeing. I don't think it's normal and Evrae doesn't think it as well, it seems. That's two votes versus one and as normal means a kind of average, your opinion is farther away from what's normal than mine :tongue:

You can write "IMO that's nonsense", but writing simply "nonsense" is claiming to tell the absolute truth which your statement definitely wasn't.

The point is, even if you didn't mean it to be insulting, it made that impression and that's what counts, no matter what's normal for you.

13. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

we might have frightened the op
    i hope GentleDragon returns sometime to give us updates on his status

14. PlayWithHonor

PlayWithHonor IncGamers Member

Your new... so I'll answer your questions as such and won't recommend trying to get a bunch of stuff that newcomers typically won't have/can't find.

Buy some Thaw potions and put them in one slot of your belt. When you get frozen (i.e. turn blue) drink the Thaw potion and you won't be blue anymore.

Quite simple really.

Enjoy!

PlayWithHonor

15. GentleDragon

My stats are as follows:

Paladin, Level 9
    strength 45
    dex 28
    vit 27
    energy 26

Thorns and might skills
    I have mercenary

Where do you get these modss?

16. GentleDragon

In act 1 normal, walking and not running out of stanima.

Thanks
    GD

17. GentleDragon

I'm playing on bnet. How do I get the cbf items?

18. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

Ah, the wonderful world of triple posts. There is a button down on the lower right of any post that you yourself make. I'm assuming you are either using the "Reply" button or extremely adept with the VBulletin commands, because you have quotes in your posts. The Edit button is right next to where the reply button is. Using that can avoid posting multiple times in succession, often times called Spamming.

Anywho, onto the topic: Being frozen in Normal usually isn't such a big deal. You are by far too low of a level to have to worry about dedicating your gear to CBF. I recommend following PlayWithHonor's advice and investing in several Thawing Potions, buyable from Akara. They will not only remove any Chilling effects from you (if they are already on you. They will not prevent chilling), but they'll also boost your Cold Resistance by 50% and raise your Max Cold res by 10%. Useful little guys.

Also, it seems as though you're investing in strange skills. Perhaps you are doing so intentionally, but maybe you should take a gander over to the Paladin forums and check out some build guides to help you choose in which skills you want to invest.

19. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

I fully understand that I gave at least you the IMPRESSION that I was being rude. I never felt from Evrae's second post that I offended him or her (I just thought s/he was disagreeing right back), but it's possible that I have indeed offended the both of you. A lot of it is an entire inability to convey tone over the internet. That's why I was taking the time to explain myself, so that hopefully you can understand that I was NOT intending to be rude in the slightest.

Personally, when I see "That's absolute nonsense", I view that as someone calling something nonsense and being rude. When I see the word "nonsense" followed immediately by an explanation, I view that as a simple disagreement. I mean, that's the type of thing my GRANDMA says to me- "Grandma, I think I'm going to be late to school", "Nonsense dear, we still have a little bit of time". That sort of thing.

Like I said, if you found it offensive, pretend I said "pish posh" instead. Do you still think it's offensive?

As for GentleDragon... to be honest, at level 9, getting frozen should not be a concern. What I think is that you're possibly going too fast. Slow down, make sure you kill all the monsters before moving on, make sure you never get mobbed by more than 4 or 5 monsters each, and make sure you always keep your Mercenary with you (even if you haven't killed Blood Raven, you can hire one by now). Equip your Merc with a 3-socketed Hunters Bow (you can shop them from Charsi), stuffed with two chipped topazes and a chipped sapphire. That should chill the enemies for you as well as dealing great damage.

20. Smorter

Smorter IncGamers Member

I remember getting frozen by Duriel all the time. (I know CBF won't work against him)

I remember it was my first time against Duriel since I started replaying, and I was too stupid to use a Pike with my Bowazon so I had to use cold arrow and keep on running, and drink a potion every time I got hit lol. But even though the b****** was "cold-ed" he kept charging me :p

ended up dying about 5 times before I killed him, and used up about 20 potions. to add insult to injury, just as I fired off my last arrow to kill him, he hit me again so we both died again at the same time lol!

It was all good in the end because in my "you have died" screen I saw a gold ring on the ground.

But then it was a Nagel. 15%MF Nagel. :cry:

The second time around I used a Pike with Jab :) This was 1.06 Jab lol. Duriel got an a**-whooping (revenge)