Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Necromancer Curses

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Chiller_babe, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Chiller_babe

Chiller_babe IncGamers Member

Necromancer Curses

Hi All :clap:

I am in the process of rebuilding my sadly deceased necromancer.

Last time I dutifully put a point in all the curses. Having died at about lvl70 I started rebuilding and then thought :scratch: why all the curses.

In fact the only ones I used were really amp and decrep, occasionally terror when my merc got mobbed at lower levels and the others I must have used the others maybe once each!

I am playing a skellymancer with a point in all summons and corpse explosion(about 11 after +skills) maxed skellies/mastery and the rest I was going to plow into bone spear/synergies.

Does anyone use any of the other curses or shall I just save my points :scratch:

Chill

EDIT I know Stinger will say I'm not built properly without Lower Resist - but other opinions too PLZ

2. Basketcase

Basketcase IncGamers Member

Dim vision is really a godsend as it stops those damn archers and the souls from firing. Always worth a couple of points.....

3. Frezzist

Frezzist IncGamers Member

The duration of dim vision is pathetic in hell at the one point level. Terror, then Decrep is better for me than DV. My 1.09 curse set-up was amp, terror, decrep and lower resist. I did try the whole 1 point to all curses for 1.10. And, yeah, amp, decrep and terror can now handle all situations for the summonmancer even at 1 pt. But the AI curse attract combined with CE can offer your necromancer some amusement while your minions fight those in front.
    But it's not necessary.

4. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

I personally like using Confuse every now and then. I can also see how Attract could be quite useful since you can't exactly tell your minions, "no, go hit the boss monster over there giving everyone in a 10-mile radius 300%ed." Best part is you get to use the monster's own aura against them. Life Tap is great for keeping your minions alive in tight situations. I'd say only go for Lower Resist if you have a decent amount of +skills, like 6+ or so. It's actually more effective than amp when CE-ing phys immunes.

5. Chiller_babe

Chiller_babe IncGamers Member

I thought that you couldn't cast attract on the boss-monsters which is why I never used it - maybe my mistake:)

I like the point of lifetap - that could be very useful for saving minions/merc!

Thx for replies - any more welcome :thumbsup:

Chill

6. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Well noticed how I worded it... as in I've never used it myself either.

Where's STINGER when you need him?

7. Khianna

Khianna IncGamers Member

You can't cast attract on the bosses.

I am currently having the same dilemma though. I know I want lower resist. With my last nec I just used dim vision with a couple points in it along with some CE and Amp. All my other points went to waste. I suppose if you force yourself to branch out after having a lot of experience with one, gives you another way to play with the bad guys by having points in all. With plus gear had around 10 or so and you can blind a good portion of the screen. May not be the fastest way to kill things, but it keeps you safe when the screen is full of archers. Or those dang porcupine shooters.

8. masakerr

masakerr IncGamers Member

I'm like the original poster, I mainly use Amp and Decrept, but some times Confuse is just plain fun.

Masa

9. xeyloderixed

xeyloderixed IncGamers Member

i only ever used amp and decrep. all the others u can live w/o. as far as terror/dv goes, if u can ever cast it on ranged attackers, u are close enough that just resummoning ur golem does the same thing. imho they arent worth the points.

the other curse u might want to think about is lower res. pretty self explanatory.

10. det

det IncGamers Member

Decrep, DV and confuse are my main curses. I don't get LR...as I use skellies or bones..so no use for it really. Why should I help random stranger sorcs that will only call me names anyhow ? :lol:

11. xeyloderixed

xeyloderixed IncGamers Member

for those doing pubby runs. makes the runs a hella lot faster

12. Prez

Prez IncGamers Member

Never fear, Stinger will show up...
    He doesn't have 2k+ posts by being a lurker :flip:

Honestly, the AI curses have limited usefullness, with the dim vision curse being the only one that I use regularly. You could defintely substitute for confuse/attract with terror which is a pre-req of decripfy for most situations. Lower resistance is useful in parties, but if you play solo, you can defintely get by without. I rarely use lifetap and iron maiden which are both pre-reqs of lower resistance.

Honestly, I think that you could probably save points without hurting much by not getting confuse, attract, lifetap, iron maiden and lower resistance. All depends on how you play and with whom you play.

Prez

13. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

As a long time death junkie, that is to say, I suck, I absolutely love confuse! As an example, I was trying to get my latest soon to be dead necrodude past the Baalsac in norm. In WSK, confuse makes all those explody and shooty bad guys beat on each other, allowing my weak skels and weaker golem and even weaker A1 merc to wack the evil (sts). I use it almost as much as the decrepify curse, but it's much cooler.

Confuse - not only is it useful, but it's funny.

14. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Do as you wish, but when you are partied LR is just too nice not to have especially now when you look at every game and 1-2 out of 8 are melee and many times you find nobody is melee. Sure its a few "wasted" points to get it but use it and its not a waste.

Personally I look at DV as sor of a pain in the butt. It does great but you can do anyhting but blind them as if you amp they just start shooting again and the skill at lwer lvls barely lasts long enuff to help.

Attract and confuse IMO are very nice for any build but completly optional for a summoner however for a Boney or Golemancer there are extremely helpfull to basically give you free minions.

Now I am no Necro guru, but i have seen a lot in this game and i study what people do wiht thier "strange" builds and look at how I can adapt little bits and pieces to what I like.

Early in 1.10 Classic I had a Skellymancer, and nobody, I mean NOBODY in classic had a Skellymancer and they all laughed at me, called me noob, bitched about lag and all taht stuff all while they sat behind my "moving bone wall of safety" casting and typing and typing more than casting. A guy I know that plays all kinds of Necro made the strangest build I ever saw. I dont think he killed much of anyhting but he flat out owned in CS runs and he would run out infromt of everyone and cast Dim Vision, Confuse and attract and he use LR a lot also. He had a fire golem that he casted a lot and he used many other curses also and used CE also but he had not one single thing to give him a corpse other than the monsters fighting each other.

Now one build I intened to try so is gong to be a Boney and i intend to make use of Attract and Confuse with this build and i mean use it a ton. It will probably kill me but I think that it will work.

15. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

My God, exceuse me but that was tuff to read.......i got interrupted like 5 times typing that.....i dont know why these people at work always bother me wiht work stuff!

Who has 2k posts?

16. WingBlade

WingBlade IncGamers Member

I had a few necros in 1.10 my last 1, I tried 2 follow Xey's necro guide... it worked for the most part - until the stoopidity of my mind got the better of me.

The 3 necros I've built and killed have always died while running in WSK 2 or 3... and when I mean run - that's exactly what I did... RUN!!!!!!!!!!

For the curses, what I end up using near the end was AMP / Decrep / LR once in a while... and of course CE (multiple times). I just enjoy blowing corpses up... even if it annoyed other necrosummoners. :jig:

IM is not that powerful as it used 2 be... @ least from my standpoint.

And only 400 posts behind Stinger :thumbsup:

17. Kyar

Kyar IncGamers Member

Watch Out, here i come :lol:

18. Silkweed

Silkweed IncGamers Member

I personally use amp damage almost exclusively with my summoner. I only use decrepify in situations where monsters need to be subdued before they can be killed. Generally, the only things that ever need to be subdued are things like act bosses (Decrep + Clay + Cold), and might or fanatic enchanted boss packs. Otherwise, my skellies and mercenary can tank just about anything.

The point I have in dim vision I only rarely use, and I only ever use it on things like shamans, or lone ranged attackers that are out of the line of CE. Since I have maxed CE, anything on my screen is usually in range, so it's a moot point.

I have never found any use for any of the other curses. There is no way I'd ever sacrifice 50% increased CE damage (CE is half fire, half physical as I recall, or at very least 25% with decrep) so that I could get a few monsters to attack each other. If I wanted that effect, I'd mow them down and revive them. It's the same thing right, monsters killing monsters?

LR would be useful, except that I hate sorceresses and generally don't play with them when I can avoid it.

So yeah, amp damage all the way. I'd guess that about 98% of my cursing is with amp.

19. Elu's Might

Elu's Might IncGamers Member

The curses I use mostly are Amp and Dim Vision. Occasionally I use Decrepify on bad random bosses or other uniques; Act 5 Dark Archer pack with Fanaticism, Extrastrong, Extrafast and maybe with other auras from monsters nearby? They do insane damage. Then the Black Souls; A boss Soul spawned with the worst possible mods (Conviction, Might, Extra Fast?) will tear through anyone. I have seen Barbarians with 300++ vitality, CoHs and BotDs and so on die to about a singular Lightning. But: Necromancer Dim Vision is the key.
    All the minion souls will cease as soon as they are blind (of course no one goes near them), which means that a Sorc for example can take them out with spells. Though I have and use Amp somewhat I usually stick to Dec; Better to kill slow, weak and half-amped monsters than use -100 % Physres Amp. This is my opinion, though. Then again some PI mosnters won't lose their PI status with only dec.

20. Mert1

Mert1 IncGamers Member

?1 curse is terror. Use it when you leech to scare things off and you will soon be 1st on ladder