Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Need a recommendation.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Disposition, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Disposition

Disposition Diabloii.Net Member

So the only character I have at the moment is my Trapsin, now that I'm in Hell I really don't want to play her on my laptop at work due to risks of death, laptop is great but I prefer my desktop. So I want to start a new toon, wondering what you guys think I should do. It's also going to be a 99 attempt in HC, probably not P8 the entire time, maybe however. Just want to have fun. It will be untwinked. Looking for ideas, if you had to do a second character what would you do? :) I'm sure you all have loads of characters, I only played b.net until recently so the single player game is new to me.

2. ioupainmax

ioupainmax Diabloii.Net Member

Blizzard Sorceress

3. TheNix

TheNix Diabloii.Net Member

My one and only Guardian was a Fishymancer; it isn't the most thrilling character, but it is safe. I would have thought that a Trapper would have been relatively safe though.

4. Disposition

@ioupainmax

I thought about it but I think until you have gear you'd have to go Orb/FB or something, no?

@TheNix

My trapper is really safe, I just don't like playing on my laptop, has nothing to do with anything else really. :/

5. PSYCHO

PSYCHO Diabloii.Net Member

It depends on a few things. If you're after a completely new start, without any sort of twinking, then I'd second the notion for a Fishymancer. Otherwise I'm partial to MeteOrb Sorcs, especially with a good bit of muling.

6. GooberGrape

GooberGrape Diabloii.Net Member

Blizz sorc or WW barb to get runes, depending on whether you prefer LK or Travincal. Build at minimum Heart of the Oak, Call to Arms and Enigma. Roll a really good Spirit paladin shield with resists. Get the biggest eth Insight you can find. Then put all that stuff on a Hammerdin. I wouldn't attempt a 99 in HC because I value my sanity, but if I did it would be with a Hammerdin running CS.

Hookipa likes this.
  7. Baltha

Baltha Diabloii.Net Member

I'd play a sorc if I were you. But take it with a grain of salt, I play sorcs most of the time :D. Anyway, I've seen people start as a blizzard and respect to a dual sorceress when they are ready to Hell. I'd just play the dual sorc and save the respecs for later. You don't need a powerhouse to bring down NM Meph anyway. My plan for my untwinked Meteorb was to buy a 2 os +3 Fireball from Drognan, make Leaf and crush through Normal as a pure fire sorc. Then start to build Frozen Orb in NM, farm Spirit / Rhyme and Insight from the Countess to reach Meph. Then farm Meph until ready for Hell Meph / Lower Kurast. LK is way faster and easier than Travincal when you are starting, and sorc is the queen there.

I like the fishymancer for HC too, but he is not very good farming bosses unless loaded with crushing blow. He works better as a (slow) a85 runner.

My 3 Guardians are a Trapsin, an Orbitaller and a Fishymancer.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    Zyr likes this.
  8. Disposition

@PSYCHO

Yeah, I'm between the two at the moment.

@GooberGrape

I just don't know why but twinking doesn't feel like part of my game... Maybe once I get all 7 classes to Guardians then I'll play around with that idea but until than I'd rather do self found. :)

@Baltha

Yeah I may go with a sorc, Blizzard with treating your merc good through norm/nm will be more than fine and then respec for hell after farming baal to level 75/80 or so. Rush to LK then farm what you need for runes to finish the game, get a good tunnels map for a blizz sorc and pray. :D

Or I may just play my Trapsin lol. Just be sad if she goes wayside.

9. srrw

srrw Diabloii.Net Member

Bowazon, Strafe/MS. By far the most fun you can get when you're going through HC untwinked. Close second would be a Fanatic Zealot.

sanguillen likes this.
  10. sanguillen

sanguillen Diabloii.Net Member

I would just reverse the order. Depending on how my HC Fishymancer fares in the untwinked 99, a Fanatic Zealot (or maybe a Barb) will be next on my list.

This is true. I go Urdar hunting for the bosses, but that isn't very efficient for sure. Tons of fun though, and relatively "safe". But at the moment I have him running The Pit and Ancient Tunnels.

Also....in my opinion the Necromancer has, by far, the best voice comments in the game. :D

11. Disposition

@srrw

Strafe hey, I thought bowazons relied very heavily on gear, didn't think you could make one untwinked, any recommendations gear wise while leveling/what to look for?

@sanquillen

I may do a zealot actually, max fana? Fire Norm/NM for andy farming -> Butchers ect?

12. srrw

srrw Diabloii.Net Member

That's the beauty of it, always looking to improve gear and never neglecting anything. Unlike with a sorc or nerco where you pretty much stack MF and hope for the best.

There's definitely easy to find stuff that will get you through the game just fine. Dependent on a bow? Buriza, WWS, Goldstrike, Kuko will get you by. Elite 4os bow? Harmony! Lucky rune drops? Silence! Gambling Cruel bows? Yes please.

Need gloves? LoH and Cleglaw's are endgame worthy stuff.

Need armor? Treachery, Duress, Lionheart all great and dirt cheap.

Everything else is to fill up AR/dmg/leech.

Only sort of hard to come by and not by all means necessary item is Razortail. But then you have Goldwrap, Tal's belt, Nos' coil and whatnot to look forward to.

By far the only downside is slowish Act I/II normal until you get Strafe, manaleech and a bow that's not pathetic.

If you're ever worried about damage, just find a decent source of OW. And a bit of slow target.. And cold damage charms. And knockback, you want knockback end of story.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  13. Disposition

Appreciate it. :) Decided I'm going to play my Sin for now, have some farming I can do. If I get tired of pits I will try something else however. :)

14. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Imagine how many 99ers you're going to have!

15. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Blizz Sorc or Hammerdin.

16. PSYCHO

PSYCHO Diabloii.Net Member

I went with a Holy Freeze Merc for my Sorceress, just for the additional safety.

Rolling around at the moment with an Insight Colossus Voulge amongst other things.

17. BKC

BKC Diabloii.Net Member

Those are not mutually exclusive sir ;) all my characters are self found and some of them are heavily twinked. Unless you ment you wont mule onto your char. but the 99 trapsin just needs love and attention. lower your P settings, Guardian her.
    Run LK (you can run it fast on a good map with a trapsin) to get some runes going and start grinding the level 85 areas for gear. (chaos on p1/3 can be very fruitfull and its very doable with a trapsin!)

Hoto, enigma, infinity, griphons all 4 are great finds/crafts on a trapsin, all endgame gear and you can finish the game with way less gear then that! If going for 99 is the goal please do it untwinked (or self found whatever your word for "all found by this char" is).

Anyways my advise if you want to play a second character? Go blizzard sorc its strong, its a good MF char but will it do you any good for your untwinked trapsin? Nah... :)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  18. Drystan

Drystan Diabloii.Net Member

Every character has what is termed a "cookie cutter." It may not be the most enjoyable, but it's a standard build that can be done untwinked, self-found, single player, etc, if you're willing to farm a little bit for key items. Farming items is mostly relatable to the characters that require a solid weapon for their damage (Paladin/Barb/Amazon compared to Sorc elemental skills.)

Assassin: Trapsin - lots of opportunity for crowd control, solid damage for Hell, lots of life.
    Barbarian: Whirlwind, Concbarb - a bit more item dependent, but still very standard.
    Sorc: Untwinked, MeteOrb/BlizzBaller; OR Standard Blizzard if you just want to teleport past everything Cold Immune and farm specific targets
    Necromancer: Fishymancer (typical Raise skeleton/Corpse Explosion.) Variants include using curses (Dim Vision is amazing crowd control,) throwing in Mages, or getting Gumby up with extra skill points. After the typical Skeleton Points, all other options are viable.
    Druid: FuryWolf is the one that comes to mind.
    Amazon: Strafer, LFzon etc.

All have their strengths and weaknesses, and some are more enjoyable than others. Check out the Mat/Pat/Guardian thread for many of our builds over the years. Look for those which are "Untwinked" and/or "Single Pass," as they are the ones that will help you out the most, provide ideas and strategies, and potential dangers to be aware of. Tournament Characters are almost always Single Pass + Untwinked, and show that all characters can beat Hell untwinked and with heavy stat/skill limitations. You will find a lot of information in there, and lots of potential semi-guides. Twinking heavily with overly powerful gear isn't for everyone, so enjoy the playstyle you enjoy the most.

Personally, absolutely untwinked, starting 100% new, I would go for: Blizzard/MeteOrb/BlizzBaller, Trapsin, Fishymancer, WWBarb, in that order. That is subjective, and even varies in my mind. But a Blizz sorc can farm the easiest MF targets as well as LK, and get through Hell if you're aware of the dangers of single elemental builds and willing to teleport past almost all of Act 5; there are some things she simply can't beat without a Merc/previous planning.

Zyr likes this.
  19. Disposition

@Kitteh

I know right... Maybe one day. :p

@T72on1

I may make a blizz sorc next, I have two 94+ sorc's in HC on B.Net, I still keep them alive. One Blizz one Light.

@PSYCHO

Yeah, depending on the build freezing can help. :)

@BKC

I agree, Untwinked and 99 is the goals for this Sin so I will basically just lower /P settings and grind it out. I'll do it with each character and then maybe I'll mule on to characters, I'm not sure... what's the deciding factor for you to mule on to a character or not?

@Drystan

Yeah, I will look at tournament characters for some ideas, thanks. :) I think I'm going to start streaming my pay time too.

20. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

@Drystan I'd think the cookie cutter option for Druid is Windy, no? For Amazon it's LF. Strafe is very good too, but I wouldn't call it cookie cutter. Not in the list of LF/Blizz/Trapsin/...

@Disposition I wouldn't stream your pay time if I were you ...