Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Necromancer help

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Itchies, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Itchies

Itchies IncGamers Member

Necromancer help

hey i recently started diablo 2 and I have a lot of questions. I am in the middle of act 2 and my necromancer is lvl 22.

I am seriously wondering though if I screwed up his build. For his stats I put a lot into mana and some into life and little in strength and dext. But I'm more worried about the skills. I have 2 pt skeleton, 6 point skeleten mastery, 3 pt skeleton mage, 2 pt clay golem, 2 pt golem mastery, 1 pt blood golem, 1 pt bone armor, 2 teeth, 1 pt bone spear, 1 pt corpse explosion, 1 pt amplify damage, and 1 pt iron maiden. so am I okay or screwed?? :tongue:

thanks for ur time :grin:

2. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Banned

You might want to think about rebuilding since you are only level 22.

Check the Necromancer Forum for different builds and strategies.

If you really play Classic, the Classic Forum might be a good place to check too.

3. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

It sounds like you're building an untwinked summoner necro. Here's the basic skill setup for one:
    20 Raise Skeleton
    20 Skeleton Mastery
    1-20 Corpse Explosion
    1-20 Skeletal Mage
    ~5 Summon Resist
    1 Golem Mastery
    1 Clay Golem

For a more detailed guide, check out the necromancer forums. :thumbsup:

4. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

If I were you I'd rebuild.
    All the stat points in Energy are wasted if you are indeed building a summoner.

When you start over focus on putting points into skellies, and get amp damage and corpse explosion. 1 clay golem and 1 golem mastery will do until you can allocate spare skill points. Even then you probably don't really need more points in there

Read Nightfish's Skelliemancer Guide for additional info.

5. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

And of course 1 point in Amplify Damage and 1 point in Revive.
    If I were you, I'd go with only 1 pt in Mages (prereq).
    The rest can go in defensive skills like the Bone Armor synergies (with only 1 point in Bone Armor).

Regarding stats :
    - Strength : just enough for your final gear
    - Dexterity : 0
    - Life : 100~200 vitality depending on your gear/game abilities
    - Mana : all the rest (CE has a high mana consumption)

6. Itchies

Itchies IncGamers Member

wah, this'll be the third time starting over :sad2:

thx for the help tho :azn:

*hey I looked at some of the faqs and my skills are pretty close to the summon/bone one which is pretty much what I was going for, a necromancer that summons but takes some part in the fighting too. But I'm comfused, everyone seems to agree with maxing skeletons but aren't the golems a lot stronger :tongue:

7. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

Just thought I'd point out that oOmpie and Frosty completely contradicted each other :rolleyes:

8. Phesto

Phesto IncGamers Member

If you're making a summoner just put 3 into vitality per level and save 2 for strength, and when you get some armor or something that may help you, use those extra points to reach the requirement.

9. GotFriana

GotFriana IncGamers Member

No the golems arent stronger, they can t compare with the squeletons.

I dont see anything so terrible in your characted that you actually have to rebuild. Most necros builds, specially summoners have a lot of skills points to spare at the end of the build so you can easily go for other trees.
    I think your character can be good still, ok maybe he wont end up being perfect but he should be able to finish hell later with no problems.
    What I d do in your place is stop investing points into Energy, it is hard at the begining but that s what pots are for, as you gain lvls your mana pool will increase and you ll also have better items to provide extra mana. Personally I like dex enough to max block with the Homunculus, but I guess you can pass that investing all your next points into Life and Str enough for your end game gear.
    About the skills stop spreading your points, imo early in game more important than Squeletons Mastery is to increase Summon Squeletons, put all your points into that from now on, except one in Decrepify and Summon Resist (+prerequisites). That ll help you all the way through normal and nightmare and you will not need to spam CE so often.

10. Itchies

Itchies IncGamers Member

o ok. how come the guide that comes with the game says that skeletons will become less useful and die rly quick later on in the game and it says that golems are better and ppl at blizzard prefer golems? :grin:

11. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

More than one poiny in summon resist? I've never heard of such a thing. With a few +skills, it the returns will be extremely diminishing, not to mention that you can also resummon.

12. GotFriana

GotFriana IncGamers Member

Patches and patches over patches have made the golems rather useless as killers, their only function now is to act as tanks. They were much better in previous patches but not anymore after 1.10 and I dont think anything has changed with the last patch, I m sure the calculations and statistics may be found in the Necromancer s forum on this site. The golem that is still usefull through all the game is the Clay golem, it slows enemies and has an enourmous amount of hit points in hell even with only one point invested in that skill but dont expect it to kill much by itself... Other golem that has some marginal uses is the Iron Golem, depending on what you use to create it.

I ve played with a Necro all the way to hell and finished the game and skellies dont die and they are extremely usefull. Ancients, Key runs, Magic Find, WSK, Dclone, the skellies will allways be there with you. Except when an Oblivion Knight casts Iron Maiden, but who doesnt die then? :rolleyes:

13. seralph

seralph IncGamers Member

In Lod it's more or less pointless to put statpoints into energy. If you play classic and want to use CE effektifly you should go like Frosty mentioned.