Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Necromancer

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by XtasyGrizzly, May 14, 2005.

1. XtasyGrizzly

XtasyGrizzly IncGamers Member

Necromancer

Im thinking of to start a Bonemancer here´s the questions

1: Some fast and good places to mf with him?
    2: What gear shuld i use thats not that expencive
    3: are they good :uhhuh:

- Xgrizzly

2. colony

colony IncGamers Member

1: Meph's out as it takes too long without tele'ing, and Baal would be very hard without a merc with some serious killing power for the Unravellers. Pindle can be good, if you can get enough MF on and still cast at a reasonable speed. The lvl85 areas could work too, but bone necs just aren't very good for MF'ing in general from my experience

2: If you can't get the really nice items (godly rare circlets/ammys, a certain 3 socket runeword armour, etc), then standard caster items are what you need. Things like Vipermagi, Wizzy, Harley. If you have SoJs or BK rungs then they will work very well, the mana bonus on SoJs really is amazing. If you haven't got either then rare resist/mana rings are good too. FCR is good too if you can get it with some nice mods.

The FCR breakpoints you need to aim for are either 75% for 10 frame casting, or 125% (Very hard to get without some good items) for 9 frames. Also don't forget to put 1 point into Clay golem, golem mastery and Summon resist. Even 1 point in each gives you a good tank in Hell that can take a bit of a beating before collapsing

For gloves either Trangs gloves or Magefists (If you need more FCR), or Frosties if you need more mana are good. For the boots rares can be the best option, or if you have them then Sandstorm Treks are also useful for the stat bonuses and FRW/FHR.

For the belt Arachnids is the best option, over every other belt, except for TGods in certain situations (Gloams). For your Amulet, again a rare will probably be the best option without a Mara's. Try to look for +Skills and then resists. IIRC you can get 10FCR on rare ammys. If you have lots of PGems to burn then you could try to cube a good caster ammy (Pamethyst/jewel/ral rune). It gets 5-10 FCR and mana regen as 2 of the pre-set mods, so you can make a very nice one.

What shield you use depends on whether you get max block or not. I like all my characters to have max blocking where possible, especially sorc/necros. They only get 2 life per point in Vit, and depending on your choice of shield you'll need to have at least 185 DEX at lvl75+. Homunculous is probably the best shield for general PvM playing (40 res all, +2 all skills), along with Stormshield (35% DR, big cold resist).

The best choice for your merc and thats a HF merc, the slow is helpful in some places, and none of the other auras will help you much. A barb could work if you dont mind him wandering off to kill things when you dont want him to.

Charms can be used to fill in for whatever your items are lacking.

3: A bone necs not going to solo Hell Baal at p8, but can do well in most parts of Hell at p3-p5 depending on how many +skills items you have. The main problematic areas will be all the tombs in Act 2 Hell, with the magic immune unravellers, and zombies, as well as the 2nd wave of Baal's minions.

edit: added info on FCR breakponts and ol' gumby

3. XtasyGrizzly

XtasyGrizzly IncGamers Member

okey.. thanks alot :thumbsup:

4. rsFdii

rsFdii IncGamers Member

Hell Pits would be excellent for runs, as well as Pindleskin. Equipment on the cheaper end of the spectrum would probably include...
    Tarnhelm, any amulet with skill bonuses and life, any wand with skill bonuses, Moser's Blessed Circle with diamonds or Lidless Wall, Stealth runeword or Skin of the Vipermagi, fast cast and mana rings, Bloodfists or Magefists or Frost Burns, and rare boots with resists and magic find.

5. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

You could farm Meph quite easily in my opinion because .... I do it all the time with my necros :thumbsup: :

- Quality Vs Quantity. Meph does well dropping on players 1-3. Player3 to players4 to minimize the "no drop". You don't necessarily need to have Meph at p8 to get great items.

- Even a pure boner could have some backup skill points spent on the summoning tree. I could be wrong because that's one build I haven't done yet (I like hybrids with minions) but I don't think so. You could easily have 6-7 skeles as meat shields. Add a clay golem and merc and you should be really safe.

- A good Act2 merc with crushing blow (Hone Sundan and Guillame's Face and a good armor) will take down Meph quickly all by himself and one hard point into Clay Golem with +skills will have ~ 50% slow on Meph. Either Decrep or use a Reaper's Toll for the merc and the ctc Decrep and Meph will move like mud. Plus, he will target the clay golem first and you can always recast him on the other side of you while spamming your damaging bone spear/spirit.

- having a Naj's Puzzler on swith is something I have for all my necros. FCR and huge charges is great on switch and you could reach Meph almost as fast as a natural sorc ... so mobility isn't a problem.

- like I said, your merc will be destroying Meph ... and even though Meph cannot be leeched from he will target your clay golem. Being decrep'd and slowed will cause him to do small damage on p1-3 and it shouldn't take more than 20 seconds to take him down. This is from a summoner-leaning build ... I would imagine that having a bone-leaning build with summons would take Meph down real quick anyways because your summons should hold up - and you have huge magic damage.

Use any of the boner guides in the necro strat and you should be all set.

6. colony

colony IncGamers Member

Oops, how did I forget about Stealth?:bonk:

Tal and Eth for 25 FRW, 25 FCR, 25 FHR and 15% mana regen...

Great early on and great at the end if you can cope with the almost complete lack of resists.

Also, don't make the mistake of putting anything into Energy. You'll be emptying belts full of blue pots early on, but you need those stat points for more life and/or dex. Frosties will almost completely cure most of your mana problems at lvl29, and later on you can switch them for Magefists/Trangs for more FCR

edit @ bill_n_opus: A summoner hybrid is quite possible if you use the Marrowwalk bug, but without it the synergies for spear and spirit will suffer, and it can take quite a bit of good +skills gear to get good skeles and good bone skills. The skill point usage on bone necs is very tight without Marrowwalks (20 Spear/Spirit, 20 in Bone Prison/Wall, and some into Teeth).

However, a hybrid does have the advantage of actually being able to kill magic immunes.

7. JicamaEater

JicamaEater IncGamers Member

I had a Bonemancer. He ran Hell Baal about six times. Ran as in "spent about twenty minutes working on it." But don't be totally scared off...he sucked. His life was at 620 and he had many skill points that did nothing (I don't feel too bad about that).

In general, I would sum up MFing with a Necromancer in 1.10 in one skill: Corpse Explosion. It makes /players 1 runs so fast that I would say it absolutely makes up for the lessened drops. I've run RoF and Pit with Clyde using CE for the main killing, and they're quick and effective. Even if the build sucks you can get the CE after the first kill and then you're chugging. (I got Wolfhowl on my first RoF run!)

Also, for a Bonemancer, unless you kill very fast I would reccommend a ranged merc (Act I, they do more damage) because ideally you'll keep yourself safe by holding the monsters in prisons. However, this must be balanced against the power of CE since sectioning off monsters like this can reduce its effectiveness and the prisons will get in your way if you go kill-crazy. There's no right way, that's why I love this game.

8. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

Going pure bone is commendable ... but more difficult as you said because of tight skill point placements.

Personally, if you use Marrowalks, you can have the best of both worlds.

Using the skill point planner at the other place that we cannot name you would get a decent pure boner .. but it would seem to be more effective in PvP.

Using Marrowalks, you would get a 2600-2700 Spear, 3400-3600 Spirit with 20 in Skeletons and 2 in Skele Mastery from the Marrowalks and a point in Clay Golem, Summon Resist and CE ... finished at level 90.

These numbers are also without any skillers involved or Annihlus (I wish!) considering a pretty nice setup.

Homun, Shako, Mara's, etc ... but perfectly attainable.

If you decide to go hybrid then a Might Merc is a viable choice alongside the HF merc.

If you want to MF with a boner then you will have to use CE (IMO) because of the mass killing ability.