Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Necromancer...

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by paulblasi4, Jan 11, 2009.

1. paulblasi4

paulblasi4 IncGamers Member

Necromancer...

A dead discussion I know, but I can't help feeling obliged. Could he be brought back in expansions? To differentiate from the Witch Doctor, I think the new Necro should take on roles as summoner and shapeshifter.
    So instead of the druid's animal crap, he'd transform into undead state, taking forms of say... dead heroes? Demons? :scratchchin: Summons could include the classic skeleton, but also a new array of vicious undead rather then the little gremlins the WD uses.
    Thoughts?

2. peasant

peasant IncGamers Member

Re: Necromancer...

It's not simply the play style that needs to be drastically different. In order for there not to be a sense of overlap between any classes, they need to be different theme-wise. And as it stands, the Witch Doctor already fills the role of 'master of the dead', regardless whether the creatures s/he summons are zombies, skeletons, ghosts or nothing. Hence, it's virtually impossible for the Necromancer to make a return. Certainly not the way he was in Diablo 2.

3. Telzen

Telzen IncGamers Member

But remember that they said the WD minions are meant to be a distraction and the damage comes mostly from the WD themselves. So the necro could have minions that are meant to do most of the damage, while the necro sits back and curses and distracts. I think they could be made different enough to work.

4. Doctor Salvador

Doctor Salvador IncGamers Member

I do love the Doctor, but if I don't get a full scale summoner by the first expansion, I will be tremendously disheartened.

5. Kiroptus

Kiroptus IncGamers Member

Necromancer is Jay Wilson's favourite character, since he is a bit biased towards him its possible to see his return.

JW said that for now, the only returning class will be the barbarian but there might be room for more, since necro is his fav I think the chances arent bad at all for the necromancer.

6. paulblasi4

I just don't see the WD as "master of the dead". For some reason it gives me the sense of WoW warlock (not a WoW to D3 complaint), not in gameplay but just in theme.
    The WD doesn't fulfill the summoner class, because as stated most damage in fact comes from the WD himself. I think there is definitely room for a return, obviously with SOME changes to differentiate the two.

7. Grug

Grug IncGamers Member

Take heart, loyal of Rhatma. Blizz had said they would consider putting the Necro into an expansion.

8. paulblasi4

Could you link an interview?!! :crazyeyes:

9. Bad Ash

Bad Ash IncGamers Member

I am in the minority but I hope there is not a character ever called the necro in the game. I think if they re-did the character and took close relatives of the character I would like that, it could be something like disciples of the necro or just how the culture of the necros has changed over 20 years, but I really hope they dont bring over the necro as it was in D2, but there is hope in an expansion

10. peasant

peasant IncGamers Member

Let me get this straight... This guy hurls flaming skulls, devours the souls of others, capable of calling forth dead animals and manipulating them, including blowing them up, as well as summon a wall made up entirely of zombies. And you don'tconsider him a master of the dead?! As it stand now, almost all of the Witch Doctor's abilities are directly based off the dead or can be used on the dead (specifically, his Mongrels).

11. NioTumsSpik

NioTumsSpik IncGamers Member

Its called vodoo.

Vodoo =/= Necromancy

12. SlechtWeerBeer

SlechtWeerBeer IncGamers Member

Dead things are dead tho. It wasn't a dispute over Necromancy, but master of all things not showing signs of life.

13. Kiroptus

Kiroptus IncGamers Member

According to Blizz they wanted to make the WD a controler of all gross things in Jungle, like Bats, Snakes and Spiders. The zombie/mongrel stuff is more related to Tribal Voodoo.

14. paulblasi4

He belongs on the front cover of National Geographic. Sorry, it doesn't excite me or read "master of dead".
    I mean just say the name out loud for a moment. "Witch Doctor". Do you really want to play something called a Witch... Doctor.... where as a NECROMANCER is something I could kill the devil with.

15. paulblasi4

Exactlyyy. :yes:

16. Telzen

Telzen IncGamers Member

Yeah, and the voodoo is only one part of the Witch Doctor. The rest is jungle stuff. Now I like the Witch Doctor and think its great, but its not a master of the (un)dead.

17. peasant

peasant IncGamers Member

Indeed, Voodoo and Necromancy are not the same, they are however means to the same end (controlling the dead) in the world of Diablo.

However, the Witch Doctor's ability to control the dead is a fairly important aspect to the character's overall theme. Taken from Blizzard's official website:

In the linked article, the part in bold was repeated/emphasized in caption in another part of the same article. Now, if the Witch Doctor's mastery of the dead was not a major aspect of who the Witch Doctor is as a character, why would they have done this?

18. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

I think we need to acknowledge that necro is out. And we get bobo the clowning village idiot instead.

However, if they wanted to do it, they could give the necro bone, shadow and spirit trees.

Make him really dark. Bone would be similar to D2, shadow would be offensive and curse based. No defense at all. Spirit would be the summoning of the undead but focus it on single SERIOUS summons and include pet buffs in that tree.

19. Doctor Salvador

Doctor Salvador IncGamers Member

I thought everyone already got out all the WD hate?

Anyway, the necro can still be implemented just like Zarni and some others have been saying. The necro would have to drop the poison and maybe even curses, but Priests of Rathma have more up their sleeves.

The Necro still is the reigning summoner, whose role has not been taken up by the Doctor. He's still got his skellies and hordes of the undead to do his bidding, the Necro could be based AROUND his army.

His bone/magic skills could be the support fire, taking care of pesky ranged enemies and doing extra damage to bosses and uniques. Maybe bone wall could be revamped to deal damage to enemies (And not be a distraction to your own troops . . .)

He could also dish out enemy debuffs and skellie buffs to beef up his army. Maybe the army itself will be too frightening to behold, weakening enemies and making them run away in terror, making them go mad and attack eachother whilst fleeing, making enemies join your army, freezing them in their frightful state while just standing there and being beaten on.

Methinks the Necro lives still.

20. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Thank you for yet more sig material. :smug: